Premier League: A minimum 190 games to be televised live from 2019-2020

A minimum of 190 Premier League games will be televised live in Britain from the start of the 2019-20 season.

Premier League chairmen voted unanimously for the package, with the rights set to go out to auction before Christmas.

A new package of Saturday night games is likely to be offered to broadcasters, along with more midweek and Bank Holiday matches.

There will be a minimum of 22 additional live games on offer.

The new contracts will replace the record £5.136bn deal struck with Sky and BT Sport in 2015.

That three-season agreement represented a 70% increase on the previous £3bn deal, and involved 168 games being shown each season at an average cost to the broadcasters of £10.2m per match.

Sky paid £4.176bn to show 126 matches, including the first Friday evening games and both Sunday packages, and BT paid £960m for 42 games.

Fans' group the Football Supporters' Federation said it was "firmly opposed" to any increase beyond 190 live games.

A statement read: "Any additional broadcast games would mean even more changes to kick-off times away from 3pm on Saturdays, with an impact of both uncertainty and inconvenience to the match-going fans, especially away fans, whose passion is a huge component of the 'product' that broadcasters want to buy and sell.

"Particularly in the event of a new Saturday evening TV slot being created, we urge clubs and broadcasters to give due consideration to issues of geography and travel, and to invest some of the huge broadcast revenues into supporting the attendance and contribution of match-going fans, especially away fans."

Analysis: Strictly v Saturday night football?

The next Premier League deal will likely herald an even greater battle for the remote control in households across the country.

That's because of the looming Saturday night prime-time clash between live top-flight football and big shows such as Strictly Come Dancing and X Factor.

But where will fans watch? Sky and BT will without doubt be in the mix once again for the bundles of games on offer.

The other X Factor in this tender process could be the big US tech companies such as Amazon and Apple. They are increasingly showing an appetite for live sports rights, as demonstrated by Amazon's recent deal for US Open tennis.

The industry speculation is that this tender process may have come too soon for the internet giants to make any major splash. It could, however, provide a taste for what lies ahead for both the Premier League and supporters.7

Fuck that.

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

It’s disgusting man. 

Theres talk of 11am kick offs on Sundays to squeeze this in. 

As if that isn’t bad enough you know they cunts will schedule Newcastle to play Southampton at times like that. 

Saturday at quarter to eight as well :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Inigo said:

180 of them will be a yawn fest as well. The EPL is boring.

And they still call it Super Sunday, when probably about 3 on paper should be labelled super.

I'm sure the first one to get called Super Sunday was about 10 year ago, and it was Arsenal Chelsea and Man U Liverpool or something, all downhill from there.

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

And they still call it Super Sunday, when probably about 3 on paper should be labelled super.

I'm sure the first one to get called Super Sunday was about 10 year ago, and it was Arsenal Chelsea and Man U Liverpool or something, all downhill from there.

That's what make me laugh when they talk about putting an extra match on in America, aye Man Utd v Spurs and Chelsea v Liverpool all good and well but WBA v Stoke or West Ham v Brighton who wants to watch or pay for that

its mostly shite as well 

Fans' group the Football Supporters' Federation said it was "firmly opposed" to any increase beyond 190 live games. A statement read: "Any additional broadcast games would mean even more changes to kick-off times away from 3pm on Saturdays, with an impact of both uncertainty and inconvenience to the match-going fans, especially away fans, whose passion is a huge component of the 'product' that broadcasters want to buy and sell.

with the money on offer they are going to run out of games to show live eventually - then watch the 3pm embargo disappear as the clubs chase the money. 

I like football!

The more football on TV, the better for me.

I wonder if they ' have to' share the games between different TV companies, as we'll be out of the EU by then?

Will they just give each package to the highest bidder? Or will they continue to give BT/ESPN a package of games?

If youre not watching Man city, Liverpool, Arsenal or Spurs then the football can often be piss poor, even when those four are involved you can get a boring game. What they have done is package their product in such a way that their new important markets in the far east have been conned into believing that what they are watching is the best. Its all about packaging and presentation unfortunately. 

21 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

Some horrendous figures in there. 

Saturday nights man. Fuck that. 

Rapidly losing interest in that league. I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a live EPL game that was actually exciting. 

Been years since I have. Probably as far back as Henry at arsenal 

21 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Been years since I have. Probably as far back as Henry at arsenal 

11/12 season for me I think when Man City won the league in the last minute against QPR. There was a few brilliant games that season. Been pretty much shite since then though.