Director of Football and Signings

Shuggy

It's the usual formula, a manager comes in and signs players he knows, usually of his own nationality and from his previous league. Advocaat did it, Warburton and now Pedro. I suspect this is a way of the manager making his position safer because they are his men rather than the club's.

The problem is when the manager goes, the players may well too and that leads to issues in team formation, morale and transfer fees.

I noted Mark Allen joined the club just days after Pedro had got most of his men. I wonder how it had turned out if it was the other way around?

The point is we risk another expensive team reboot and I do not think this is the way forward. Mark Allen has a big say in this and for the next manager appointment. It should be made clear to the new manager, the club has a veto on any new players and not the manager. I am getting a bit fed up with these clear outs.

We needed clearouts after McCoist and Warburton because of the amount of dead weight in those squads. It's nowhere near as bad as it was when those two left, yes we are lacking in areas of the park namely left midfield and a partner for Morelos but the new manager at least has something to work with this time.

None of the Dutch players left the year Advocaat left, as far as I remember (maybe Snelders). 

Players will stay if they are good enough. 

It's the Director of Football's job to create a club environment where good players will want to come and play. Hopefully we will start to see the benefits of it bear fruit over the next few years. It's not going to happen overnight.

Getting rid of last year's dead wood was 100% non-negotiable if you ask me, going into another season with fucking thoroughbred donkeys like Kiernan and Garner would be criminal negligence by the club. 

Its a pisser that we find ourselves in the financial state we do, yet had to spunk millions just to build a squad for this year. But even so, look at our squad just now, it's paper thin as it is. We obviously need a fuck ton of investment to get back where we belong, but as someone else said, at least now we have the basic framework to build on.

I hope to fuck the appointment of McInnes or whoever else can be the start of a "calm" period for us (if such a thing can exist at our club) where we can press on and focus on adding quality to the squad we have, instead of shredding the shite every year. Truly hope to fuck.

49 minutes ago, theclothmonster said:

We needed clearouts after McCoist and Warburton because of the amount of dead weight in those squads. It's nowhere near as bad as it was when those two left, yes we are lacking in areas of the park namely left midfield and a partner for Morelos but the new manager at least has something to work with this time.

Virtually no top team has a front two, its usually a CF backed by a ten and I'd go Dorrans and leave Holt and Jack in midfield, with Miller on the bench.

I read about Watford recently. They are working wonders under Marco Silva but a lot of their success is behind the scenes.

They've had something like a manager a season the past 4 but never sack them during the season, each with a bit more success than previous.

This is what we need to build, a smooth behind the scenes so that when a manager goes there is no major transition

46 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

from a financial perspective, the club has a veto anyway by saying "we cant afford him". However, do we want boards picking the squad and team? surely they have to back their manager?

I would rather the manager picked the team. Its the emperors new clothes this director of football pish. A manager needs to stand and fall by his own ideas. Say a manager goes through a bad spell and wants a certain way of football, results are not great but hes under pressure but the director of football sticks his oar in. At that point you need a clear headed manager not someone who thinks "if i make the directors choice it make keep me in a job"

I agree with Shuggy, every manager brings in his own players.They need familiar faces around them that they can control ie.  "When i say jump you say how high "

That,s the way football works unfortunately these days.Will Bruno and Pena stick around now that Pedro has gone... 

Why do we need a Director of Football, it smacks of jobs for the boys. I cannot understand why Mark Allen would leave Mega Rich Man City to join us.

I have seen some of his interviews on Rangers TV and he is Typical Management speak  from the book  "Dummies guide for Directors of Football."

Call me old fashioned but the Manager should control the signing of Players. Mr Struth and Mr Souness were the perfect example of this.

We cannot afford to have more clear outs so we must work with the players that are at the club... Step forward Graham Murty .He knows what we have at senior level

and the boys coming through the development squad.He can introduce the likes of young McCorie and Hardie into a settled side.

Are Windass and Jack Rangers quality , I think not. after Ryan,s antics against Kilmarnock which was absolute stupidity (again) he cost us 2 points.

On the other hand should we thank him as this was probably last straw for board with Pedro....

