when was your first trip to Ibrox?

stevemac

1969 League cup section game v Airdrie , Remember fuck all apart from the sheer size of the stadium and how far away the goals were from the Copland Road terrace . The return of Slim Jim was why I was taken to that game . Sporadic visits over the next few years that all seem to blur into one , before I started to go regularly with some mates when I got to secondary school . Luckily enough that was Big Jocks second treble season .

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate this question.... first one I remember was my brothers first game. 3rd round of the Scottish cup v Hamilton 1987, Fucking unmitigated disaster. Remember the cheers and applause for Chris Woods British shut out record then Big McPherson making a cunt of it and we go down 1-0. Can always remember my wee bro greeting.

1 hour ago, Craigyboy9 said:

Hate this question.... first one I remember was my brothers first game. 3rd round of the Scottish cup v Hamilton 198, Fucking unmitigated disaster. Remember the cheers and applause for Chris Woods British shut out record then Big McPherson making a cunt of it and we go down 1-0. Can always remember my wee bro greeting.

McPherson was an absolute donkey .. for all Smith was a great manager, he had a soft spot for donkeys like McPherson, Maxwell, Neil Murray, Kirk Broadfoot etc. Suppose you could say he was justified as they were all part of successful sides. 

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

McPherson was an absolute donkey .. for all Smith was a great manager, he had a soft spot for donkeys like McPherson, Maxwell, Neil Murray, Kirk Broadfoot etc. Suppose you could say he was justified as they were all part of successful sides. 

Souness was the gaffer then, but you’re right mate and for me that’s one of the things that Walts did well, he got the most out of some very very average guys. Could be due to the quality that they had around them though. 

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Mcpherson may have been a donkey . He has more medals in his cupboard . Than every useless player we have in our team nowadays put together :-)))

I was never a fan but looking back . The big guy gave his all and when he was good . He was very  good .

4-4 game , 3-2 LCF . 1-1 Pittodrie championship win . The list goes on with the big man

I can never remember the big man fucking up against the scum and that is something , you always remember

1 minute ago, eejay the dj said:

Mcpherson may have been a donkey . He has more medals in his cupboard . Than every useless player we have in our team nowadays put together :-)))

I was never a fan but looking back . The big guy gave his all and when he was good . He was very  good .

4-4 game , 3-2 LCF . 1-1 Pittodrie championship win . The list goes on with the big man

I can never remember the big man fucking up against the scum and that is something , you always remember

Hmm I hear what you're saying but plenty bad players have medals too.

He did a job, they all played a part - I just wasn't a fan.

I sometimes watch old clips from the 90's on YouTube and the amount of goals even people like Petric, Bjorklund, Brown would cost us at the back from shite defending and thinking to myself if the internet, forums and social media was about 20-years or so ago they'd have been absolutely hounded.

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Hmm I hear what you're saying but plenty bad players have medals too.

He did a job, they all played a part - I just wasn't a fan.

I sometimes watch old clips from the 90's on YouTube and the amount of goals even people like Petric, Bjorklund, Brown would cost us at the back from shite defending and thinking to myself if the internet, forums and social media was about 20-years or so ago they'd have been absolutely hounded.

I'm the same mate . It's always easier to criticise at that present time .

The Net and media nowadays  has every player being scrutinised more closely .

The passing of time and last six years have made me realise though . I would take Brown , Petric and big Dave back in a heartbeat before many of the utter shite that have played in our defence these last six years

Mid 90's, i thought it was a european qualifier against some unheard of outfit but struggling to find it. I seem to remember us scoring 8 but cant find it which makes me think it might have been a friendly rather than a qualifier. Tried a couple of sites but they don't seem to record friendly scores. 

Disgracefully my first Ibrox match wasn't until August 2011 when Davis & Naismith scored to beat Aberdeen 2-0 under new manager Ally McCoist...

Living in London it is hard to go up to Ibrox regularly but the last year or so I've really caught the bug and come up quite regularly now.

My first Gers game was May 03 when Amoruso scored the winner in the Cup final v Dundee.

The best match I have certainly ever seen was the 2-2 pens win vs them last April.

I am quite fortunate as my grandad is a long standing Gers STH and has debentures at Hampden so I've seen a few cup semi finals and finals. The emotion doesnt get more contrasting than the celtic semi and the Hivs final.

Have already seen 4 Ibrox games in 2017 and really try to train up whenever I can now to get to the games.

10 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

Mid 90's, i thought it was a european qualifier against some unheard of outfit but struggling to find it. I seem to remember us scoring 8 but cant find it which makes me think it might have been a friendly rather than a qualifier. Tried a couple of sites but they don't seem to record friendly scores. 

Kuuysi Lahti seems to ring a bell, Maltese outfit.

2 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

He was no donkey. Looked and moved like a giraffe crossed with a hippo but he was a right capable centre half and managed remarkably well at right back when called upon. 

He wasn't a Butcher or a Gough, but he was good. 'Donkey' is well unfair.

God this makes me feel old when people are saying first game was in 1999 or 2001 etc. I made my Ibrox debut at the age of 6 in 1984 and had my first season book in 97/98, had it for 2 seasons but since then have not been able to afford to get up to Ibrox, which makes no sense as I was a student when I got my first book!

15 hours ago, Inigo said:

First one I remember was 16/08/1986.

Rangers 2-3 Dundee United. After being 2 up as well. Surprised the old man took me back. I was right behind the goal at the Broomy. Remember vividly Redford celebrating in the net.

McCoist x 2, Gallacher x 2 and Redford scored their winner.

Back in the days that the wee clubs had good, good teams as well. I'm sure this was United's UEFA Cup final year when they beat Barca in the quarters and Monchengladbach in the semis.

Narey, Gallacher, Sturroch, Ferguson, Malpas, Hegarty, McInally etc.

Ffs... looking at their European campaigns for the previous seasons to that final...

UEFA QF

UEFA QF

European Cup Semi

UEFA 3rd rd

UEFA 3rd rd

UEFA Final.

Changed days.

EDIT:

Remember that one . We played really well that first half and no one could forsee what happened in the 2nd. 

The football we played that season was amongst the best I've seen as a Rangers fan . 

6 hours ago, K.A.I said:

:lol:   Fuck , remember Neil Murray ! Smith seemed to wheel him out for Cup finals and European games for some reason . 

Some managers just seemed to have their ' favourites '  - . Big Eck had Namouchi . 

5 hours ago, Inigo said:

He was no donkey. Looked and moved like a giraffe crossed with a hippo but he was a right capable centre half and managed remarkably well at right back when called upon. 

He wasn't a Butcher or a Gough, but he was good. 'Donkey' is well unfair.

Also one the few Rangers players to have scored a European hat trick, 4 goals against Valletta if I remember correctly 

November 1961 . We got beat 5-1 by Dundee and we played in blue and white stripes. I remember it being very foggy . Ralph Brand scoring Rangers goal with a header and Alan Gilzean I think scored 4 for Dundee. The Dundee team I think won the league and following season got to the semi final of European Cup . Kept asking my big brother if it wasn’t Rangers in the Dark Blue as I could not understand Rangers losing 5 goals.