13 Years of Messi

12 hours ago, DW1872 said:

Best footballer of all time.

Always a pleasure to watch him. 

I've always thought that Pele was the best ever. It just depends on your age, mostly.

Maradonna was a fantastic player, but an utter fanny. Cristiano Ronaldo is also a sublime performer, but he knows he is and let's it show.

I'd liked to have seen Messi play at another club, just to see how it went for him. His international form let's him down badly IMHO. With the players available to Argentina, they should have won another World Cup, or two, with Messi.

Pele won 3 World Cups with Brazil, 1958, 1962 & 1970, with the 1970 winning team being the best team of all time IMHO. 

4 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Why does this myth keep arising about Argentina having great squads in previous world cups? It's such a lazy and inaccurate assumption. Whilst people don't understand the politics surrounding the national team either!

2014 squad

Really isn't a great squad bar 4-5 players. Aguero injured, Di Maria got injured during the tournament and Messi carried them to the final - If Higuain wasn't a bottler would be a world cup winner and people wouldn't be able to use this weak argument about a 2 month tournament defining a footballer's career. The guy has been at the top of the tree for 10+ years!

2010 Maradona woeful manager. 2006 Messi was young and hardly featured, Pekerman cost Argentina that year with his decision to take Riquelme off against Germany. Still the worst managerial in game decision I've ever witnessed. 

61 goals and numerous assists for Argentina, carried them to a world cup final practically and just carried them to the 2018 World Cup, but apparently doesn't perform for his county...

False.

Decent in groups, pish in the knock outs. Beyond me how he was even considered for player of the tournament, never mind winning it, Mascherano and Di Maria were better, and that's just Argentina.

10 hours ago, Thewhitesettler said:

I've always thought that Pele was the best ever. It just depends on your age, mostly.

Maradonna was a fantastic player, but an utter fanny. Cristiano Ronaldo is also a sublime performer, but he knows he is and let's it show.

I'd liked to have seen Messi play at another club, just to see how it went for him. His international form let's him down badly IMHO. With the players available to Argentina, they should have won another World Cup, or two, with Messi.

Pele won 3 World Cups with Brazil, 1958, 1962 & 1970, with the 1970 winning team being the best team of all time IMHO. 

It's a fantastic debate and one that will divide opinion.

Maybe it is an age thing but I think Messi dominates games like no-one else whilst having a goals to games ratio above almost everyone in history.  I also think the champions league is harder to win than the world cup these days and he has 4 of them.

It is a brilliant debate though, one I'm sure we've all had many times in the pub and will have many more times.

8 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Except when he's being a moaning shitebag and chasing the refs looking a player carded. 

He gets kicked, pulled, hacked more than the vast majority of players every single game. He gets up without rolling around every time. I also don't think he moans at all considering some of the treatment he gets. Yes he asks for cards sometimes but he's certainly not alone in that, including some of our own.

15 minutes ago, DW1872 said:

He gets kicked, pulled, hacked more than the vast majority of players every single game. He gets up without rolling around every time. I also don't think he moans at all considering some of the treatment he gets. Yes he asks for cards sometimes but he's certainly not alone in that, including some of our own.

He asks for cards quite a lot. It's not only him that does it though, that whole la liga is full of it. Embarrassing behaviour 

Yeah there's a lot of them at it, seems to be a behaviour that's crept into football in more recent times. I suppose it's the same reaction as us fans shouting at the ref or telly to brandish a card. Probably just a reaction to being frustrated that a move had been stopped by a foul.

Personally his asking for cards is one of my favourite things about him. Fuck this fetishisation of letting the referee fail to do his job properly (or "letting it flow" as cunts like to put it). If appealing for a penalty isn't unsporting, neither is appealing for the cunt who has spent the entire match kicking you with impunity to get a yellow card.

8 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

Yeah never quite understood why everyone's against asking for a yellow? What's the issue if it's warranted? What's the difference between that and asking for a foul (something nobody seems care about)? 

More to the point, every fan in the stadium and at home is screaming for a yellow, but the player apparently shouldn't.

As far as I'm concerned, when Scott Brown is running about elbowing people, any player not EITHER asking for him to be sent off, nevermind booked, or kicking his teeth down his throat isn't fit to wear a Rangers shirt.

My memory of Di Maria in that tournament was that he basically ran a lot, and got a lot of praise for it. I bet Messi is a bit indignant that that's all it takes for one of his team-mates to be said to have had a great tournament. He set up as many goals as Di Maria and scored, what, four as well?

Mascherano was excellent.

9 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Di Maria's tournament wasn't good at all, was hopeless against Switzerland but gets praised for his goal, Messi had a better game that day and did brilliant to set him up. Then DM got injured early in the next game and didn't feature again. How can you claim Di Maria was better when all he did was score a single goal in the knockouts on the back of a poor performance and then missed rest of the tournament? He didn't come close to Messi in the group stages!

Mascherano had a great tournament though.

Di Maria was more of a fishing attempt, quite a shite one tbh ?. Thought he was good though.

Mascherano was unreal.

1 hour ago, JamieD said:

Personally his asking for cards is one of my favourite things about him. Fuck this fetishisation of letting the referee fail to do his job properly (or "letting it flow" as cunts like to put it). If appealing for a penalty isn't unsporting, neither is appealing for the cunt who has spent the entire match kicking you with impunity to get a yellow card.

I wish the players of all teams would start moaning the face off the Ref about Broonaldo and his hacking.

I think that Messi tries too hard when playing for his country. 

The weight of Argentina's hopes, and expectations, lie heavy on his shoulders, and he wants to do everything. Take every free kick, take every corner, demand the ball at all times, when this doesn't happen at club level, where the workload is shared out more evenly.