This period is as low as I’ve ever felt as a Rangers fan

graeme_4

1 minute ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Not disputing that Jock Wallace had an eye for talent , but I don't honestly believe that it was working out for him second time about . All ifs & mibbees IMO , regarding Derek Ferguson & DJ It's my opinion that it was their own attitude that let them down at times and in the case of DF cost him his chance of being a Rangers great . To a certain extent Cooper could also be said to have been guilty of the same and I think it was the arrival of Souness and the better class of signings that inspired him to play some of his best football since the early years of his Rangers career .

I'm sure we would both agree though that after 86 we both would have hoped that we would never be as far off the top again and that our kids & grandkids would have to go through what we did .

I can only read about it, and what happened to the club made me look at those times through old records etc. Jock Wallace not only had an eye for talent, he had an ability to make players play very well; he had something about him as a Rangers manager that looks to have gone ignored and unappreciated. I didn't really want to make it as discussion about him, but compared to then, the club now is miles away, even from those days when they club seemed to be down.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

.if we haven't already we'll lose a generation of fans.

I've said it numerous times and I'll fucking keep saying it, we need to sort our club top to bottom very quickly, we're in serious bother just now and no amount of WATP or FTP  or NO SURRENDER patter is going to fix it, board needs to be replaced and playing staff needs replaced, how we achieve this , fuck knows right now, depressing as fuck. 

2 minutes ago, Marky. said:

Goes further back than that mate. Pedro was a complete and utter failure, who talked himself into the job. The ones who took his shit and ran with it are to blame and they sit higher than Pedro ever did.

The 'right' man is a hard one to find, but anyone would have looked at those players over the ones we got, but they were Pedro's pick, and Pedro was the pick of the board.

Imo it's right at the feet of Pedro mate 5million spent means we should be challenging them Imo. He's left us with duds and its cost millions

2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I can only read about it, and what happened to the club made me look at those times through old records etc. Jock Wallace not only had an eye for talent, he had an ability to make players play very well; he had something about him as a Rangers manager that looks to have gone ignored and unappreciated. I didn't really want to make it as discussion about him, but compared to then, the club now is miles away, even from those days when they club seemed to be down.

As I said mate the only saving grace back then was that it wasn't the tarriers that were dominating back then .

Totally agree with you about Jock knowing what it was to manage our club and being massively underrated ( more so outwith the Rangers support )

9 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Imo it's right at the feet of Pedro mate 5million spent means we should be challenging them Imo. He's left us with duds and its cost millions

He was doing what he would easily do if appointed by another club tbh. He's to blame for getting it all wrong, yes, but the idiots above appointed him and thought it would work.

They got that appointment so wrong and we are paying for it as fans. I can't believe the amount of money we spend on season tickets tbh considering the shite we put up with. Even still our fans are more than happy to keep paying it. Truly great support for people who don't deserve us.

Just now, .Williamson. said:

Id say it's been a continuous low since administration with the odd fake high, like beating the taigs in the cup semi. 

Honestly thought that semi final was a turning point. How wrong was I.

You were very right. It was a turning point straight back down the way. 

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

Id say it's been a continuous low since administration with the odd high, like beating the taigs in the cup semi. 

Honestly thought that semi final was a turning point. How wrong was I.

Not going on from there and winning the SC was huge in hindsight. The prospect of European football etc would have been a good base to go into the top division. 

1 hour ago, FSM said:

I'd wager that the majority of people on this forum (myself included) have grown up in the 'golden era' at Rangers that started with Souness, so have never been through this before or known anything except for success. Older bears will tell you that it's been this bad before, if not worse.

My first season travelling over in the boat with my Dad was 71 72 season we lost 4 out of 5 opening games.Greig years were not heaven sent, but the thing is the players might not have been the greatest but in the main they bust a gut for Rangers these fuckers masquerading as Gers are empty shirts.

27 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Like it or not mate he would've added some much needed quality. Pedro was offered him and said no apparently

Good.

Maybe you would like someone who tried to kill this club stealing a wage again but not me.

Rangers died accrding to that cunt, we are not the same club, yet some want him here again taking the coin.

Have some self respect ffs 

The season before Souness came we won 3 away league games all season,  football has changed a lot since the early 80's but Greig was the worst period ever for me, even Jock Wallace struggled but if they had given him the money instead of Souness we would have been just as successful..

We have dropped silly points all season if we won today and beat Hearts and Hibs both at home ( as it's the home form that's the worst I have ever witnessed)  we would be 5 points ahead of the sheep shaggers looking to make it 8 by the time the left Ibrox and we headed for their midden.

Keep the faith we just need a board with some vision, they are running out of time big style now.

50 minutes ago, murzo said:

In what sense are “we have been getting better”? We can’t even win three games on the bounce for fuck sake.

It’s a better squad - we have more points - wa are playing better - the 3 games in a row thing is a false irrelevance 

1 minute ago, Bluepeter9 said:

It’s a better squad - we have more points - wa are playing better - the 3 games in a row thing is a false irrelevance 

We have a better squad to finish third , more points to finishthird and winning 3 games in a row is only an irrelevance if you want to finish third.

44 minutes ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

The huge glaring problem with an otherwise initially sensible post is we're not getting there, we're treading water, stagnating, we've just sacked our manager who spunked 8m on dross we need soft loans to keep the lights on for the next two seasons, we have fuck all to spend no real player assets, a board who has waited so long for a share issue it will be swallowed up repaying/converting loans,  a potless conman in charge and a board so inept they appointed pedro in the first place, you would need to be unhinged and separated from reality to think we are getting anywhere.

I disagree on all those points - the soft loans are in anticipation of an equity swap ( and frankly if you don’t understand that or the actual mechanism of that don’t comment further) some of the player we signed are better than last year and give us a foundation to build on - as I said this is a long haul project not a 3 week turnaround - and quite frankly unless we have the patience to understand that it won’t matter what new manager we get if we don’t see it as another 2-3 season project 

3 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I agree with the sentiment, but we are still plagued by the same problems - we've only made marginal gains for the money we've spent IMO. I think that will change with a better manager in charge, though, but it goes without saying that this simply needs to be the right appointment. 

1 hour ago, FSM said:

I'd wager that the majority of people on this forum (myself included) have grown up in the 'golden era' at Rangers that started with Souness, so have never been through this before or known anything except for success. Older bears will tell you that it's been this bad before, if not worse.

No it wasnt. We had a better team under Greig and when the taigs won 9 we were within points of them. Worst season was Supers attempts at getting us out of Division 1 or the Championship or whatever it was called

1 hour ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Exactly, we look no better than the rest and arguably worse than some, when we should be sitting comfortably in second place.

It’s a good job the likes of Sheep & Hivs keep slipping up as well!

1 hour ago, Turnberry18 said:

Not true though, I've looked at that period, especially in the past few years because of what happened at the club. The club at the time before Souness had on the field issues, which Jock Wallace was getting right over time, but off the park the club was very strong.

Even in the really bad days, when BJK was winning niar, when we won NOTHING in the 6 years preceding DJ's league cup final and they lifted the European cup we still had some great players and always gave a good account of ourselves.  What makes this worse is the light at the end of the tunnel appears to be an oncoming train. 

Just now, siddiqi_drinker said:

Even in the really bad days, when BJK was winning niar, when we won NOTHING in the 6 years preceding DJ's league cup final and they lifted the European cup we still had some great players and always gave a good account of ourselves.  What makes this worse is the light at the end of the tunnel appears to be an oncoming train. 

That's my point, the running of the club is not on a par with then. We are not able to compete, it would seem, and I'm not sure this club has ever quite been in that situation before.