Possession based football

plymouthranger

Our boards fascination with “possession based attacking football” is the white elephant in the room, and it’s one that won’t bring us any success in the near future.

Cast our eyes back to the summer of 2015.  We’d just failed to get promotion from the championship, having been slated for playing negative football for the previous couple of seasons. We brought in Mark Warburton, who had an obsession with playing football a certain way. It initially worked against part time footballers, and then we fell short due to a lack of funding and a refusal to adapt to our opposition...

We’ve never moved on since. Our board currently have no manager, and by the sounds of it are going to appoint someone who fits the mould of Caixinha and Warburton, rather than going for someone who grinds out results and will close the gap. I’ve always seen us as the team who won at all costs, whilst the taigs often overlooked that for “exciting football”. Sadly at present, those roles are reversed and they look unlikely to change anytime soon.

Stop fucking about, get McInnes in and we bridge the gap considerably. And I hope we see the back of 4-3-3 for some time 

18 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Our boards fascination with “possession based attacking football” is the white elephant in the room, and it’s one that won’t bring us any success in the near future.

Cast our eyes back to the summer of 2015.  We’d just failed to get promotion from the championship, having been slated for playing negative football for the previous couple of seasons. We brought in Mark Warburton, who had an obsession with playing football a certain way. It initially worked against part time footballers, and then we fell short due to a lack of funding and a refusal to adapt to our opposition...

We’ve never moved on since. Our board currently have no manager, and by the sounds of it are going to appoint someone who fits the mould of Caixinha and Warburton, rather than going for someone who grinds out results and will close the gap. I’ve always seen us as the team who won at all costs, whilst the taigs often overlooked that for “exciting football”. Sadly at present, those roles are reversed and they look unlikely to change anytime soon.

Stop fucking about, get McInnes in and we bridge the gap considerably. And I hope we see the back of 4-3-3 for some time 

Wish you had put "get McInnes in" at the start so i saved time not reading it.

Keeping possession of the ball, when done well, is how you dominate football matches!

Its not a coincidence that in most games the teams with more possession win. 

Some people have really short memories, but I can remember the fury and despair I felt at watching McCoists Rangers lump the ball up the pitch looking for knock downs. 

We keep the ball in the wrong areas and are too slow going forward. If the other team have 9/10 men behind the ball, simply strolling around and knocking the ball between the back four doesn’t do anything. It needs changes of tempo and direct passes, which can still be done whilst playing possession Football!

We need to stop obsessing about formations, style of play, tactics etc. The players simply aren’t good enough! A new manger is still going to have to work with these players!!!

Look at Denmark v ROI last week one team comfortable in possession with quality players who can keep the ball pass around and probe for openings with quality players to finish off. Very often at top level it's midfielders who score. 

ROI know they can't play like Denmark but get the ball wide and get the ball in the box early with physical players who can cause problems. 

ROI were 1 0 up and a bawhair from being 2 0 up. 

We all want to play like Denmark but need quality players. We would more than likely beat easy teams and look like champions. Not possible to beat top teams. 

Don't want to play like ROI long term we need a manager who can win matches until we can play like Denmark. 

59 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

Even after getting pumped 0-3 at home 

37 minutes ago, Dickie1963 said:

Look at Denmark v ROI last week one team comfortable in possession with quality players who can keep the ball pass around and probe for openings with quality players to finish off. Very often at top level it's midfielders who score. 

ROI know they can't play like Denmark but get the ball wide and get the ball in the box early with physical players who can cause problems. 

ROI were 1 0 up and a bawhair from being 2 0 up. 

We all want to play like Denmark but need quality players. We would more than likely beat easy teams and look like champions. Not possible to beat top teams. 

Don't want to play like ROI long term we need a manager who can win matches until we can play like Denmark. 

They got beat 5-1, we shouldn’t be emulating that at all :lol:

1 hour ago, legalbeagle said:

The main theme on here for years was demanding pretty football.

Personally, I have always seen us as direct. Even including the Gascoignes and Laudrups, it was more about getting goals than possession.

Correct. 

My Granda always said this, I remember yapping about the football under Walter at times and he used to say.. 'Rangers have never played nice football, it was always C****c who tried to play that type of football. Rangers team's were always bigger and stronger and had more bottle when it came down to it, grinding out victories and doing what was needed to win championship.' 

5 hours ago, plymouthranger said:

Pumped twice by the mighty Motherwell. Just what we fucking need.

What a fucking bunch of desperados we have became if that's the best we can come up with.

celtic play possession based football and a 4-3-3 formation.  They finished the league with 106pts last season, won a treble, and haven't lost a game domestically in a long time.  The system clearly does work we just lack the manager and/or players to make it work for us.

4 hours ago, legalbeagle said:

The main theme on here for years was demanding pretty football.

Personally, I have always seen us as direct. Even including the Gascoignes and Laudrups, it was more about getting goals than possession.

Warburton's 4-3-3 was too heavily focused on possession.  When the ball got to our wide players up the pitch we'd start passing it side to side and the opposition defence would have time to reorganise their defence again.  With celtic you can clearly see they're more direct in the final third with the wingers running straight at the defenders trying to make something happen.  

Someone else said we were always the bigger more direct team but celtic had great success playing that way under MON.

There's merits to any system if you can make it work for you.

3 hours ago, bluenose244 said:

Correct. 

My Granda always said this, I remember yapping about the football under Walter at times and he used to say.. 'Rangers have never played nice football, it was always C****c who tried to play that type of football. Rangers team's were always bigger and stronger and had more bottle when it came down to it, grinding out victories and doing what was needed to win championship.' 

That’s how I see it, most successful Rangers teams I’ve seen didn’t stroke the ball about, with the exception of Advocaat’s “money no object” era.

8 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

That’s how I see it, most successful Rangers teams I’ve seen didn’t stroke the ball about, with the exception of Advocaat’s “money no object” era.

We always had one or two 'flair players' you're Jim Baxter's and Davie Cooper's but the spine of the team was always built on solid foundations. 

That is what this team lacks in my opinion. 

mon had crosses going in constantly for good target men. They had great headers of a ball in there. 

Whatever way tims play now, they have good strikers of the ball in many positions and areas. Striking of the ball to finish chances or get goals from the unexpected is our weakest point as a team. Our shooting and finishing is like a division or 2 down from where we are.

34 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

celtic play possession based football and a 4-3-3 formation.  They finished the league with 106pts last season, won a treble, and haven't lost a game domestically in a long time.  The system clearly does work we just lack the manager and/or players to make it work for us.

Once again praising the taigs , you know far to much about them for my liking ...........

5 hours ago, Big Al II said:

It's not possession based football that's the problem it's the idiots trying to play it.

And the Warburton induced fascination with passing back to the goalkeeper!

Cost us the opener & Jack had earlier done it when under no pressure at all!

Christ - if our players seriously believe Wes can use the ball better than they can, we may as well give up!

Although, his first apart, Jack’s passing was that bad that Wes probably WAS the better option!