New Scouting Department Unveiled

Lloyd

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a good start. At least there is now a scout system in place. It did say that Brown was only to be scout for Scotland and UK, not like he is the head scout for UK and Europe and everything. It sounds like a small setup now but it is just beginning and I am sure will grow bigger in future. It is good news for the club. 

50 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Sounds like a start has been made and we are moving in the right direction. Does Bomber have any experience in scouting? it says in the piece he has a track record of this and I was wondering when that was. Also judging by that, Brown is essentially covering the UK, Dave Swanick covers Europe and Bille Mclaren gets promoted to give them a hand.

I dont wish to sound negative,  - and you have to start somewhere - but you get a sense of the magnitude of the task by that statement, rather than be buoyed by it. Certainly, I do.

Maybe because winter is coming I'm going into a downer.

I remember reading a book about scouting, can't remember the name think it was the nowhere men? Probably wrong but it does seem very much a intertwined job.

The guys we have appointed will have contacts and know other scouts and is a network in it's own right. I'd imagine there will be other people part timers in other countries for instance that will look at players for us etc.

Very hard job being a scout btw. Cracking book if anyone is interested and can get the name right ?

16 minutes ago, denya said:

It is a good start. At least there is now a scout system in place. It did say that Brown was only to be scout for Scotland and UK, not like he is the head scout for UK and Europe and everything. It sounds like a small setup now but it is just beginning and I am sure will grow bigger in future. It is good news for the club. 

Need to start somewhere. If we manage to unearth a few gems and sell them on then I imagine they will reap the rewards with more investment

Threads should have a trigger warning these days. 'Potentially offensive content: John Brown may be mentioned in this thread.'

Some people seem to a little too resentful of him to the point that it clouds their judgement when he's mentioned.

28 minutes ago, denya said:

'Grow bigger in the future...' He says. Hint, hint.

'Need a South American scout, Rangers? I'll just wait over here 'til you're ready. Patient South American (future scout) Bear will be ready when you are'.

Just now, Inigo said:

Threads should have a trigger warning these days. 'Potentially offensive content: John Brown may be mentioned in this thread.'

Some people seem to a little too resentful of him to the point that it clouds their judgement when he's mentioned.

To be fair, given he's been a manager at Dundee and he applied for our JJ role, its a strange one for him to now assume a scouting role given the blank canvas.

Maybe he has done scouting before in this capacity (being sent to euro opposition games differs greatly imo) that isn't such common knowledge.

But would he have been on your top 100 names for that position? 

16 minutes ago, JWAC said:

Positive interview, well worth a read. Hoping the results come sooner rather than later, we're not renowned for our patience as fans...

Glad that the infrastructure is gradually being put in place and I hope in the next few seasons we manage to hold on to some of the brighter prospects and see them in Blue.

8 minutes ago, ClydebankBearWATP said:

Need to start somewhere. If we manage to unearth a few gems and sell them on then I imagine they will reap the rewards with more investment

I agree my friend. More investment will then mean bigger scout department. I know for fact FC Porto have many scout here in my area. They have a very very big scout department.

Just now, Inigo said:

'Grow bigger in the future...' He says. Hint, hint.

'Need a South American scout, Rangers? I'll just wait over here 'til you're ready. Patient South American (future scout) Bear will be ready when you are'.

:lol: of course! I would be very happy to be a scout for Rangers here! I know the leagues very well here most especially here in Colombia and can name players that could do a good job for Rangers. 

2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

To be fair, given he's been a manager at Dundee and he applied for our JJ role, its a strange one for him to now assume a scouting role given the blank canvas.

Maybe he has done scouting before in this capacity (being sent to euro opposition games differs greatly imo) that isn't such common knowledge.

But would he have been on your top 100 names for that position? 

I couldn't give you any names. I know zilch about scouting or who's good at it or who's involved in it etc, etc, etc. I'd hazard that some of the folk that have used him as one in the past, and intend to in the future, do though. There's enough to suggest he's been successful as a scout in the past to get us beyond a sure-fire declaration of jobs for the boys.

But anyway, there's several in the thread that couldn't get past Brown. Nothing to say about the rest, clearly because Brown is involved and the anger takes over. The rest is more important and if Brown is a problem then it's a pretty small one next to the importance of the rest. You'd never know that with some guys.

1 hour ago, Rfc52 said:

Place is full of fucking spacemen these days.

Rm has always had a nut job element but fuck me it's been wild on here recently 

Last 5 years have turned some of our support into absolute greeting faced whiners.

I think the board are a bit useless but this is a good news story emanating from someone they have appointed who is clearly well connected and appointed seemingly high calibre people from outside the club.

Another day the same people would be whining that there are not enough 'Rangers men' at the the club.

4 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I couldn't give you any names. I know zilch about scouting or who's good at it or who's involved in it etc, etc, etc. I'd hazard that some of the folk that have used him as one in the past, and intend to in the future, do though. There's enough to suggest he's been successful as a scout in the past to get us beyond a sure-fire declaration of jobs for the boys.

But anyway, there's several in the thread that couldn't get past Brown. Nothing to say about the rest, clearly because Brown is involved and the anger takes over. The rest is more important and if Brown is a problem then it's a pretty small one next to the importance of the rest. You'd never know that with some guys.

I'm the same with you re scant knowledge of his scouting in the past which is why it does seem bizarre. Especially given he recently applied for a coaching job.

Don't think Allan has used him before, seems more about his suitability for understanding what it takes to be a Ranger which is indeed huge. But only a part of it.

If Allan wants him and has identified his as the most suitable candidate then great. I've googled it and can't find much about his scouting successes in what I'd say are a true scouting manner (perhaps others can provide links to the Tav and Vardy circumstances), hopefully they will be more evident to our benefit in the months ahead.