This period is as low as I’ve ever felt as a Rangers fan

graeme_4

It is the worst by a long stretch purely because I really thought we had turned a corner with Mark Warburton and his vision, focusing on young hungry players who will take us back to the top; sensible spending and working on getting better deals for the club from the board.

I have never felt as high as I did as a Bear when we won our semi against the taigs as it was a fine sign we were on our way back. To have all that hope and promise ripped away is despressing. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Id say it's been a continuous low since administration with the odd high, like beating the taigs in the cup semi. 

Honestly thought that semi final was a turning point. How wrong was I.

Me to, instead they shit themselves and acted quickly  by bringing in as much as I hate to admit it a good manager 

Greig's team of 82/83 season would beat any team in the league now. Greig's team won nothing that year, Aberdeen, Dundee United and celtic all had good teams and we wondered what we needed to do to get the better team and make it perform. Some thought that Aberdeen and Dundee United were ready to take over from Rangers and that we would not recover. There was a genuine fear of Rangers not being competitive in any competition for years. Now we are poor but I do not have that same feeling, it may take a couple of years but we will get better. Or, maybe, just like then someone will come in from out of the blue and completely unexpected, and put serious money into us again. 

I hope King finds someone to sell us to soon as he does not give me any confidence about my club.

This is certainly a bad time for us- no manager and the team is useless, but we are back in the league were we belong.
I remember the John Greig years- Ibrox was empty, but I always got on the bus to see my Rangers every Sat and cheer them on.
We will get it right and we will win the league, maybe next year or the year after- but money has to be found to buy players and the right players, who will play their hearts out for this club.
We have the best supporters in the world and we deserve a lot better.
We are not going to win any thing this season- so why not give more youngsters a chance and see what they have got, we have nothing to lose.

4 hours ago, ZZed said:

Greig's team of 82/83 season would beat any team in the league now. Greig's team won nothing that year, Aberdeen, Dundee United and celtic all had good teams and we wondered what we needed to do to get the better team and make it perform. Some thought that Aberdeen and Dundee United were ready to take over from Rangers and that we would not recover. There was a genuine fear of Rangers not being competitive in any competition for years. Now we are poor but I do not have that same feeling, it may take a couple of years but we will get better. Or, maybe, just like then someone will come in from out of the blue and completely unexpected, and put serious money into us again. 

I hope King finds someone to sell us to soon as he does not give me any confidence about my club.

Probably my worst period as a fan .For years we were out the league by Christmas watching others battle it out . 

Then , along came a guy called David Holmes . . . . and it was like flicking a switch , such was the turnaround.  Its something we could do with now . . . someone looking for a challenge . 

On 11/18/2017 at 20:35, FSM said:

Finished 4th and 5th in his last 2 seasons in charge. If we finished 4th or 5th these days there would be riots.

From what I have seen this season Aberdeen, Hibs, and possibly Motherwell are better than us. At this rate we could and probably deserve to finish 5th.

On 18 November 2017 at 21:22, FSM said:

I'd wager that the majority of people on this forum (myself included) have grown up in the 'golden era' at Rangers that started with Souness, so have never been through this before or known anything except for success. Older bears will tell you that it's been this bad before, if not worse.

Absolutely. The early eighties were tough. Every team goes through barren spells, we are no different.

20 hours ago, SuperPapac05 said:

It is the worst by a long stretch purely because I really thought we had turned a corner with Mark Warburton and his vision, focusing on young hungry players who will take us back to the top; sensible spending and working on getting better deals for the club from the board.

I have never felt as high as I did as a Bear when we won our semi against the taigs as it was a fine sign we were on our way back. To have all that hope and promise ripped away is despressing. 

I think you touch on the time that things started to go t1ts-up and a tendency that has continued, desperately needs halted, then reversed.

Whatever the exact reasons behind it,.......  it has developed into an ominishambles and the board have to answer for it.

8 hours ago, ZZed said:

3 hours ago, gmcf said:

Probably my worst period as a fan .For years we were out the league by Christmas watching others battle it out . 

Then , along came a guy called David Holmes . . . . and it was like flicking a switch , such was the turnaround.  Its something we could do with now . . . someone looking for a challenge . 

Way back then you knew you were going home depressed. The stadium more empty than full some games you could probably have got all in one stand. Will it take the fans to revolt to get something done or will it be sit on our hands and say hee haw. I for one don't want to see that period again even though I was only in my pre puberty years it still a memory I don't want to re-run. 

4 minutes ago, BOOTNECK-BEAR said:

Way back then you knew you were going home depressed. The stadium more empty than full some games you could probably have got all in one stand. Will it take the fans to revolt to get something done or will it be sit on our hands and say hee haw. I for one don't want to see that period again even though I was only in my pre puberty years it still a memory I don't want to re-run. 

