Were we right to sell McKay?

BlueSuedeSambas

2 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Barrie had 25 starts in the league last season with a total of 2374 minutes played and he finished the season with 3 assists.  I don't buy in to this idea he was putting chance after chance on a plate and the strikers kept kicking it over the bar.  Barrie, for long periods of time, did absolutely fuck all.  At the start of last season he went on a run of about 10 games in which he was a complete empty jersey and there was an outcry for him to be dropped from the starting eleven.  

Also, he didn't track back.  Maybe it was tactical decision so we had an out ball when we won it back but Barrie wasn't helping during the defensive phases at all.  The amount of people at Ibrox calling him a shitebag and a lazy bastard was ridiculous.

By April last year there were only four or five players in Britain who had more shot assists than him. He was creating chances. Our strikers failed to take them. I'm not really arguing that the guy was world class or unplayable etc etc etc, he was inconsistent at times, but he had enough about him that if we increased the quality around him, we'd see the benefits from him. Each to their own but I think it's undeniable we'd be a better team with him in the left wing position this season. He created chances and we have someone who's more adept at putting the ball in the net.

Initially he did, I'm not talking making bone crunching challenges etc but if Wallace was caught further up the park he'd linger further back and track a runner. I recall him even being lauded for it on here when he first broke in, then it changed - it could be attitude, it could be through the managers instructions, who knows. It's open to debate. The shitebag stuff is ridiculous tbh, only in that it's overly dramatic. People love to howl that patter from the stands.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, stevemartin1991 said:

McKay was a wee weirdo, his interviews were very unusual and all his team mates used to comment saying he done things they couldnt repeat on camera. I wonder what they were.

Kinda makes you weirder for wanting to know imo.

23 hours ago, sh323 said:

100% not. Mckay is a goood player with lots of potential and forrest got him for next to nothing. At his best hes easily a 7 figure player and we have suffered because a poor manager didn't know how to treat him when he was playing shite. 

Unfortunately two of those figures come after the decimal point.

29 minutes ago, Smile said:

I'd say the problem is fee we sold Garner and Waghorn and McKay on the cheap we need someone who understands Transfers and the buying and selling of players.

Hopeful, in our director of football, we now have someone who understands how to get the best out of the transfer system.

On 09/11/2017 at 21:34, sh323 said:

100% not. Mckay is a goood player with lots of potential and forrest got him for next to nothing. At his best hes easily a 7 figure player and we have suffered because a poor manager didn't know how to treat him when he was playing shite. 

Is that the same manager that he wouldn't sign a contract with whilst at Rangers, and who was dropping him towards the end of his own managerial reign?

The same manager whom he followed down south at a knockdown price, after he (Mackay) downed tools,.

Or are we somehow talking about another manager who really had no control over the situation of a disgruntled recalcitrant player, whose greedy head was already outside the Ibrox doors?

We should be told.

On 09/11/2017 at 22:18, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Does McKay now play for a talented manager down South?

Warburtons tactics work down there where you can play a bit of football. No big hatchet bastards, teams trying to play you instead of you trying to break 11 men down. Forest aren't doing too bad at all. 

On 09/11/2017 at 08:42, B1872 said:

He wouldn't sign a new contract even after we offered him the chance to be the highest paid player at the club. Rather we got money for him than lose him for fuck all tbh!

In a nut shell he was well tapped up by Warburton and decided to go to Forest who will be paying him a lot more than we offered. 

16 minutes ago, broomloanjamie said:

Warburtons tactics work down there where you can play a bit of football. No big hatchet bastards, teams trying to play you instead of you trying to break 11 men down. Forest aren't doing too bad at all. 

Teams weren't afraid of us last season and we're more than happy to have a go.  I don't think many teams parked the bus against us.  We were passing the ball side to side for 90mins with no real ability in attack or defence.

At his best he was untouchable but unfortunately his best was for about 10 mins every 5-6 games so yeah we were correct to sell him.  Never reached the performance level of the semi victory over celtic  and not got the heart to be a Rangers player.   Will carve a good career from the mediocre championship or league oneclubs