Lloyd

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, ClydebankBearWATP said:

I remember reading a book about scouting, can't remember the name think it was the nowhere men? Probably wrong but it does seem very much a intertwined job.

The guys we have appointed will have contacts and know other scouts and is a network in it's own right. I'd imagine there will be other people part timers in other countries for instance that will look at players for us etc.

Very hard job being a scout btw. Cracking book if anyone is interested and can get the name right ?

For most it's a lonely job and you don't get paid very well. Travelling everywhere in rain, sleet and snow, having to deal with parents who think their kid is the next Messi. I believe you don't really get more than a stipend / retainer that barely covers your travel costs unless you are involved in the day to day scouting at clubs like for opposition or first team players and are salaried.

At academy level quite often you have long related performance pay contracts for players you scout that make it to the first team but sometimes they can be sold just before the clause kicks in after so many games etc.

6 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Really want him to be asked if auchenhowie is worth the running costs for youth development given the lack of talent we've had out of it in recent times. 

I was under the impression this is what Lotto / Bricks was used for and it was largely self sustaining on that front.

Do the club kick in the shortfall? Is there a shortfall? Genuine question as I don't know the answer. Maybe @Elfideldo knows the answer.

8 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I'm the same with you re scant knowledge of his scouting in the past which is why it does seem bizarre. Especially given he recently applied for a coaching job.

Don't think Allan has used him before, seems more about his suitability for understanding what it takes to be a Ranger which is indeed huge. But only a part of it.

If Allan wants him and has identified his as the most suitable candidate then great. I've googled it and can't find much about his scouting successes in what I'd say are a true scouting manner (perhaps others can provide links to the Tav and Vardy circumstances), hopefully they will be more evident to our benefit in the months ahead.

I guess coaches sometimes scout and scouts sometimes coach.

I mean, I'm not sure it's not nepotistic in some way, but in football a bit of that doesn't bother me as much as it does some. And I'm quite happy to let Mark Allen and his scouting network live or die by its results. I don't mind people scrutinizing it either. It's the blind, incontinent rage he brings out in some people.

Despite the fact I could get wound up we have went this long without this is a good day for us - finally a proper scouting infrastructure.  Bottom line is we have went from having fuck all to debating the merits of individuals on the team.  There is a proper experienced head of there, if individuals do not perform they can be replaced, if they do happy days!

When at the c1872 meeting with Robertson, I'm sure he also acknowledged about using ex-players as a woefully untapped resource when identifying or scouting players etc.

If heard a few of the ex-pros mention that they would gladly do but have never been approached. 

28 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Last 5 years have turned some of our support into absolute greeting faced whiners.

I think the board are a bit useless but this is a good news story emanating from someone they have appointed who is clearly well connected and appointed seemingly high calibre people from outside the club.

Another day the same people would be whining that there are not enough 'Rangers men' at the the club.

We had people moaning on here after a decent 3-1 win (and the only goal we lost was a stunning free kick). But on your other point, yep, it is a good news story... finally.

2 hours ago, cushynumber said:

Sounds like a start has been made and we are moving in the right direction. Does Bomber have any experience in scouting? it says in the piece he has a track record of this and I was wondering when that was. Also judging by that, Brown is essentially covering the UK, Dave Swanick covers Europe and Bille Mclaren gets promoted to give them a hand.

I dont wish to sound negative,  - and you have to start somewhere - but you get a sense of the magnitude of the task by that statement, rather than be buoyed by it. Certainly, I do.

Maybe because winter is coming I'm going into a downer.

Agreed.

The scale worries me.  In reality I would expect a number of people to be working under them within a set geographical area to spread the net as wide as possible.

One man cannot cover the whole of the UK.

Perhaps this is in place but just not part of the structural announcement.

9 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Good news that we have a scouting system in place.

I bloody knew Brown would end up getting some sort of paid role at the club :lol: 

I think you have just posted what I was wanting to say, but did not want to seem negative about Brown :mutley: it was just a matter of time until his 'efforts' was rewarded, we can only hope he finds another Vardy. :whistle:

That thread last week slagging Allen for not doing anything and being too quiet. :lol:

Really happy to see this, don’t know much about the guys he has appointed but they seem to have good CVs behind them. Excited to see the players they come up with.

32 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Really want him to be asked if auchenhowie is worth the running costs for youth development given the lack of talent we've had out of it in recent times. 

The big English teams are awash with talented youngsters that they loan out or release every single year.  We should be picking up those guys when and where we can.  I think we'd have more joy doing that, than developing our own youngsters.  We seen with Billy Gilmore that any promising youngsters will get snapped up from under us anyway.  

3 hours ago, Junior Soprano said:

See before the usual pish starts with John Brown. 

He scouted Jamie Vardy and told Charles Green to sign him when we’re in the lower leagues. Green dingied him.

IIRC he was who recommended we go after Carlos Cuellar, who gave us stellar service and a fat profit.