Crowds were relatively poor even when we were winning trophies under Jock Wallace in the 70's.

The vast increase in crowd numbers came with the Souness revolution, something that captured the imagination of the support and filled the stadium.

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

Crowds were relatively poor even when we were winning trophies under Jock Wallace in the 70's.

The vast increase in crowd numbers came with the Souness revolution, something that captured the imagination of the support and filled the stadium.

Souness/Murray brought the players fans returned, no longer pay at the gate season ticket sales go through the roof. Fast forward only season ticket sales still applicable, King and the Klingons either pony up or we may end up back in the late 70s early 80s again. 

I think the worst feeling for me is the feeling of being completely powerless to change anything. Everyone in Scottish Football can see we are a complete laughing stock from top to bottom and have been since we were sold down the river by Murray, Whyte and Green etc.The only recourse we had was to be defiant, back our team with the no surrender atitude that we always had, and always should have, and trust that the so called Rangers Men to deliver us what we want. But they have failed and continue to fail. We have had few highlights since 2012. Nothing to look forward to and absolutely nothing still to give us any confidence going forward from here.

I don't sign up to the "we're getting there" bullshit because we clearly aren't. Our club is rotten from the top to bottom. No leadership from self serving leeches at the top of the marble staircase or the heartless wasters of the jersey on the field or in the dressing room. I agree with those who advocate an entire clear out of the board, fan reps and players. The whole lot of them combine on a daily and weekly basis to slowly but surely crush our enthusiasm for the Rangers we all love.

It's despair.

26 minutes ago, BOOTNECK-BEAR said:

Souness/Murray brought the players fans returned, no longer pay at the gate season ticket sales go through the roof. Fast forward only season ticket sales still applicable, King and the Klingons either pony up or we may end up back in the late 70s early 80s again. 

Sir Duped didn't bring Souness in but yes he did arrive (late 1988) and find ways to bring quality players in.

The sooner the better that the board and the support realise that the  "pony-up" option (to the extent neccessary) won't happen under anyone,...the better.

We need to stabilise the club and better manage a longterm strategy that seeks value for every pound spent....that sees us steadily improve as a sustainable business. It'll take years and is a significant challenge.

We can't really look at the past and try to compare it to now.

Scottish football was coming into an era where we had some of the better footballers in Britain and could bring those types here. That simply won't be happening anymore as the gap is increasing every year between us and the richer clubs.

Scottish football is on it's arse and it won't be getting up again as things stand. No wealthy businessman will see us as a attractive option as we don't make enough profit. Then you have the ones who buy clubs for a hobby but again we won't be seeing CL football without a heavy investment and are playing catch-up to a club miles ahead in terms of finance.

Simply put we are in a dark place where Ranger's men aren't willing to pony up so what chance is there that some unknown will?

We all know the answer and where we are headed but the reality is too harsh for some of us to admit.

We all know the answer and where we are headed but the reality is too harsh for some of us to admit.

@The Godfather that is 100%. I know I go on about the late 70s early 80s the players then knew what it meant to be a Ranger, players nowadays are mercenaries out for the £ looking at the next move. I think some are with us as a CV power statement.  

On 18/11/2017 at 20:12, graeme_4 said:

As per the title. I’ve never felt this low. 

We’re average or worse from boardroom all the way to the pitch. 

We’ve had bad results in past, but we’ve never been consistently this poor, directionless and void of leadership. There’s nothing to look forward to. It’s gutting to have fallen this low. 

The only thing even remotely ‘Rangers’ now are the fans. 

Yes we have.  Before Souness in the early eighties we were perpetually crap and the fans disappeared in their thousands.  Coming up from the bottom tier was hardly a bed of roses.  We struggled against many smaller teams and were certainly not consistent. 

i am not sure it can get any lower than when we appointed Pedro Caixinha. 

For me that was a real fucking nadir, it genuinely laid it out plain as day where we are as a football club. a nomadic no-mark appointed as our manager, coming from the illustrious dizzying heights of 5th place in the Qatar league. really fucking horrendous. 

i think a good, proven manager of quality can at least getting competing in cups and having a run in the Europa League. Teams throughout Europe with resources fewer than ours are managing it, so i don't see why we can't. in terms of challenging the scum and getting into the CL again, we need serious investment which is where dave king and co fall down.

will we deteriorate further? not with a good managerial appointment IMO

8 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

From what I have seen this season Aberdeen, Hibs, and possibly Motherwell are better than us. At this rate we could and probably deserve to finish 5th.

Thing is, they're all having what they'd call brilliant seasons and we're having an absolute stinker - yet we're still all round about the same place, it wouldn't take much in terms of initiative to pull away from them. It's catching the taigs which concerns me.