How many foreign managers have been a success in Scottish Football?

hampden86

Over a period of 2 years or more??

I can only think of the wee general who got us the treble in his first season 

Even he split/lost the dressing room before Big Eck came in.

Point being, the Pedro experiment has sadly failed and we need a British and more likely a Scottish manager who understands the mentality of Scottish players, Scottish football and can organise the team into a unit and build confidence. 

I don't believe a Foreign manager can work long term or even medium term. 

Pedro might be absolute gash but if he was given the funds that Advocatt got, i suspect he would win a trophy or two.

Rangers need a GOOD manager whether he is scottish, english or foregin. I think its more about quality rather than nationality. Although, any decent manger that hasnt got ties to the club or blue specs on will require a decent wage and a wedge of cash for players. Thats the biggest issue we as a club are facing, funds.

12 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

When you think about it there's not been that many foreign managers in Scottish football.

I think that tells a story, that any really decent manager worth their salt would have absolutely fuck all to do with this Footballing backwater.

Unfortunately, I think that's the way Scottish football would prefer it.

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

Ivan Golac - Dundee United.
Paulo Sergio - Hearts.
Wim Jansen - celtic.
Dick Advocaat - Rangers.
Mixu with Kilmarnock had some success IMO.

Golac got lucky with one cup cause our squad was still pissed from title celebrations!

Sergio won one cup 

Jansen got out after one season cause he knew Rangers were going to humiliate them in 98-99.

No medium to long term success from any but Dick. 5 trophies I think. Albeit with significant funds. 

Just now, hampden86 said:

Golac got lucky with one cup cause our squad was still pissed from title celebrations!

Sergio won one cup 

Jansen got out after one season cause he knew Rangers were going to humiliate them in 98-99.

No medium to long term success from any but Dick. 5 trophies I think. Albeit with significant funds. 

I think you are being pretty blinkered there. Winning a Scottish Cup for a Dundee United or Hearts and finishing in respectable league positions is deemed as a success.

I'd need to check my timeline but I'm sure Jansen bailed due to lack of funds and backing from the celtic board - maybe even went before we confirmed Advocaat but I'd need to double check.

The last bit about Advocaat you are moving the goalposts and talking now about no long term success and funds he got - that doesn't matter. The question is who was a succes - and he was.

This seems like a thread targeted towards hating Pedro just because he's not from Britain.  Say what you will about his managerial talents but being from Portugal has fuck all to do with anything.  McCoist and Warburton were British.

28 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

This seems like a thread targeted towards hating Pedro just because he's not from Britain.  Say what you will about his managerial talents but being from Portugal has fuck all to do with anything.  McCoist and Warburton were British.

Think the thread is categorising him as a failed foreign manager and hate hasn’t been mentioned. Granted he will be given more time and it’s not beyond all realms of possibility he will be a success BUT it’s very close to being beyond all realms of possibility he will flop. ?

7 minutes ago, Hutton2008 said:

Granted he will be given more time and it’s not beyond all realms of possibility he will be a success BUT it’s very close to being beyond all realms of possibility he will flop. ?

What's that got to do with him being from Portugal?  

3 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

What's that got to do with him being from Portugal?  

You said it was “a thread targeted towards pedro just because he’s not from Britain” to which I replied hate isn’t mentioned. 

Maybe this thread is alluding to him being a flop (which is fair given the circumstances) and yes he’s foreign. 

He could be from govan born and bread - he would get the same treatment.