when was your first trip to Ibrox?

stevemac

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, onefootwillie said:

November 1961 . We got beat 5-1 by Dundee and we played in blue and white stripes. I remember it being very foggy . Ralph Brand scoring Rangers goal with a header and Alan Gilzean I think scored 4 for Dundee. The Dundee team I think won the league and following season got to the semi final of European Cup . Kept asking my big brother if it wasn’t Rangers in the Dark Blue as I could not understand Rangers losing 5 goals. 

That footage is on the net somewhere . Gilzean scoring for fun that day

First game I can remember being at was Jorg Albertz last game, when I was 7. I honestly don't remember much about it, other than asking my Dad far too many questions during the game.

I was lucky enough to go to almost every home game from quite a young age after that, so have plenty of young memories of Ibrox.

18 hours ago, bluenose244 said:

Surprised you came back, was at that game myself we got tore to shreds that day.

Remember the Liverpool fans had a banner with 'thank you Rangers for your attempts to destroy Manchester' or words to that effect.  :lol:

Haha! We did play terrible. But still was a great memory. Later became a season ticket holder which after that performance was doubly stupid ?

Was about 9 so would have been season 84/85 or 85/86 and the thing l remember most is seeing Ibrox in the flesh for the first time:bow: still get that tingle to this day. Remember getting a lift over the turnstiles with my mates but can l fuck remember the score or who we where playing:headscratch: but l do remember going to theirs grans for some grub in Govan before we went to Ibrox then the bus back home to castlmilk, different days indeed:lol:

5 hours ago, onefootwillie said:

November 1961 . We got beat 5-1 by Dundee and we played in blue and white stripes. I remember it being very foggy . Ralph Brand scoring Rangers goal with a header and Alan Gilzean I think scored 4 for Dundee. The Dundee team I think won the league and following season got to the semi final of European Cup . Kept asking my big brother if it wasn’t Rangers in the Dark Blue as I could not understand Rangers losing 5 goals. 

Had to look this up couldn't believe what I was reading, Dundee must have had some team then. 

10 hours ago, bluenose244 said:

Had to look this up couldn't believe what I was reading, Dundee must have had some team then. 

Their best ever team . They had some results in Europe the next season . I as a small boy could not believe the result . I think there must have been 60-80,000 at that game 

9 hours ago, andy500 said:

First game I can remember being at was Jorg Albertz last game, when I was 7. I honestly don't remember much about it, other than asking my Dad far too many questions during the game.

I was lucky enough to go to almost every home game from quite a young age after that, so have plenty of young memories of Ibrox.

That was against Hibs in May 2001, Albertz and Tugay both played their last game. I remember it so well because my dad had just died and I spent most of the game looking at our old season ticket seats in the main stand.

Hate to sound old but my first game was against Third Lanark in the early 1950's.  Don't remember too much about that one.  First strong recollection was the 1957 League Cup Final when we were cuffed 7-1.  My dad and I stayed until the bitter end and cheered the players off  and still recall him remarking how bad work would be on Monday.  Too many beers through the years have affected my memory but I was there for a good few big games and victories.  Remember so many games from later on when I was living overseas and would return, largely with Rangers fixtures as a prime concern (don't tell my wife!!)  Saw three games at Ibrox in quick succession when we lost three games around 1994 - AEK, celtic and Falkirk.  Still remember one glory hunter throwing away his scarf.