So lets stop mucking about with the choice of Manager who if you believe the media ranges from that great dutchman Steve McClaren to  pretty boy Alan Pardew

Ah well time for my Horlicks

17 minutes ago, Old Geezer said:

I agree with Shuggy, every manager brings in his own players.They need familiar faces around them that they can control ie.  "When i say jump you say how high "

That,s the way football works unfortunately these days.Will Bruno and Pena stick around now that Pedro has gone... 

Why do we need a Director of Football, it smacks of jobs for the boys. I cannot understand why Mark Allen would leave Mega Rich Man City to join us.

I have seen some of his interviews on Rangers TV and he is Typical Management speak  from the book  "Dummies guide for Directors of Football."

Call me old fashioned but the Manager should control the signing of Players. Mr Struth and Mr Souness were the perfect example of this.

We cannot afford to have more clear outs so we must work with the players that are at the club... Step forward Graham Murty .He knows what we have at senior level

and the boys coming through the development squad.He can introduce the likes of young McCorie and Hardie into a settled side.

Are Windass and Jack Rangers quality , I think not. after Ryan,s antics against Kilmarnock which was absolute stupidity (again) he cost us 2 points.

On the other hand should we thank him as this was probably last straw for board with Pedro....

So lets stop mucking about with the choice of Manager who if you believe the media ranges from that great dutchman Steve McClaren to  pretty boy Alan Pardew

Ah well time for my Horlicks

A Director of Football should in theory prevent exactly that.

Anyways... The Director of Football role is different from club to club. In many clubs its merely a coordinating role where in others it might be a bit more hands on. There is a lot more to football these days in comparison to the ones you are talking about. Mark Allen is working on a new scouting network which the manager shouldnt be involved in.. 

These are just a couple of things.. 

4 hours ago, Shuggy said:

It's the usual formula, a manager comes in and signs players he knows, usually of his own nationality and from his previous league. Advocaat did it, Warburton and now Pedro. I suspect this is a way of the manager making his position safer because they are his men rather than the club's.

The problem is when the manager goes, the players may well too and that leads to issues in team formation, morale and transfer fees.

I noted Mark Allen joined the club just days after Pedro had got most of his men. I wonder how it had turned out if it was the other way around?

The point is we risk another expensive team reboot and I do not think this is the way forward. Mark Allen has a big say in this and for the next manager appointment. It should be made clear to the new manager, the club has a veto on any new players and not the manager. I am getting a bit fed up with these clear outs.

That’s why I don’t want mcinnes , we’ll be inundated with Aberdeen players that are already proved not good enough 

Why would there be a clear out.  No need for it. We have the basis of a decent side but it needs better tactics and organising (and maybe different training techniques) . One player who was poor under Pedro was also poor under previous management so he's got to go. One of the loan signings is ridiculously poor so send him back. Morelos needs a partner up front or assistance from an attacking midfielder. Players played in positions where the are more familiar with better organisation will see us get better results. Maybe a couple of signings in January required at this stage 

Bar the Mexicans and Dalcio who's a loan anyway Caxhina signed quite well Imo. Unfortunately he didn't know how to get the best out of them. Not really a clear out we need at the moment. We do however need to beef up the squad as as soon as we get injuries or need to look to the bench we're struggling.

10 minutes ago, dougal72 said:

Bar the Mexicans and Dalcio who's a loan anyway Caxhina signed quite well Imo. Unfortunately he didn't know how to get the best out of them. Not really a clear out we need at the moment. We do however need to beef up the squad as as soon as we get injuries or need to look to the bench we're struggling.

I agree. Probably chuck the man city kid in that list too the rest I totally see what he was hoping for.

I think it's a case of adding extra quality to what we have, rather than another rebuild. That's what I hope happens anyway.

Just now, stewaj3 said:

I agree. Probably chuck the man city kid in that list too the rest I totally see what he was hoping for.

I think it's a case of adding extra quality to what we have, rather than another rebuild. That's what I hope happens anyway.

Forgot about him,  a loan as well so not a problem.ive seen enough of  Alves,  Dorrans, Morelos, Jack,  Candieas,  Cardoso and John to think they  all have a big part to play under a new manager. 7 out of 11 signings being a success if it happens is a pretty good strike rate.

Just now, MasterD said:

It's a problem if the manager signs a lot of shite.

Pedro didn't have full control on signings and the next manager won't either which means they don't get to fill out team with their own diddies.

Think Pedro pretty much got who he wanted to be honest.. he may have wanted one or two more... But I don't doubt the ones that came in were his signings