This period is as low as I’ve ever felt as a Rangers fan

graeme_4

3 minutes ago, FSM said:

I'm just saying. Point being, most people on here have probably spent their whole lives seeing us finish either first or second every season, winning cups every season. 

I appreciate that, but Aberdeen had won the CWC not long before, Dundee Utd ended up in a Uefa Cup final, and Hearts were strong. I think we had people at the helm back then who were big players off the field, and Jock Wallace was instilling something into that side. I never appreciated his time till I looked at it a bit more closely, had we had that set up today we'd have a lot more than we have now. This club off the park is a very pale shadow of what it was that time.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually been an awful time ever since we beat celtic in the Scottish Cup Semi Final.

The level of optimism was absolutely massive on that day, and since, we have spiralled down to an average mid-table outfit.

Poor decisions from management and above have left us in a horrible place where every win gives us optimism only for it to crash down to earth on a day like today, with the lows feeling almost as low as can be.

11 minutes ago, FSM said:

Finished 4th and 5th in his last 2 seasons in charge. If we finished 4th or 5th these days there would be riots.

Yeah . Season over by Christmas , Crowds piss poor , only saving grace was the occasional (league) cup run and the fact that the sheep and Dundee tarriers were winning stuff and the taigs weren't dominating . On our day we could match the best but too many times proceeded to then drop points to the clydebanks , st mirrens etc . Unlike @Turnberry18 I don't think Big Jock was getting any nearer to getting us back challenging . The arrival of Souness and the splashing of serious money signalled a change in attitude from the Boardroom down and sent out the message that Rangers wouldn't settle for second ( or 3rd,or 4th ) place anymore . 

We were driven into the ground with the Green years and that muppet McCoist.  Then the new board decided to gamble on quick success with untried managers, so we are back where we started - a club that expects success,  but without the manager or players to deliver it.

31 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

As per the title. I’ve never felt this low. 

We’re average or worse from boardroom all the way to the pitch. 

We’ve had bad results in past, but we’ve never been consistently this poor, directionless and void of leadership. There’s nothing to look forward to. It’s gutting to have fallen this low. 

The only thing even remotely ‘Rangers’ now are the fans. 

One of the problems many of use struggle with is the sense of entitlement - we are Rangers - we all though that it would be a smooth transition back to the top. What I have realised it is a fight, something to be earned the hard way, that building a squad to compete takes stability and time. We are slowly getting there - it’s slightly unpalatable that it’s slower than we want but wash season we have been getting better - and I include this seaason in that. But we need stability ( and some cash but stability and patience) bear withit! We will get there 

4 minutes ago, Marky. said:

It's actually been an awful time ever since we beat celtic in the Scottish Cup Semi Final.

The level of optimism was absolutely massive on that day, and since, we have spiralled down to an average mid-table outfit.

Poor decisions from management and above have left us in a horrible place where every win gives us optimism only for it to crash down to earth on a day like today, with the lows feeling almost as low as can be.

One guy changed it Brenda that was the benchmark. Many fans wont admit it but hes been the game changer and its ip to us to match it

There have been worse times but what did we expect after punting another manager. There was one night against Alloa I can't remember if mcdowall was manager, which sticks out as a low point. Midweek, freezing and a small crowd struggling against Alloa. 

On the plus side parking was the easiest I've ever seen, parked not far from the subway on woodville street :( 

7 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Yeah . Season over by Christmas , Crowds piss poor , only saving grace was the occasional (league) cup run and the fact that the sheep and Dundee tarriers were winning stuff and the taigs weren't dominating . On our day we could match the best but too many times proceeded to then drop points to the clydebanks , st mirrens etc . Unlike @Turnberry18 I don't think Big Jock was getting any nearer to getting us back challenging . The arrival of Souness and the splashing of serious money signalled a change in attitude from the Boardroom down and sent out the message that Rangers wouldn't settle for second ( or 3rd,or 4th ) place anymore . 

You maybe a better judge of that than me, but I hope you appreciate where his starting point was when he took over, the second time. Where were the careers of Durrant, D. Ferguson, and Fleck going under him? Two of those players never became fulfilled at this club, a closer appreciation of Jock Wallace's ability in his first tenure gives every indication they would have become great players. After he left the first time D. Johnstone, Gordon Smith, and Cooper went downhill, Cooper's career revived when he came back; that is an indication that Ferguson and Fleck may have had great careers had he stayed.  The first couple of seasons in his first reign brought a SC success, but not in the league. The same pattern was evident in his second term, till he got sacked. 

2 minutes ago, jamess said:

We were driven into the ground with the Green years and that muppet McCoist.  Then the new board decided to gamble on quick success with untried managers, so we are back where we started - a club that expects success,  but without the manager or players to deliver it.

