Were we right to sell McKay?

BlueSuedeSambas

He's history, he would not commit to Rangers, so we sold him to Papa Warburton as he had a year left to go of his contract and would have moved for nothing if we had not sold him on. He was not good enough for Rangers, think of the men who have been the Rangers left winger/midfield; how does McKay measure up against them? He is at his level, he may get a season in the premiership at some point but he is not good enough to play for a big club down there.  Our DoF should hopefully stop these situations repeating themselves.

I wonder why his agent is now trying to talk up his worth?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, ZZed said:

He's history, he would not commit to Rangers, so we sold him to Papa Warburton as he had a year left to go of his contract and would have moved for nothing if we had not sold him on. He was not good enough for Rangers, think of the men who have been the Rangers left winger/midfield; how does McKay measure up against them? He is at his level, he may get a season in the premiership at some point but he is not good enough to play for a big club down there.  Our DoF should hopefully stop these situations repeating themselves.

I wonder why his agent is now trying to talk up his worth?

Windass Kranjcar Declan he surpasses them all by a mile.

No one in our team measures up to even players we considered average at us years ago.

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

Windass Kranjcar Declan he surpasses them all by a mile.

No one in our team measures up to even players we considered average at us years ago.

It depends where you set your standard but McKay was not Rangers standard and neither are they. We should always be striving to  get people in who are and constantly seeking/demanding that standard.

I liked him. On his day he was unplayable in this league, but that wasn’t often. 

Players sometimes just don’t have the heart for playing for us despite having the ability. I think that was clear when he only signed a small contract extension under a manager who basically adored him. 

I think he’ll go to the top but you can’t keep a player who doesn’t want to be here. There was no way we were getting more money 

21 minutes ago, Chineseboy said:

Disagree. His problem was he was surrounded by dross

He was struggling to get beyond defenders in the SPFL.  That has nothing to do with the players around him.  He couldn't create or score goals in this league and any player of real quality should be able to do that.

The 1 good game in 10 chat is a load of shite. Just like any winger they go through bad patches and then good patches, I will admit that last season was a poor one from him overall but to suggest 1 good game in 10 is utter shite.

Whilst playing for us in the 3rd Division as a 16/17 year old he had the most assists in the league yet he still got berated that year for lack of consistency. The last year in the Championship he was fantastic and was one of our most consistent players overall as well.

As for the contract situation Rangers offered him one which he felt wasn’t good enough he wanted to be up there with the highest paid players at the club the offer Rangers gave was nowhere near that. McKay came out and said after he left that he wanted to stay and was waiting for a higher offer but Pedro put him with the kids instead so he had no choice but to leave.

As for Saasas saying about him being shite for Forrest because he’s been subbed just have a read of their fan forums and you will see them wanking over him saying to give him player of the year already and his stats back that up.

Some people in Scotland don’t seem  to appreciate skill, pace and raw footballing ability they prefer wingers/attacking midfielders who get stuck in and run about like headless chickens that’s the reason Scottish football is so backwards and behind the rest of Europe. You don’t ask our Centre backs or centre midfielders to run at the opposition and beat their man so why ask your wingers to do the same. It’s as if some of our fans don’t want to be entertained.

As for the consistency, if McKay was on his game 100% every single week then we would never have been able to keep him he would be a superstar playing at a far higher level and as someone else has said the older that wingers get they should develop consistency.

9 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

He was struggling to get beyond defenders in the SPFL.  That has nothing to do with the players around him.  He couldn't create or score goals in this league and any player of real quality should be able to do that.

The thing is he did score goals. Furthermore, the only reason his assists were not that high is due to our strikers  being unable to finish . 

1 minute ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

The 1 good game in 10 chat is a load of shite. Just like any winger they go through bad patches and then good patches, I will admit that last season was a poor one from him overall but to suggest 1 good game in 10 is utter shite.

Whilst playing for us in the 3rd Division as a 16/17 year old he had the most assists in the league yet he still got berated that year for lack of consistency. The last year in the Championship he was fantastic and was one of our most consistent players overall as well.

As for the contract situation Rangers offered him one which he felt wasn’t good enough he wanted to be up there with the highest paid players at the club the offer Rangers gave was nowhere near that. McKay came out and said after he left that he wanted to stay and was waiting for a higher offer but Pedro put him with the kids instead so he had no choice but to leave.

