Pedro on a loser from day one.

backup

If this is in any way true from the herald it is a very poor show.

PEDRO Caixinha knew his days at Rangers were numbered from early on in his reign.

Keen to establish a new, progressive, European-style culture at the club, the Portuguese coach, who was sacked on Thursday, met with resistance almost from the start, with his decision to truncate the summer holiday period treated with disdain.

It brought echoes of the Paul Le Guen era which ended in similarly ignominious circumstances in 2007, the French coach lasting even less time in the manager’s job than Caixinha. Where a sour relationship with his captain Barry Ferguson was the undoing of Le Guen, a three-time Le Championnat winner as head coach of Lyon, Caixinha’s dealings with Kenny Miller were equally acrimonious.

With his “Scottish” players, led by Miller, refusing to adapt to his training methods or accept the demands the Portuguese coach was making on his players, Caixinha found himself trying to coach a squad that was riven down the middle. When he was forced to confront Miller about his alleged leaking of dressing-room information, it was the final straw. Yet, while Miller might have been banished from the kingdom, there remained a number of subjects who were loyal to the most senior player in the squad, rather than their manager.

Such was the level of mutual distrust between the feuding sides, it is believed those in Caixinha’s camp were openly questioning whether there was an ulterior motive behind the circumstances which led to Ryan Jack’s three red cards in 13 games.

But this was about more than one man’s shortcomings. There was a clear failure in leadership at the top. Stewart Robertson, the managing director, Andrew Dickson, head of football administration, and director Graeme Park, are all believed to have been in favour of Caixinha’s appointment, but there was a split with others, such as Paul Murray and John Gilligan, against it. In the early days of the Caixinha tenure, he was under the impression that he would be in charge of coaching but it soon became clear, as the club struggled to find a director of football to match their budget, that he would be responsible for player recruitment, too.

It is the “institutional failure” that Rangers director Alastair Johnston was referring to in the aftermath of Caixinha’s departure. Tellingly, though, Johnston said he believed the squad was “better than people think and perhaps a new management team will get more out of them”.

“The decision was obviously something that was under consideration for a while, we are not deaf and blind,” Johnston said. “I think the events of the last couple of weeks demonstrated institutional failure, if you will. It was a systemic problem and not just one we thought could be corrected easily with the current personnel.”

That squad was, in large part, assembled by Caixinha. There is no denying he was deserving of a significant portion of blame, too.

His increasingly bizarre public pronouncements – whether talking about the omerta of trips to Vegas or caravans and dogs – owed much to a solid yet flawed grasp of the English language and a failure to gauge properly how the press, his employers, his players and the Rangers supporters construed his comments. With half a squad weighted against him, his position was untenable.

His removal leaves a sizeable tranche of players at Rangers who are now questioning their own futures. Those who were at Murray Park on Friday noted a lighter mood around the place and Miller has been welcomed back into the fold. But not everyone will be happy with that decision, certainly not those who feel Caixinha was failed by players who showed little or no enthusiasm to adapt to his methods.

Caixinha’s exit again raises the hoary argument about the attitudes of Scottish players and their ability to change, to embrace new ideas and cultures. Player power is part and parcel of the modern game and it can take many different forms. There is outright dissent, as displayed at Rangers, which infects all who are exposed to it and there is the insidious variety – where gradual decline comes when players stop short of mutiny but nevertheless stop responding to instruction, as appeared to happen at celtic under Ronny Deila.

The Norwegian, though, still managed to secure two league titles and so celtic persisted with their experiment before ushering in the Brendan Rodgers era. That move now looks inspired and has merely compounded Rangers’ failure to improve on the failed Mark Warburton appointment with a more dubious dabble with the chemistry set in appointing Caixinha.

No doubt Caixinha will, in the days ahead, reflect on the aforementioned institutional failures expressed by Johnston. In that respect, he shares a similarity with his predecessor Warburton who was similarly hung out to dry by his employers.

The Rangers board must hold up a collective hand and say “we chose this man because he was the outstanding candidate as decided by the strictures we placed on the position”.

The next appointment is crucial and carries some caveats; they do not make for great reading. Will Derek McInnes really help Rangers to close the gap on celtic? He recorded par with Aberdeen on a sizeable budget in the league. The best he can hope for is to do the same with Rangers.

And will the board, with all their delusions of a former grandeur, be prepared to accept second best or will the next man find himself battling the kind of unrealistic expectations that have claimed the past two coaches?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"PEDRO Caixinha knew his days at Rangers were numbered from early on in his reign."

Because he soon realised he was out of his depth and Rangers was far too big for him, end of story. If his catalogue of fuck ups were to be listed it would be long ,embarrassing , damning amd prove his axing to be fair and definitely not premature. 

Just now, ianferguson said:

"PEDRO Caixinha knew his days at Rangers were numbered from early on in his reign."