Pretty much it. Disastrous managerial appointments costing us money and progress.

3 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

One guy changed it Brenda that was the benchmark. Many fans wont admit it but hes been the game changer and its ip to us to match it

And we haven't and are further behind.

The budget for a manager had to be raised to larger levels than Pedro. We needed proven success, not a foreign project. We needed quality football players at this level, not take a chance on South American foreigners on the most part.

We spent horribly this summer on the most part, and even the ones I'm being kind to by not including them in that have done nothing to prove themselves.

4 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

One of the problems many of use struggle with is the sense of entitlement - we are Rangers - we all though that it would be a smooth transition back to the top. What I have realised it is a fight, something to be earned the hard way, that building a squad to compete takes stability and time. We are slowly getting there - it’s slightly unpalatable that it’s slower than we want but wash season we have been getting better - and I include this seaason in that. But we need stability ( and some cash but stability and patience) bear withit! We will get there 

In what sense are “we have been getting better”? We can’t even win three games on the bounce for fuck sake.

1 minute ago, Marky. said:

And we haven't and are further behind.

The budget for a manager had to be raised to larger levels than Pedro. We needed proven success, not a foreign project. We needed quality football players at this level, not take a chance on South American foreigners on the most part.

We spent horribly this summer on the most part, and even the ones I'm being kind to by not including them in that have done nothing to prove themselves.

for me one man is to blame Pedro. We could've signed moult walker and probably Naismith for the price of Herrera and pena

fuckin disgraceful

17 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

The huge glaring problem with an otherwise initially sensible post is we're not getting there, we're treading water, stagnating, we've just sacked our manager who spunked 8m on dross we need soft loans to keep the lights on for the next two seasons, we have fuck all to spend no real player assets, a board who has waited so long for a share issue it will be swallowed up repaying/converting loans,  a potless conman in charge and a board so inept they appointed pedro in the first place, you would need to be unhinged and separated from reality to think we are getting anywhere.

4 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

for me one man is to blame Pedro. We could've signed moult walker and probably Naismith for the price of Herrera and pena

fuckin disgraceful

Moult’s had a good game against us, but Walker has been shite this season and Naismith is a treacherous wee rat who should never set foot in Ibrox again. 

3 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

You maybe a better judge of that than me, but I hope you appreciate where his starting point was when he took over, the second time. Where were the careers of Durrant, D. Ferguson, and Fleck going under him? Two of those players never became fulfilled at this club, a closer appreciation of Jock Wallace's ability in his first tenure gives every indication they would have become great players. After he left the first time D. Johnstone, Gordon Smith, and Cooper went downhill, Cooper's career revived when he came back; that is an indication that Ferguson and Fleck may have had great careers had he stayed.  The first couple of seasons in his first reign brought a SC success, but not in the league. The same pattern was evident in his second term. 

Not disputing that Jock Wallace had an eye for talent , but I don't honestly believe that it was working out for him second time about . All ifs & mibbees IMO , regarding Derek Ferguson & DJ It's my opinion that it was their own attitude that let them down at times and in the case of DF cost him his chance of being a Rangers great . To a certain extent Cooper could also be said to have been guilty of the same and I think it was the arrival of Souness and the better class of signings that inspired him to play some of his best football since the early years of his Rangers career .

I'm sure we would both agree though that after 86 we both would have hoped that we would never be as far off the top again and that our kids & grandkids would have to go through what we did .

For me the biggest fear is the patience (or lack of it ) of the fans.  Since we were punted down the leagues we have been nothing short of remarkable - breaking attendance records as we made our way back to the top table, but, if the current climate within the Club continues for the foreseeable future we could see the fan base drift (and I say this as a season ticket holder in the seventies and early eighties where crowds of ten thousand and sometimes below this occurred. This time around I’m not sure that we could recover fully if this scenario pans out and we could be a mid table side getting by with the occasional cup win. I genuinely believe that this next managerial appointment will be THE most important in our history. If Robertson and his wanky mates don’t recognise this we could literally be fucked for a decade...

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Moult’s had a good game against us, but Walker has been shite this season and Naismith is a treacherous wee rat who should never set foot in Ibrox again. 

Like it or not mate he would've added some much needed quality. Pedro was offered him and said no apparently

12 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

fuckin disgraceful

Goes further back than that mate. Pedro was a complete and utter failure, who talked himself into the job. The ones who took his shit and ran with it are to blame and they sit higher than Pedro ever did.

The 'right' man is a hard one to find, but anyone would have looked at those players over the ones we got, but they were Pedro's pick, and Pedro was the pick of the board.