The future of Hampden

Thermopylae

I can't help feeling the tims are lining up to pull the rug from under it no doubt thinking that their extra 10k seats will see breezeblock boulevard become the de facto national stadium. The truth is never trust a tim when it comes to using their position to advance their favourites position a  I remember McNee saying about 20 years ago, when we had the clear successor to Hampden and the chance to coin it in, that Glasgow needed a "neutral acre" but I bet these days he will miraculously see the point in taking it around the country (and to the east end of Glasgow more than most)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all posture from the SFA, they will never leave Hampden - all the SPFL and SFA offices are firmly rooted there. They are simply doing the rounds to get a better lease, and get the stadium renovated. They will not give money to the SRU, and will want to keep money in the game. Absolutely, smaller international games and cup semis can be spread around the country but they will never leave the home of the Scottish game. Also, is Murrayfield really a big improvement?? Pitch is still a long way from the stands and the transport link argument is a poor one - anyone who has been on a bus to murrayfield for rugby matches will tell you of blocked roads and parking huge distances from the ground. Hampden is better served with rail access, with a selection of rail stations close to both ends. Major bus routes also run close. Murrayfield only has Haymarket, so segregation for OF fans from Glasgow will happen from the train station - a police nightmare.

47 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

They missed a trick with Hampden a few years ago, they should have flattened the whole place and built a new stadium a bit further in from Somerville Drive. It would have cost what, £100 million for a 65 to 75 thousand seater?

Nail on head! You only have to look at the millennium stadium in Cardiff to see what could’ve been. They had the balls to pull down a stadium that was only about 15years old and hemmed in on all sides, to create what I think’s by far the best stadium in Britain. 

32 minutes ago, Ryju84 said:

As others have said before, I think, can't they lower the pitch, remove the track, and add more pitchside seats in? 

The view from some areas of Hampden is poor.

You can’t make a silk purse out of a pigs ear or arse in this case. Ibrox is still what is today, because it was built without compromise. Wait to see what the piggery will be like when it’s 40 years old. 

17 minutes ago, Craigyboy9 said:

You can’t make a silk purse out of a pigs ear or arse in this case. Ibrox is still what is today, because it was built without compromise. Wait to see what the piggery will be like when it’s 40 years old. 

The Piggery is like a meccano set from years ago, built with cheap thin steel and hopefully will fall apart with rust .

Re. Hampdump we hated getting tickets for the west stand as it's too far away to view the opposite goals.

Hampden is quite roomy, but it isn't a particularly great stadium for atmosphere, nor (in places) for view.  Behind the goals, you genuinely do struggle to see the action at the far end of the park, as you are so far away - you must be the best part of 200m away from the opposite goal mouth in the rear rows - it's watching stick men. That said, the qualities that make it a bit rubbish as a sports stadium, ironically make it pretty good as an outdoor concert venue.

For the cost of the refurbishment, as so often the story with sport in this country - Hampden was a wasted opportunity.

Murrayfield is a much better choice, it would also be fantastic to have Old Firm games there in the cups as 67,000 tickets would be available (minus segregation) rather than 50,000. Makes more money for the SFA and is a better showpiece for Scottish football. 

Hampden's a nightmare to get to and is a crap stadium for spectators and atmosphere. The atmosphere at Scottish Rugby games is miles better than a Scottish football game

Hampden is a disgrace of a national stadium and the sooner games are being played elsewhere the better.

Not sure how realistic Murrayfield is but if it's not an option they would be better splitting finals between us and the filth and taking Scotland games round the country like England did in between the old and new Wembley. 

16 hours ago, Thermopylae said:

I can't help feeling the tims are lining up to pull the rug from under it no doubt thinking that their extra 10k seats will see breezeblock boulevard become the de facto national stadium. The truth is never trust a tim when it comes to using their position to advance their favourites position a  I remember McNee saying about 20 years ago, when we had the clear successor to Hampden and the chance to coin it in, that Glasgow needed a "neutral acre" but I bet these days he will miraculously see the point in taking it around the country (and to the east end of Glasgow more than most)

Been a while since I heard that poisonous cunts name.
Actually thought he had shuffled off this mortal coil.
The only thing I remember billymuckneil doing was lamping that tub of lard.
Missed Davie Robertson's goal against the tramps by 6 fuckin minutes.
Just one poisonous tarrier with a typewriter.

1 hour ago, Brackley said:

Today in the record Jim Craig passes comment about the state of Ibrox after attending a game months ago. Chip chip chip. 

Operation make Parkhead the national stadium is in full swing.

There's wee snippets all over the media just now about leaving hampden .the take the games around the country argument is the current buzz phrase .

Easter road .pittodrie for the smaller fixtures .then split between ibrox and the knew camp for bigger games .but we all know what would happen.all the big games would be at the piggery as the more seats argument would be used .but funnily enough wouldn't be used to use tynecastle over Easter road .

Corruption in full swing 

7 minutes ago, Gustav said:

Even if iMurrayfield is a much, much better venue for football matches?

Even if.

Wouldn't want to pish money away to rugby, wouldn't want to pish money away to Edinburgh, wouldn't want the cultural loss for Glasgow, wouldn't want the loss of footballing tradition.

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Even if.

Wouldn't want to pish money away to rugby, wouldn't want to pish money away to Edinburgh, wouldn't want the cultural loss for Glasgow, wouldn't want the loss of footballing tradition.

A new stadium somewhere between Glasgow and Edinburgh?

1 minute ago, FSM said:

A new stadium somewhere between Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Glasgow's the home of football. So is Hampden for me. It's shit behind the goal, but I'd keep putting up with it the way I've been putting up with it for 30 years to retain that. And at some point redevelop behind the goals in some way. 

If we could afford a new stadium I'd definitely be for staying and rebuilding. I'd resist it like I'd resist it with moving Ibrox. The whole some things being more important than money thing. At least with any Ibrox move (God forbid) I'd be fairly confident it'd stay in Glasgow.

Just now, Inigo said:

Even if.

Meh

Murrayfield was a fantastic venue for football

5 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Glasgow's the home of football. So is Hampden for me. It's shit behind the goal, but I'd keep putting up with it the way I've been putting up with it for 30 years to retain that. And at some point redevelop behind the goals in some way. 

If we could afford a new stadium I'd definitely be for staying and rebuilding. I'd resist it like I'd resist it with moving Ibrox. The whole some things being more important than money thing. At least with any Ibrox move (God forbid) I'd be fairly confident it'd stay in Glasgow.

Clearly you're biased, but looking at it practically then I genuinely think that taking the national stadium out of the city and into 'the country' would solve a lot of problems with transport, segregation etc. Most of our stadiums were built when virtually no one had a car, and we wouldn't choose to build Hampden (or even Ibrox) in their current positions if they didn't already exist.