As for Saasas saying about him being shite for Forrest because he’s been subbed just have a read of their fan forums and you will see them wanking over him saying to give him player of the year already and his stats back that up.

Some people in Scotland don’t seem  to appreciate skill, pace and raw footballing ability they prefer wingers/attacking midfielders who get stuck in and run about like headless chickens that’s the reason Scottish football is so backwards and behind the rest of Europe. You don’t ask our Centre backs or centre midfielders to run at the opposition and beat their man so why ask your wingers to do the same. It’s as if some of our fans don’t want to be entertained.

As for the consistency, if McKay was on his game 100% every single week then we would never have been able to keep him he would be a superstar playing at a far higher level and as someone else has said the older that wingers get they should develop consistency.

The part about forest is spot on. They are beside themselves about him. They also seem to understand - unlike most on here- that wingers drift in and out of games. Barrie is, and never will be, a box to box kind of player, and plays to his strengths. Said it before, amazes me how fans of other clubs  can clearly sum up a player and see his abilities, where as we are happy to simply criticise every little mistake and immediately label someone as being shit. And some wonder why he wanted to leave, personally I don't blame him. Why would you want to stay somewhere you weren't appreciated. And this doesn't just go for BM. You can have 9 great games , followed by 2 not so good games and the knives are being sharpened. Holt is a good example, the guy is getting plaudits just now, but one poor game and he will be labelled shit again. It happens to our players time and time again.

1 minute ago, Chineseboy said:

The part about forest is spot on. They are beside themselves about him. They also seem to understand - unlike most on here- that wingers drift in and out of games. Barrie is, and never will be, a box to box kind of player, and plays to his strengths. Said it before, amazes me how fans of other clubs  can clearly sum up a player and see his abilities, where as we are happy to simply criticise every little mistake and immediately label someone as being shit. And some wonder why he wanted to leave, personally I don't blame him. Why would you want to stay somewhere you weren't appreciated. And this doesn't just go for BM. You can have 9 great games , followed by 2 not so good games and the knives are being sharpened. Holt is a good example, the guy is getting plaudits just now, but one poor game and he will be labelled shit again. It happens to our players time and time again.

Bang on our fans are some of the most fickle in the world.

Danny Wilson is another example a couple of decent games in a row and he is a good CB that should keep Bruno Alves out the team yet 3 or 4 weeks ago he was utter shite.

Our fans can’t seem to see past 1 or 2 games at a time.

5 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

He's been a sub in 95% of the games he's played for them , which means he's as consistently shite for them as he was for us. Guy was never happy pulling on our shirt , wonder why.........

Shite , he's started most game and has most assists in the league and also more than a few good goals. 

7 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Bang on our fans are some of the most fickle in the world.

Danny Wilson is another example a couple of decent games in a row and he is a good CB that should keep Bruno Alves out the team yet 3 or 4 weeks ago he was utter shite.

Our fans can’t seem to see past 1 or 2 games at a time.

It's a massive problem tbh. We can slag the board etc off all we want, but we need to take a good look at how we act on social media. Any confidence players gain is quickly eradicated . We might have the most loyal support in the country, but the best we most certainly are not. Constructive criticism is good, but we rarely indulge ourselves in that. I don't include our away support in this , as they are fantastic.

5 hours ago, DBBTB said:

That’s what I remember too but his agent said that wasn’t the case and he made it be known four times that McKay was happy to stay but that’s probably BS too. You never know for sure with these stories. Everybody has their own version of events and they are usually positively skewed to suit the person telling them.

There will be 3 versions. McKays version, the clubs version, and the truth.

Pedro told us he was going in a different direction with regards to wingers , wanted more power and more direct , i give you DALCIO ? .Jury still out on Candeiase but for me he's a hard working wide midfielder but never a winger because he cant beat his man one on one. Bottom line is we've lost Barrie but went backwards with our wide men and Windass is a fish out of water out wide.

44 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

The 1 good game in 10 chat is a load of shite.

Correct, this chat seems to have took the catholic route and that being, tell a lie often enough and it becomes the truth.

Absolutely no statistics back up said claim.