Millions Wasted

five stars

Are we going to continue to waste millions on players?

Many fans have been critical of the board for not spending money, but the truth is we have spent money, just that our player recruitment has been shocking.

Looking back to our first season back in the top league. How much did we waste on the likes of Barton, Senderos and Kranjcar. A couple of million on wages?

And into this season Pena and Herrera, maybe 3 million plus on fees and wages.

That's 5 million for starters and I'm sure you can think of a few more who have been a waste of a money.

If that 5 million plus had been spent wisely we'd have a team capable of challenging for the league and winning a cup or two.

Whats the way forward, so we don't continue to make the same mistakes?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our business has been shite mainly because we’ve been buying players that our managers have known or scouted from previous jobs and we’ve had no scouting team at all. Hopefully that changes with Mark Allen’s recruitment team now in place.

Aye that's the worst thing about our situation. Not only are we shite but we've wasted an absolute fortune doing it.

If we'd been really well run we'd probably be at a point where we had a team comfortably second, and thinking about how to push for first.

As it is we're way off the pace, and have got ourselves into significant debt to even just achieve that. 

If we carry on the way we have been then this is as good as it'll be, and in actual fact we'll start going backwards in a year or twos time. Deeply worrying. 

Pena and Herrera are a disgrace. Niko and Rossiter are perma injured and to be honest pretty average at best when fit. Miller, Hodson Windass Alves Tav, we ain't winning anything with these average at best players. I don't know what the answer is but I'm pretty certain it's not McInnes. 

2 minutes ago, berkshirebear said:

I hate the way we have wasted millions over the years. Buying/paying over the hill/clearly shite, rubbish like Beattie, Barton, Pena drives me nuts. Id rather we played youths and struggled for a few years, than waste money like we have! 

The culture of the club is rotten. We need a complete overhaul. I don't know if there's anyone out there with the money and energy for it though. At this stage we look fucked. 

WE haven’t wasted our money. The fucking board have wasted our money. From shite managerial choices to fucking woeful transfer sanctions. Get King and co to fuck imo. There must be someone who would take a gamble on us, surely to fuck. 

1 minute ago, jamess said:

McLeish with no great enthusiasm

I share the no great enthusiasm, but maybe a few years ago that would have been an option. I'm not sure it works to have been out of the game for a considerable length of time, I don't know why that is, but somehow it never seems to work when someone comes back after a period out of it.

Every team signs poor players especially when signing several at a time. Warburton signings were poor and had to be shipped, which Pedro did and we got money in return. He then unfortunately spent that money on a different kind of dross. We need a manager who can identify potential good players and also galvanise a confident hard to beat attacking side. We do have some good players in the right set up. We just need a bloody good manager.

7 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Who would that be, in your opinion?

I said on here about 4yr ago when Eddie Howe left Burnley and went back to Bournemouth that he was the type of manager we required at the time we were down the leagues, would we of got him.....who knows but he went back to Bournemouth as a young manager with a lot to prove....it seems that a steady pair of hands is required now...we certainly missed a chance with Howe in my opinion 

6 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I share the no great enthusiasm, but maybe a few years ago that would have been an option. I'm not sure it works to have been out of the game for a considerable length of time, I don't know why that is, but somehow it never seems to work when someone comes back after a period out of it.

He was managing last year to be fair 

Just now, hammer93 said:

I said on here about 4yr ago when Eddie Howe left Burnley and went back to Bournemouth that he was the type of manager we required at the time we were down the leagues, would we of got him.....who knows but he went back to Bournemouth as a young manager with a lot to prove....it seems that a steady pair of hands is required now...we certainly missed a chance with Howe in my opinion 

In retrospect I think Ally and the club did itself no favours by having him manage in the lower leagues. This is only in hindsight, but this wasn't just about Rangers, this was how to manage a club in the lower leagues, and do it their way, only with better quality- these lower league teams know how to play young players, how to use veterans. Ally was the wrong man for the task. I'm not going to be harsh on anyone for that, because it was a new experience for us, but I just wish we had had someone there, and it should have been Walter possibly, to see that particular problem and act on it. We missed a very big chance right there, and an Eddie Howe type coach may have been the answer.

8 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I'm struggling to think of anyone that is not a gamble,  or use to buying success with money we don't have