Borussia Mönchengladbach v Rangers 1987 Germany

The_Corinthian

13 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Was at the match. The Belgian referee was fuckin at it. Was later found guilty of corruption although not for this particular match

big Butcher had to be held back at the end of the game - he was going to murder the prick. 

Thought we had someone sent off? Roberts? 

9 minutes ago, JWAC said:

Thought we had someone sent off? Roberts? 

No, we had two off. Munro then Cooper. 

Both were as dodgy as fuck. Cooper got booted up and down the park that night and ended up getting a second booking for dissent 

the ref was a joke that night 

I was also at that game we had some support that night what a noise we made before during and after the match we stayed in dussldorf the place was full of bears. I think Germany is my favourite country to go and see the gers never had one bad trip there and I have been to a few different cities within the country watching the Rangers over the years.

Remember going to a pub , that had blue and white plates with what looked like King Billy in the centre of them , adorned around the walls . Within half an hour they were all gone . Couldnt see too many of them surviving the journey home :lol: 

3 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Remember going to a pub , that had blue and white plates with what looked like King Billy in the centre of them , adorned around the walls . Within half an hour they were all gone . Couldnt see too many of them surviving the journey home :lol: 

Aye i vaguely remember that.

I also remember an old 5p being the same size as 1 mark and the fag machine getting emptied for 20p lol....The stop at the Belgian service station and the boys running out with all the beer is etched on my memory too....What a laugh that was.

38 minutes ago, Gaffbear said:

Aye i vaguely remember that.

I also remember an old 5p being the same size as 1 mark and the fag machine getting emptied for 20p lol....The stop at the Belgian service station and the boys running out with all the beer is etched on my memory too....What a laugh that was.

:lol: Aye , just walking on the bus with cases of beer . 

My memory was how rough the sea was on the way back . Guys spewing everywhere and the toilets flooded . 

Thank fuck for airlines nowadays .

49 minutes ago, gmcf said:

:lol: Aye , just walking on the bus with cases of beer . 

My memory was how rough the sea was on the way back . Guys spewing everywhere and the toilets flooded . 

Thank fuck for airlines nowadays .

Definately.  I remember trying to kip in the bar and nearly spewing many times .. People changing their tops cos they' d been sick on themselves ...  was awful .

BMG were the first team I saw put us out of Europe back in 1973.

Germans (Cologne) would also put us out in the EC QF 78/79 (after beating Juventus and PSV).

Makes you marvel at how we managed to put Bayern Munich out of the ECWC in 72, a team full of Germans who had won the European Championship and would go onto win the WC in 74.

I remember the walk back to the buses after the game when we had to pass a line of German police with roughly every third one trying to hold back a big snarling alsation dug . The dugs were getting pelted with all the lose change guys had which only made them strain at the leash even more  resulting in the following Bears getting rid of their change in the same manner , A vicious circle :lol:  

It was my first Euro trip and I can remember being surprised at how small the stadium was , not unlike tannadice IIRC .  The other memory I have is of being in a bar beforehand and having to quickly suss out that you kept hold of your glass as when guys were asking for 6 lagers etc when it got busy the barman just poured 6 into whatever size glasses he had , so some boys had pint (litre ? )glasses and some had what could be described as wine glasses , same price and just your luck !

31 years seems fuckin unreal .