Because he soon realised he was out of his depth and Rangers was far too big for him, end of story. If his catalogue of fuck ups were to be listed it would be long ,embarrassing , damning amd prove his axing to be fair and definitely not premature. 

When are we next going to win the league again? I can't wait for that to happen and you seem to know everything so please please tell me :lol:

13 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Absolute bullshit , if he had bought better players and we won games he would have been a hero.............

I'm not saying one way or another because like everyone else here - I do not know the facts but a cautionary tale...

We had an engineering manager who was knowledgeable and had a decent ability, but he was determined to be the hard man from the start. He didn't come in and say hello or introduce himself to us, he didn't try to understand what we wanted from our job, he just sat up in his office keeping everything to himself. He lasted a few months. The amount of backstabbing, and slipping his bosses information so that he'd lose his job was incredible - and everyone was doing it - because no one liked him and no one respected him. It wasn't due to him not having ability, it was due to him being a dick.

I'm not saying this is what happened to Pedro, however, what I've noticed on this forum - and perhaps this is the reason why people might think I defend Pedro (when I'm not, I'm just not calling him a cunt etc) is that people have very definite opinions regarding things they cannot know the full story about.

Basing opinion on limited information is never intelligent, look at the amount of heat Miller got from the forum at even the littlest suggestion he was a mole.

It breeds infighting for no reason, and splits us up as a support/club. I wish people would learn.

I said at the beginning the guy should never have got the job like many on here. But newspaper stories like this are just complete bullshit. If he or any of the last two donkeys bought better players and won trophies their style of management wouldn't have mattered two fucks  , they would have been heroes.

Some of the adulation after yesterdays game for Miller is comical , sure he had a good game and scored a good goal, but you give him the next five games starting and he will be back to the donkey we all know.

7 minutes ago, Alves70 said:

The mHedia in this country always have to try and find an ulterior sinister motive when a manager leaves Rangers rather than the blindingly obvious one of results were just poor.

Or some fans really aren't prepared to accept the players actually turned on the manager as stated and caused a mutiny in the dressing room after all . Its always easier to blame the manager it seems !

9 minutes ago, Alves70 said:

The mHedia in this country always have to try and find an ulterior sinister motive when a manager leaves Rangers rather than the blindingly obvious one of results were just poor.

Rarely black and white but sometimes there is such a motive and the more important matter is that it existed, rather than throwing all the blame towards the media.

Bottomline it was results but such a ongoing tendency will develop for a reason(s).

As I pointed toward, it isn't difficult to see that part of what the article is getting at was an issue and I was told back at the start that there were major issues at Auchenhowie. Thereafter we saw a metaphorical and often acrimonious cull  of the playing squad (note that it got headlines as disaffected players/agents went to the media). 

1 minute ago, buster. said:

Rarely black and white but sometimes there is such a motive and the more important matter is that it existed, rather than throwing all the blame towards the media.

Bottomline it was results but an ongoing tendency will develop for a reason(s).

As I pointed toward, it isn't difficult to see that part of what the article is getting at was an issue and I was told back at the start that there were major issues at Auchenhowie. Thereafter we saw a metaphorical and often acrimonious cull  of the playing squad (note that it got headlines as disaffected players/agents went to the media). 

Would any of these issues mattered to the fans of the club if we had signed better players and were winning trophies , i doubt it ...........

Unless Pedro gives his version and those he blames counter with theirs then we'll never really know. And as per the terms of the severance package and likely confidentiality agreement I'd expect this to be exactly how it is.

This article brings nothing fresh, insightful, factual or quoted from any relevant party.

1 minute ago, sassaaaa said:

Would any of these issues mattered to the fans of the club if we had signed better players and were winning trophies , i doubt it ...........

Results can cover-up a multitude of sins but given our current budget, IMO your premise is unrealistic.

4 minutes ago, Pedrono1 said:

Or some fans really aren't prepared to accept the players actually turned on the manager as stated and caused a mutiny in the dressing room after all . Its always easier to blame the manager it seems !

The majority of players this season were signed by PC so I can't see how that could be used as an excuse for the Motherwell or Killie results also if he thought that certain elements were plotting against him then he should have binned them in the summer.

Bottom line is in Scottish football terms he spent a huge amount of money and Rangers were 4th in the league and out of the league cup when he left he was just not good enough.

Just now, buster. said:

Results can cover-up a multitude of sins but given our current budget, IMO your premise is unrealistic.

Nothing to do with current budget , if any of the last three had bought better and we were winning trophies the fans wouldn't give two fucks about anybodies management style.

Imho if the player rebellion is true, they have spat in the eye of the club the manager and much more importantly we fans,if they couldn’t/wouldn’t accept authority they sbhould have done the honourable thing and resigned their lucrative contracts.

As long as boards surrender to player power  fans will be irrelevant, cash cows apart.