Were we right to sell McKay?

BlueSuedeSambas

I'd take Windass over Mckay any day of.  the week

Wee guy had flashes of greatness but it was clear the shirt was too heavy for him. At forrest he won't be under as much pressure which for his age is likely a good thing. 

We are good fans but when a decision has made about a player then that's it. Even if they misplace a pass they get moaned like fuck at. That kinda negativity will get to a player especially when folk target them with abuse. 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Wee guy had flashes of greatness but it was clear the shirt was too heavy for him. At forrest he won't be under as much pressure which for his age is likely a good thing. 

We are good fans but when a decision has made about a player then that's it. Even if they misplace a pass they get moaned like fuck at. That kinda negativity will get to a player especially when folk target them with abuse. 

Windass are you on Drugs. That's taking the piss.

2 hours ago, ZZed said:

It depends where you set your standard but McKay was not Rangers standard and neither are they. We should always be striving to  get people in who are and constantly seeking/demanding that standard.

But that's what we have just now, Barrie was considerably better than the players signed albeit inconsistent like most Wingers he did have a lot of Ability would have made a very good midfielder sitting behind the strikers

Came in  to what was a poor disjointed team lacking spirit and quickly cemented himself in the side (think how many of our youngsters have failed at that stage)

I liked him a lot, stood out was willing to take the ball, was creative and had all the makings of a very good player, had great potential, so yes, we should have kept him, or at least got a better deal.

You only needed to look at his chances created last season to know that with better players around him, he'd be more productive for us. The amount of times he'd flash a ball across the box or pick out a striker from a cutback, only for them to miss their kick or skew the ball wide/over was ridiculous.

I don't think the perception about his tracking back is entirely accurate. I remember when he first broke into the side under Warburton he was pretty good at covering Wallace. I think, perhaps, Warburton instructed him to stay further up the park.

He wasn't the be all and end all, but we would be a stronger side with him IMO and it's frustrating to see him thriving elsewhere.

7 hours ago, RDFM said:

Yes.

People didn't like him because he wasn't cutting about tackling like Souness despite the fact he was a 5'9 twig of a winger. 

I wasn’t looking for him to do that, or even track back that regularly. 

When I called him a shite bag it’s because he’d go into hiding if he had a bad couple of touches, or if he got hit early doors. Couldn’t stand up to any mental or physical challenge, if it wasn’t going his way he was nowhere to be seen.

Had talent, but not the heart. And he wouldn’t sign a new deal. 

1 hour ago, McKissock said:

You only needed to look at his chances created last season to know that with better players around him, he'd be more productive for us. The amount of times he'd flash a ball across the box or pick out a striker from a cutback, only for them to miss their kick or skew the ball wide/over was ridiculous.

I don't think the perception about his tracking back is entirely accurate. I remember when he first broke into the side under Warburton he was pretty good at covering Wallace. I think, perhaps, Warburton instructed him to stay further up the park.

He wasn't the be all and end all, but we would be a stronger side with him IMO and it's frustrating to see him thriving elsewhere.

Barrie had 25 starts in the league last season with a total of 2374 minutes played and he finished the season with 3 assists.  I don't buy in to this idea he was putting chance after chance on a plate and the strikers kept kicking it over the bar.  Barrie, for long periods of time, did absolutely fuck all.  At the start of last season he went on a run of about 10 games in which he was a complete empty jersey and there was an outcry for him to be dropped from the starting eleven.  

Also, he didn't track back.  Maybe it was tactical decision so we had an out ball when we won it back but Barrie wasn't helping during the defensive phases at all.  The amount of people at Ibrox calling him a shitebag and a lazy bastard was ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Chineseboy said:

The thing is he did score goals. Furthermore, the only reason his assists were not that high is due to our strikers  being unable to finish . 

Barrie was a regular in the side and finished the league campaign with 5 goals and 3 assists.  That's nothing special, is it?  If he was as talented as some on here are suggestion he would be doing a heck of a lot more against SPFL full-backs.  celtic's wingers are contributing 20+ a season in terms of goals and assists.

Waghorn has 8 goals and 4 assists in the league and he played a lot less football than Barrie.  Jamie Walker scored more goals from left-wing than Barrie did.  

5 minutes ago, Siwel said:

Windass is a shit cunt, 1% of the ability McKay had and more of a shitebag

Windass and McKay aren't good enough.  The club tried to move both on in the summer.  It's not like we choose Windass over Barrie - We didn't want either of them.  

Capture.PNG

4 hours ago, RFCRobertson said:

Wow!

I fully agree with everyone's entitlement to free speech - but if it was a straight choice for a left winger between the two then give me McKay without hesitation. Am not interested in worthless clichés like "The shirt's too heavy for him" - that is mince. The McKay we had was not the finished article. He was a young kid in the first team from an early age (He was 17) and was still far from his peak. He is not the first player unable to agree a contract, and nor will he be the last. This does not make him a bad person.

Windass - despite a couple of goals in recent weeks - is the cause of more despair every week than any other player in that team. He is a shitbag at tackles (12 tackles in 10 games according to official club stats!). My heart sinks when I see the name of Windass on the team list. Week after week after week - he will guaranteed make a cunt of something again and again. Look what happens when Morelos makes a tackle - he gets straight back up and goes in again. Windass doesn't even go in in the first place.

10 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Windass and McKay aren't good enough.  The club tried to move both on in the summer.  It's not like we choose Windass over Barrie - We didn't want either of them.  

Capture.PNG

I’m not saying either are good enough I’ve already said we were right to move McKay on but Windass is a far worse player than Mckay

22 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Waghorn had 7 goals which included pens, you know those things you have spent months slating Walker about...:whistle:

He also played up top at times as well. 

I don't think Waghorn or Walker are good enough to play for Rangers.  I'm simply pointing out that even they offered more of an attacking threat than the "unplayable" McKay.

Also, Johnny Hayes was a winger for Aberdeen last season.  He played almost the exact same amount of league minutes as McKay but finished up with 13 assists and 9 goals.  I take it the only reason Hayes done so much better was because Aberdeen's strikers weren't kicking it over the bar all the time?  :lol:

As an attacking force McKay was useless.  If he truly was "unplayable" and set up chance after chance for our strikers why did our support show so much venom towards him?  If he was skinning every full-back in the league then I image our support would be cheering him on as tends to happen.

100% not. Mckay is a goood player with lots of potential and forrest got him for next to nothing. At his best hes easily a 7 figure player and we have suffered because a poor manager didn't know how to treat him when he was playing shite. 

42 minutes ago, sh323 said:

At his best hes easily a 7 figure player and we have suffered because a poor manager didn't know how to treat him when he was playing shite. 

Does McKay now play for a talented manager down South?