Spectating with the Enemy

Virtuoso

4 hours ago, tannerall said:

Nice to see an honest, objective, balanced and positive article from the chap,a genuine football fan.

Most fans in Scotland now seem to have lost the point that football is the beautiful game, and should be best spectated without politics, religion etc intervening it's only a sport after all.

How many on here have consistently watched matches outside of Rangers and simply enjoyed the football for it;s own sake, or even paid to support another teams endeavours. 

I am guilty on both counts. When younger i would go to 2, 3 and often 4 games a week, just for the football, the excitement, the banter and the sense of belonging to the football fraternity. Preferred choices were Clydebank or Partick Thistle,and to a lesser degree Clyde, but went to many a non-Rangers game. Even on holiday down at Prestwick one of the high point for this youngster was watching a game at Ayr United against Swindon, a non event game. 

Saw Best playing for Hibs at St Mirren, Davie Cooper on a regular basis before we were even interested, Thistle beating Motherwell 8-3, had no great reason to be there, Falkirk against Clyde on a wintry night, freezing my bollocks off with 3 inches off snow and a hailstorm blowing vertically across the pitch, unable to see 20 yards, refs did not abandon games on a whim in those days, cost too much money for the clubs.

Supported Clyde to beat Hibs as that would ensure us an European place tha season, supported Airdrie against a terrific Derby team in a knockout cup final, Thistle trying for European glory and being thrashed by Hungarians, shortly sfter I'd cheered them on against the tic in a game shortly after they'd stuffed the tims in the League Cup Final. 

Went to junior games, under 23 games, reserve games.....enjoyed them all. 

Had great times discussing the game with fans of different clubs, we shared the same banter, expectations, disapointments. 

Once again credit to the Hearts fan in the article, can remember the days when the first games Rangers fans looked out for afte the Old Firm results were Hearts and Dundee then the Pollok, Petershill, Cambuslang Ranger, Benburb scores.

How times have changed for the genuine football fan and not necessarily for the better.

Used to do that myself back in the 70s, I went to Firhill a good few times with a mate and his Jags pals.

Was in a 10,000 crowd at Kilbowie for a Clydebank v St Mirren game. 

Stood in the middle of the old Rangers End laughing as Motherwell and Hibs fans fought all around me at a Scottish Cup second replay at a neutral venue Ibrox.

8 hours ago, Virtuoso said:

An interesting and alternative view:

https://thefitbanomad.wordpress.com/2017/11/05/spectating-with-the-enemy/amp/

A decent read

i have spectated with the scum in the  piggery in i believe the early nineties just prior to the old septic fc going bust.

this was not a very welcoming visit to peaudovillle as the septic mob did not fancy hundreds of bears taking over the traditional septic end.

the natives grew even less friendly when the gers started scoring.in fact every time Rangers scored some of our lads could'nt help celebrating and a hundred or so were  quickly shunted out of the ground by the cops.i managed to stay to the end

18 hours ago, GWR1979 said:

Read it on twitter earlier, A balanced view of going to Ibrox as a neutral supporter. Kind of destroys the myths which other fans peddle about our Club.

Quality Read.

Not expecting the lies and hyperbole regarding our club and supporters to stop any time soon but it was good to read a well written article from the perspective of a neutral.

8 minutes ago, big blue Fin said:

Not expecting the lies and hyperbole regarding our club and supporters to stop any time soon but it was good to read a well written article from the perspective of a neutral.

We need to be fighting back against the negative press which is driven by the tarriers in the media in Scotland. 

We need to do our own media and bypass the mainstream media then so be it, look at The Heart and hand podcast, brilliant from our own and not afraid to criticise either its like a fanzine. 

Papers and redtop gutter press is a decreasing business which I can see going under in the next 10 years, I read the sun report online yesterday about the new manager and words like "thrashed out a deal" should be consigned to history. No one wants the hyped up pish the media come out with it's been the same for decades. 

Remember going to watch Ayr Utd playing the tramps at Somerset hoping they would beat them and we would win the title which I think was around 1973.
Was back in the house at half time as the cunts were 4 or 5 up.
Never been to a domestic football match in Scotland unless Rangers,my son or son in law were playing.
Been at loads of matches all over England and was at the match at Old Trafford when City beat them and the match was abandoned at 1-0 due to spectators invading the pitch hoping to get the match replayed, but the FA decided the result stood and they went down.

Wonder how many free drinks went over the bar to the writer so the pub would get a great write up. Think he managed to get it all in - free rolls, reasonable prices, fast service etc etc. No need to pay  for advertising when you can get a puff piece included in an otherwise good article.

On 11/6/2017 at 11:47, GWR1979 said:

We need to be fighting back against the negative press which is driven by the tarriers in the media in Scotland. 

We need to do our own media and bypass the mainstream media then so be it, look at The Heart and hand podcast, brilliant from our own and not afraid to criticise either its like a fanzine. 

Papers and redtop gutter press is a decreasing business which I can see going under in the next 10 years, I read the sun report online yesterday about the new manager and words like "thrashed out a deal" should be consigned to history. No one wants the hyped up pish the media come out with it's been the same for decades. 

Unfortunately the red tops will be with us for some years yet and even if the printed version does eventually die then there will still be the online presence, not to mention for every positive Blog or Podcast in favour of us there will be more against.

Sorry to appear so negative but the tail that's been wagging the dog is rapidly becoming the dog.

6 hours ago, Wullies_bowly_legs said:

Wonder how many free drinks went over the bar to the writer so the pub would get a great write up. Think he managed to get it all in - free rolls, reasonable prices, fast service etc etc. No need to pay  for advertising when you can get a puff piece included in an otherwise good article.

He’s right though.