Possession based football

plymouthranger

Caixinha was a long ball merchant.

His tactic was getting Alves to lump.it forward to Herrera. This tactic didn't change much when Herrera got dropped for Morelos which was even more baffling.

Our first problem is not having a good manager who firstly can improve the curre t team and get us winning. Our second and biggest problem is we just need better players.

5 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

Once again praising the taigs , you know far to much about them for my liking ...........

The OP is criticising possession based football and the 4-3-3 formation.  It's complete idiocy to point to those two things as problems when the team currently dominating football in this country use a possession based 4-3-3.  The formation and system can work to great affect we just can't seem to do it.  

Also, me saying celtic won the league last season or are on a prolonged unbeaten run isn't exactly top secret information.  

The board don’t know fuck all about a philosophy.

Warburton was all possession based, passing for passings sake and Caixinha served up glorified long ball football dressed up as something fancier by a guy who talked in riddles.

Their styles of football couldn’t be further apart in terms of style even though both men were appointed by the same people and higher ups who have been prattling on about philosophies for nearly three years now.

Although celtic have enjoyed great success with their possession based 4-3-3 I'm a fan of a big physical team and direct football.  I think we as a club should pursue the more physical, combative, and direct route as it's often cheaper to buy those type of players than the little silky ones.  There's merits to any system the main thing is to implement them properly and we have failed to do that.  At this point we just need to a manager who can get something working no matter what it is. 

10 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

The OP is criticising possession based football and the 4-3-3 formation.  It's complete idiocy to point to those two things as problems when the team currently dominating football in this country use a possession based 4-3-3.  The formation and system can work to great affect we just can't seem to do it.  

Also, me saying celtic won the league last season or are on a prolonged unbeaten run isn't exactly top secret information.  

You are fooling no-one on here , you are never done praising Brenda and his team on here. Noticed it ages ago , another one worth watching...........

Possession football is overrated. We could pass the ball around for 90 mins back and forth between the midfield and defence but scoring goals is the name of the game.

You need to find a way through nine defenders and a goalie to do that, we don't have the players that can unlock tight defences at the moment nor quality finishers.

Until we fix those problems we can knock the ball around the middle of the park and wait for the inevitable intercept or bad pass  as against Hamilton and you are behind the game. We will continue to lose games we shouldn't unless we get a attacking mid that can pass the ball into spaces and a striker who can at least work the GK everytime.

22 hours ago, Dazzler said:

Don't really care about possession from that list of stats, the lack of shots on target is more of a concern. 

Even under MW we did have most of the possession but the biggest trend for me which is still occurring wasn’t our shots on target compared to goals (which also needs put right) but it seems to me that teams had fewer and very little chances yet they found the bag of the net, time and time again 

similar to Hamilton.

First and foremost the strikers should be taking their chances or we wouldn’t need to worry about losing the odd goal or two but is this because we think we’re controlling the game that much that the defence are pushing too far up park which leaves us very vulnerable to a quick counterattack?

Ross made that fkd up pass from the halfway line which meant they got in behind us so is our defence just sitting in a natural position up there or is there a lack of concentration / discipline similar to Kenny being all over the park

21 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

You are fooling no-one on here , you are never done praising Brenda and his team on here. Noticed it ages ago , another one worth watching...........

Meeting up during match day normally solves any concerns where essentially you buy the guy a pint if the offer is taken up ?

21 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

You're wrong.  I've often said that Brendan Rodgers has the easiest job in British football.  However, that doesn't mean the possession based 4-3-3 doesn't work because it clearly does.  Some of the biggest teams in world football use it.  Pointing the finger of blame at that formation and style of football as the casual factor of our issues, as the OP done, is well wide of the mark.