Desmond v Daly

Jonok

Just seen this on BBC site I dont know if this spat is stage managed or genuine.

BBC Scotland's investigations into the tax arrangements of a company at the time it was owned by Irish billionaire Dermot Desmond were sparked by the leaked documents known as the Paradise Papers.

It appeared that Mr Desmond, the largest shareholder in celtic FC, had owned an exclusive private jet company that used an offshore tax haven to avoid taxes.

The BBC wrote to Mr Desmond five times but he failed to respond to any written inquiries.

Media captionDermot Desmond questioned outside celtic Park

So BBC Scotland's Mark Daly approached him outside celtic Park on Tuesday last week, ahead of the celtic v Bayern Munich Champions League match.

Mr Desmond said it was "absolutely wrong" to suggest the Isle of Man Execujet company was a tax avoidance vehicle.

The next day he sent a letter to the BBC:

Here is the full text:

Dear Mr Daly,

Are you a Rangers supporter?

You ambushed me last night on the way to a celtic game in the company of my family and friends. This was unwarranted and showed no respect for my privacy.

I have not previously responded to your ill-informed questions. However, as I informed you last night, during my period of majority ownership, Execujet was tax and regulatory compliant in all jurisdictions it operated in; nor was it under any investigation. There are good operational reasons for having a presence in the Isle of Man and many international companies do so. Similarly, my aircraft arrangements and my shareholding in Rietumu are fully tax and regulatory compliant. Any allegation to the contrary is a lie.

It is part of due diligence criteria for all my investments that they are tax and regulatory compliant.

You are trying to create something that does not exist.

If you choose to publicly state that my investments are not tax and regulatory compliant or make any other untrue allegation about me whether by innuendo or otherwise, I will take action against the BBC and against you personally in both Scotland and Ireland for defamation and breach of privacy.

If you broadcast the video footage taken by your camera crew last night, I request that you broadcast it in full along with the entire contents of this letter. I also put you on notice not to delete or edit any of the video footage, as this will be required for court purposes.

Yours sincerely,

Dermot F Desmond

The papers are a huge batch of leaked documents mostly from offshore law firm Appleby, along with corporate registries in 19 tax jurisdictions, which reveal the financial dealings of politicians, celebrities, corporate giants and business leaders.

The 13.4 million records were passed to German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung and then shared with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ). Panorama has led research for the BBC as part of a global investigation involving nearly 100 other media organisations, including the Guardian, in 67 countries. The BBC does not know the identity of the source.

Paradise Papers: Full coverage; follow reaction on Twitter using #ParadisePapers; in the BBC News app, follow the tag "Paradise Papers"

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now her Majesty is being called to account is there any chance our east end friends will finally be implicated in the tax scandals ?

:pipe:

And if anyone anyone needs advice and expert obsessive information on tax matters in general including legal tax avoidance schemes please contact the following.

The Fanatical Tax Probers (FTP) c/o The celtic Supporters Association
Address: 1524 London Rd, Glasgow G31 4QA
Phone: 0141 554 6342

8 minutes ago, JWAC said:

Desmond in a letter to Daly the day after the interview.

"Are you a Rangers fan?" 

:lol:

Oh, Daly's definitely a Rangers fan.  That's why he won an award for a piece of fraudulent, bogus 'journalism' that damaged our club. 

Nothing that we didn’t know already, he’s been funding that lot with the tax money he’s saved over the years, and the cunts had the cheek to have a go at us for the same thing.

What goes round comes round, I look forward to Daly’s award winning documentary tomorrow night.

2 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Nothing that we didn’t know already, he’s been funding that lot with the tax money he’s saved over the years, and the cunts had the cheak to have a go at us for the same thing.

What goes round comes round, I look forward to Daly’s award winning documentary tomorrow night.

We did all know it but the best thing about it is the first line, his first thought was Rangers :) It's brilliant!

It's a mini meltdown considering his wealth, similar to replies you'd see in the OT.  It may not be illegal but we have to consider the morality and common sense of it all now.

Just now, JWAC said:

We did all know it but the best thing about it is the first line, his first thought was Rangers :) It's brilliant!

It's a mini meltdown considering his wealth, similar to replies you'd see in the OT.  It may not be illegal but we have to consider the morality and common sense of it all now.

Aye it shows just how much class the cunt has, spat ma tea oot when he read that :lol:

3 minutes ago, Dan Deacon said:

Just mentioned on the news there and they were very clear in pointing out that there was no suggestion of any wrongdoing by Dermot 

most if not all of the stuff in the Paradise Papers is within the law. Thats not really the point though is it mate? tax avoidance is tax avoidance is tax avoidance.