GOAT

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The full article is a decent read if anyone is interested:

Andy Scoulding is ready to return the favour at Ibrox after being handed his big break in football by one of the architects of nine-in-a-row.

Ewan Chester spent two decades at Ibrox and helped Graeme Souness, Walter Smith and Dick Advocaat win 35 major trophies, including 15 championship successes and the fabled nine titles.

Those glory days, when Rangers reached the equivalent of the Champions League semi-final and the final of the UEFA Cup, have been eclipsed by the success of Brendan Rodgers’ celtic in recent seasons.

New chief scout Scoulding is part of a new look technical team put together by director of football Mark Allen as the Light Blues bid to restore their fortunes under a new manager.

Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes remains the favourite to succeed Pedro Caixinha and Chester insists the former midfielder is the perfect fit for the club.

The Rangers board are considering all options before making their move for their preferred candidate, but another few days won’t bother McInnes if he gets the nod as Chester revealed the former Morton skipper waited seven years for a switch to his boyhood idols.

Chester was head of recruitment at Fulham for three years from 2005 when Chris Coleman was in charge and Scoulding was starting out on a career that would later take him to Liverpool and England with Roy Hodgson and Valencia with Gary Neville.

“My scouting staff was quite defined in terms of who covered which games and we were looking at Spurs over a number of matches before we were due to play them in the league.

“One of those games was a League Cup fixture against Arsenal and we knew they tended to play a skeleton side in that tournament, so it made more sense for one of the senior scouts to watch another opponent that night.

“Andy was so full of enthusiasm and was keen to get involved so I cleared it with Chris Coleman and our managing director, David McNally. Andy went to White Hart Lane and gave me a comprehensive report of the match he had seen.

“I left Fulham in 2007 and Andy clearly struck up a rapport with Roy Hodgson when he replaced Chris, because Roy took him to Liverpool and then onto England.

“We remained on friendly terms. In fact, Andy even asked me to scout for England when Roy was in charge.

“I ran the rule over four opponents between 2013 and 2014. I was with Norwich as director of player recruitment by then, but manager Chris Hughton was happy to give his consent for my part-time international duty.

“I’ve kept in touch with Andy and met him a few times since. We exchanged texts when he moved to Valencia with Gary Neville in 2015. I told him it was a challenge he couldn’t refuse to work in a different league, a new system and another style of player. I’m sure that experience will stand him in good stead.

“He’s now taken on the extra responsibility at Rangers and it’s a great challenge for him at a fantastic club. I wish him well.”

Chester once urged Walter Smith to sign Steven Davis from Fulham and was so confident the Northern Ireland skipper would be a hit in Scottish football he offered to fall on his sword if it didn’t work out.

He said the same to Dick Advocaat about Claudio Reyna and two of his most memorable captures for the Light Blues were Italian imports, Lorenzo Amoruso and Marco Negri.

However, one of the players he was proudest to see sign for the club is McInnes, the man now tipped to become only the 16th manager to permanently lead the club.

Chester added: “The arrival of Derek at Rangers in 1995 is one of the signings that gave me greatest satisfaction as we’d watched him for seven years previously.

“I first saw him playing for Morton at Meadowbank as a 16-year-old and his ball retention rate was fantastic, around 98 per cent, but the vast majority of his distribution was square, back and deep.

“As he progressed and became captain at Cappielow he was far more influential and involved in set plays, assists and I kept Walter Smith and Archie Knox fully informed.

“At the age of 23, Derek’s time had come and he signed. He took part in some massive games under Walter and, later, Dick Advocaat where he played a specific role for the team.

“Derek is one you always thought would go on to become a manager because he was tactically a very clever player.

“He’d be ideal as the next Rangers manager. He’s the best option by a country mile and ticks all the boxes. He has served his apprenticeship and can’t take Aberdeen much further. He’s ready for the next stage in his career and has the personality to succeed at Ibrox.”

Chester may have been a journeyman midfielder with clubs such as Morton, Workington Town and Hong Kong Rangers, but after qualifying as an FA licensed coach he worked with Oldham before catching the attention of Rangers.

His CV is impressive - he helped contribute to 35 major trophy successes at Rangers, worked with mentor Archie Knox and close pal Richard Gough in securing Livingston’s Premiership status.

He has worked with Fulham when they were flying high in the Premier League and also helped Norwich secure promotion to the top flight.

He formed a close relationhip with Brighton boss Hughton, who remains a pal, and worked with him on the south coast, as well as Norwich and Birmingham, where he was more recently chief scout and football consultant.

