Defending corners.

We did it whilst leaving players up the park for a change too.

Don't know if that helped (less congestion in the box) or was coincidence but was good to see.

Having Bruno at the back certainly helped. Solid player and performance. Certainly not the non-committed shite bag some had him down as.

6 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

We defended 16 corners successfully agains St Johnstone on Friday.

This time last year we would have conceeded at least one goal from them, more than likely 2 or more.

Refreshing to see some progress being made in that department.

Whilst they didn't score and I don't want to be too critical I was still a little worried about how we couldn't just get the ball away cleanly right up the park

We didn't concede from them so your point is valid.

But, that wee spell in the second half when they got 6 or 7 corners in a row i was shiting it thinking it was inevitable that they would eventually score, they didn't obviously but i think we could have defended them better by clearing our lines up the way and getting out.

Wes coming from cross balls gives me the fear aswell, he looks really uncomfortable doing so.

24 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

We did it whilst leaving players up the park for a change too.

Don't know if that helped (less congestion in the box) or was coincidence but was good to see.

Having Bruno at the back certainly helped. Solid player and performance. Certainly not the non-committed shite bag some had him down as.

Agreed. MW usually had 10 players defending crosses with very little outlet for the clearances. 

Bruno might not be the fastest on his feet but is confident in the air and reads the ball well.

12 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Bruno was excellent.

The worry is when teams miss him out.

Their centre half should’ve scored and the one that Cardoso got outjumped and their striker flicked ball over bar  from four yards with no-one within 5 yards of him.

I think Mccrorie is stronger in the air, not seen him lose a challenge.

Cardosa (?)seems slow to get up for the header and can be dominated quite easily. A few of them have appeared to be fouls against him but you don't always get them in Scotland. I think he needs a bit more aggression about him.

I'd prefer a back 3, or Bruno and Mccrorie. Neither will happen though.

5 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I think Mccrorie is stronger in the air, not seen him lose a challenge.

Cardosa (?)seems slow to get up for the header and can be dominated quite easily. A few of them have appeared to be fouls against him but you don't always get them in Scotland. I think he needs a bit more aggression about him.

I'd prefer a back 3, or Bruno and Mccrorie. Neither will happen though.

I think 3-5-2 is way to go until we get a left winger.

That’d mean Bruno being more central and DJ would have cover.

MWell and Hearts will attack DJ and launch balls from our left into the back post.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

I think 3-5-2 is way to go until we get a left winger.

That’d mean Bruno being more central and DJ would have cover.

MWell and Hearts will attack DJ and launch balls from our left into the back post.

100%

Holt/Jack sitting, Dorrans pulling the strings and Pena getting into the box looks as if t could really work but Morelos clearly is a bigger goal threat with a partner. It's a no brainer for me that we try it.

14 minutes ago, Gustav said:

100%

Holt/Jack sitting, Dorrans pulling the strings and Pena getting into the box looks as if t could really work but Morelos clearly is a bigger goal threat with a partner. It's a no brainer for me that we try it.

Im still not convinced with Dorrans and Jack together tbey both sit to deep...Holt played a bit further forward than Jack normally does. You saw the difference with Dorrans when he was the spare man and coukd get forward

Just now, bluchoo said:

Im still not convinced with Dorrans and Jack together tbey both sit to deep...Holt played a bit further forward than Jack normally does. You saw the difference with Dorrans when he was the spare man and coukd get forward

He's obviously been told to sit deep though, he should be given more license to get forward.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

The fact we conceded that amount of corners against St Johnstone tells me something’s not right in fact it’s more telling than not conceding from any of them 

Aye, we need to tighten up on the wings still (especially the left), we need to stop players getting in a position to whip crosses in. Get the oppositions wide men pressed early or better yet fucking clatter them on the half way line. I do not hold much hope for Windass providing either mind you.

5 minutes ago, Dado'sMulls said:

Aye, we need to tighten up on the wings still (especially the left), we need to stop players getting in a position to whip crosses in. Get the oppositions wide men pressed early or better yet fucking clatter them on the half way line. I do not hold much hope for Windass providing either mind you.

The wide defensive areas are ridiculously bad twice St Johnstone whipped a ball across and John snoozing as it went behind him and same with Tav on the other side we need full backs more than anything and good ones 

4 hours ago, K.A.I said:

The fact we conceded that amount of corners against St Johnstone tells me something’s not right in fact it’s more telling than not conceding from any of them 

I think it was just a freak run of corners, there were a few squigglers and deflections off our players. A couple of them weren't even corners they were goal kicks. 

I think the most telling thing is we defended them all and didn't concede. 

For me, initially we were conceding corners as our FB's were actually stopping the crosses coming in, then when the run of corners started they kept coming as we were defending them well & clearing headers for more corners.

As a unit, we should be clearing them for throw-ins or up the park but I don't think we ever looked like giving a goal from any corner that came in ... & that is absolute progress compared to last season where from 17 corners we would've conceded double figures.

2 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

I see Forest fans have had enough of Warburtons inability to change games when they go behind 

he said after the game yesterday "It's not about possession - possession is irrelevant ." - funny how he kept spouting out possession stats when we got beat or drew

2 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

I see Forest fans have had enough of Warburtons inability to change games when they go behind 

Their fan I heard on 606 was saying the majority of fans were reasonably happy that slow progress was being made & they were willing to give him a couple of transfer windows to improve things. I was thinking about phoning in to warn him. The guy also said they would have been right back into the game against Derby if MacKay hadn't missed a sitter.