Stevie Gerard

Moobs

1 hour ago, Turnberry18 said:

Was a truly world class player, and one of the finest passers of the ball ever. A pity that he never won more honours, but that doesn't take anything away from how good he was.

Not a patch on Paul Scholes but that's British football culture for you. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

Not world class; not one of the finest passers of the ball in the game; not among the best players of his generation? 

Sorry but me, Pirlo and Xavi dont like this post but each to their own ??

Two of the greatest modern day midfielders who modelled themselves on him 

http://www.thecoachdiary.com/xavi-paul-scholes-is-the-best-midfield-player-of-the-last-20-years-he-would-have-been-valued-more-if-he-was-spanish/

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-andrea-pirlo-hails-9372956

23 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

I haven't even mentioned Scholes, so I have no idea where your argument has arrived from, or where it is going.

2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I haven't even mentioned Scholes, so I have no idea where your argument has arrived from, or where it is going.

Sorry mate, thought you were describing Scholes

Think your critique on Gerrard then is pretty accurate ?

I certainly wouldn't say Gerard was one of the finest passers of his generation. 

You do realise his generation included, Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, Modric, Riquelme, Alonso, Schweinsteiger? 

Nowhere near any of them. Not in the same class. 

Great player who could break at pace and had a canon of a shot off either foot but calling him a great passer is a stretch, in my opinion. 

???Reading this thread just reminds you how much Football is a game of opinions and how so many cunts can be wrong!!! 

Anybody that is not having Gerrard as world class is off their head! Watch any 1 to 11 piece with players that have played with or against him and I bet you wouldn’t find a single one that wouldn’t have him in their team. There was a period of time probably around 05-07 where he absolutely carried Liverpool and was winning games on his own. 

Just now, Brackley Bluenose said:

???Reading this thread just reminds you much Football is a game of opinions and how so many cunts can be wrong!!! 

Anybody that is not having Gerrard as world class is off their head! Watch any 1 to 11 piece with players that have played with or against him and I bet you wouldn’t find a single one that wouldn’t have him in their team. There was a period of time problem around 05-07 where he absolutely carried Liverpool and was winning games on his own. 

In my opinion 'World Class' means that if you were picking a World XI there would be no dispute as to whether you were in the team or not. Like obviously Messi and Ronaldo are world class players at the moment but nearly every other position in the team would create furious debate.

I think Gerrard and Lampard were international class players but not quite world class. Perhaps in 2005 Gerrard would have made the cut.

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

Instead of carrying on with 2 up front from 2006-2010 England would have been far more successful if they played Carrick behind Gerrard and Lampard, played Rooney up top with two wingers.

Yup, Carrick is ridiculously underrated imo

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Fabio Capello once called Fernando Redondo a 'tactically perfect player'. I think that is something you could easily ascribe to Carrick.

United signing him in 2006 was the catalyst for winning the league. 

Pains me to say it cos I hate Utd with a passion but he's outstanding, wonder if he'll be a bit like Scholes where he starts to get more recognition when he stops?