He’s currently mulling over offers from the MLS but would love to stay in the Scottish game and is still a regular at Premiership and Championship matches the length and breadth of the country with Knox.

Chester added: “You’ve also got to trust your instincts. In August 2012 the parent club of a young player told Chris and I we could have him for the season.

“The deal was completed late and Norwich fans the following morning were utterly underwhelmed. There was a barrage of criticism we could only come up with a raw teenager from Tottenham.

“Harry Kane hasn’t done too badly for himself in the five years since!”

Pish .

What gets me is the fact the scum aren't asking their board to spend some of this money they keep bragging about ?

It's all  " look how much our players are worth " pish , when in reality , even if they were sold ( which seems to be acceptable ? ) the money wouldn't be spent .

Content to be the whipping boys of Europe perhaps .....

18 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

No it doesn't.

The sentence reads 'Those glory days have been eclipsed by the success of Brendan Rodger's celtic in recent seasons'. The inserted clause is merely an unnecessary description of what those glory days were.

If it was directly comparing them it would say something like 'by Brendan Rodger's celtic in recent Champions League campaigns.'

Besides, its the context of the previous two paragraphs that are important. The intention is that:

- Ewan Chester was part of the success at the club over a certain time period

- He gave this guy his big break

- This guy is out to return the favour and return us to winning titles, cups, etc because celtic at the moment have overtaken us.

I dont read it like that at all:p:

I’ll admit as an overseas bear it is very difficult to not click any online news source for my daily Rangers fix. 

However, it never ceases to amaze and annoy me how biased the Scottish media is against our club. 

As I browsed the online headlines this morning I found myself wondering whether I’d woken up in an alternate universe. 

Had these scummy bastards not lost? You’d certainly not know it from the headlines at least. I wish I could say it’s beyond belief, but...

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

'Andy Scoulding is ready to return the favour at Ibrox after being handed his big break in football by one of the architects of nine-in-a-row.

Ewan Chester spent two decades at Ibrox and helped Graeme Souness, Walter Smith and Dick Advocaat win 35 major trophies, including 15 championship successes and the fabled nine titles.

Those glory days, when Rangers reached the equivalent of the Champions League semi-final and the final of the UEFA Cup, have been eclipsed by the success of Brendan Rodgers’ celtic in recent seasons.'

Is the full context of that quote. It merely says that celtic have been more successful than us in recent seasons. Can't believe i'm defending the fucking Daily Record.

It was also written by Gary Ralston. Last time I checked he is not one of them.

Even worst if it’s been written by him trying cosy up to these fuckers. 

The propaganda machine has been in full flow since they kicked off their cl campaign desperate to find a single crumb of positivity. 

The reports in today's papers are about as predictable as they are inaccurate. Written with the gullible in mind we really shouldn't expect anything more by now. Totally played of the park by the French and equally humiliated in Germany yet these people are freely saying C****c have proven they can compete with the superclubs in Europe now.  Eh? How does that work? 

It’s actually quite sad how fucked up our country is.

Ye have free reign to make up false claims about us and drag our name through the mud but heaven forbid Ye mention child abuse.

celtic’s whole approach is supposed to be this whole cringe worthy freeing of the suppressed rebel mentality yet they are the suppressors they claim to despise.

Unless we turn around everything as a football club in the next few years we are going to  have a serious problem getting rid of the hinger’s on in society living off celtic’s dominance.

Half my family comes from English footballing backgrounds so I’m certainly not used to this sort of bias and one sided abuse, it’s surreal and wouldn’t happen anywhere else.

1 hour ago, cushynumber said:

Brenda hasnt won a single game a cellic park in the CL. Not one.

He has only won 2 in his full career as manager .......against the mighty ludogrets of Bulgaria by 2 goals to 1 and not forgetting beating this mighty Anderlecht side who haven't even scored a goal while conceding 15 in the process...... Yip he really is the Messiah

I predict reports of them dominating game awesome, passing stats, showing they're a CL team, BM supporters and players saying it's the best atmosphere in the world, and the rocketing value of their players. The scoreline will play a negligible part, as will their CL elimination.

It's like a wee game of Bheast CL headline bingo.

3 hours ago, With Heart and Hand said:

does this surprise anyone?

they wrote a play about losing the UEFA final in Seville for fuck sake :lol: a fucking stage play about a final they lost

throughout their whole history they've celebrated defeat and the fact they're second best.

I'd go to see that. A study of pain and exaggeration.