Spectating with the Enemy

Virtuoso

1 minute ago, cameron1873 said:

I have never heard that stat before about the away tickets but also not surprised. I wonder what was the last game that we never sold out our allocation 

Queens Park at Hampden maybe? Can't really think of any others we haven't sold out in recent years.

2 minutes ago, cameron1873 said:

I have never heard that stat before about the away tickets but also not surprised. I wonder what was the last game that we never sold out our allocation 

My thoughts would be Dundee United in the cup game when we refused an allocation, which if it was that then that record would actually be a lot higher. 

29 minutes ago, Virtuoso said:

An interesting and alternative view:

https://thefitbanomad.wordpress.com/2017/11/05/spectating-with-the-enemy/amp/

A decent read

Nice to see an honest, objective, balanced and positive article from the chap,a genuine football fan.

Most fans in Scotland now seem to have lost the point that football is the beautiful game, and should be best spectated without politics, religion etc intervening it's only a sport after all.

How many on here have consistently watched matches outside of Rangers and simply enjoyed the football for it;s own sake, or even paid to support another teams endeavours. 

I am guilty on both counts. When younger i would go to 2, 3 and often 4 games a week, just for the football, the excitement, the banter and the sense of belonging to the football fraternity. Preferred choices were Clydebank or Partick Thistle,and to a lesser degree Clyde, but went to many a non-Rangers game. Even on holiday down at Prestwick one of the high point for this youngster was watching a game at Ayr United against Swindon, a non event game. 

Saw Best playing for Hibs at St Mirren, Davie Cooper on a regular basis before we were even interested, Thistle beating Motherwell 8-3, had no great reason to be there, Falkirk against Clyde on a wintry night, freezing my bollocks off with 3 inches off snow and a hailstorm blowing vertically across the pitch, unable to see 20 yards, refs did not abandon games on a whim in those days, cost too much money for the clubs.

Supported Clyde to beat Hibs as that would ensure us an European place tha season, supported Airdrie against a terrific Derby team in a knockout cup final, Thistle trying for European glory and being thrashed by Hungarians, shortly sfter I'd cheered them on against the tic in a game shortly after they'd stuffed the tims in the League Cup Final. 

Went to junior games, under 23 games, reserve games.....enjoyed them all. 

Had great times discussing the game with fans of different clubs, we shared the same banter, expectations, disapointments. 

Once again credit to the Hearts fan in the article, can remember the days when the first games Rangers fans looked out for afte the Old Firm results were Hearts and Dundee then the Pollok, Petershill, Cambuslang Ranger, Benburb scores.

How times have changed for the genuine football fan and not necessarily for the better.

22 minutes ago, cameron1873 said:

Livingston away in the Championship maybe? That holds about 10k and don’t think it was ever full in our end when we played them.

19 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Nice to see an honest, objective, balanced and positive article from the chap,a genuine football fan.

Most fans in Scotland now seem to have lost the point that football is the beautiful game, and should be best spectated without politics, religion etc intervening it's only a sport after all.

How many on here have consistently watched matches outside of Rangers and simply enjoyed the football for it;s own sake, or even paid to support another teams endeavours. 

I am guilty on both counts. When younger i would go to 2, 3 and often 4 games a week, just for the football, the excitement, the banter and the sense of belonging to the football fraternity. Preferred choices were Clydebank or Partick Thistle,and to a lesser degree Clyde, but went to many a non-Rangers game. Even on holiday down at Prestwick one of the high point for this youngster was watching a game at Ayr United against Swindon, a non event game. 

Saw Best playing for Hibs at St Mirren, Davie Cooper on a regular basis before we were even interested, Thistle beating Motherwell 8-3, had no great reason to be there, Falkirk against Clyde on a wintry night, freezing my bollocks off with 3 inches off snow and a hailstorm blowing vertically across the pitch, unable to see 20 yards, refs did not abandon games on a whim in those days, cost too much money for the clubs.

Supported Clyde to beat Hibs as that would ensure us an European place tha season, supported Airdrie against a terrific Derby team in a knockout cup final, Thistle trying for European glory and being thrashed by Hungarians, shortly sfter I'd cheered them on against the tic in a game shortly after they'd stuffed the tims in the League Cup Final. 

Went to junior games, under 23 games, reserve games.....enjoyed them all. 

Had great times discussing the game with fans of different clubs, we shared the same banter, expectations, disapointments. 

Once again credit to the Hearts fan in the article, can remember the days when the first games Rangers fans looked out for afte the Old Firm results were Hearts and Dundee then the Pollok, Petershill, Cambuslang Ranger, Benburb scores.

How times have changed for the genuine football fan and not necessarily for the better.

I'll go and watch any football match that is on near where I happen to be at the time. Been to Parkhead once when we weren't playing 10 years ago. Never again though - very odd experience where even walking up to the ground I felt uncomfortable.

11 minutes ago, GWR1979 said:

Read it on twitter earlier, A balanced view of going to Ibrox as a neutral supporter. Kind of destroys the myths which other fans peddle about our Club.

Quality Read.

It does but will never be reported widely in Scotland with its celtic/snp leaning media.

29 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I'll go and watch any football match that is on near where I happen to be at the time. Been to Parkhead once when we weren't playing 10 years ago. Never again though - very odd experience where even walking up to the ground I felt uncomfortable.

Why the fuck?

1 hour ago, cameron1873 said:

Dundee Utd in 2009 would be my guess . After the whole carry on of them recharging fans for a game that got cancelled at half time and re arranged to a Wednesday night .

32 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Couldn’t pay me to walk into that midden if Rangers weren’t playing. Bizarre.

1 hour ago, cameron1873 said:

Tannadice 2013 when we boycotted springs to mind. Only 300 or so sold compared to the usual 4500-5000

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Eh?..... are you Jim white ?.....