Biggest surprise and the biggest letdown? (Rangers' signings)

Gaz52

3 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

In thinking about this again - Souness - now that was exciting and a shock and then disappointing when he left for Liverpool. 

After he did the forced interview with David Murray where he squirmed throughout like some scolded schoolboy I found it hard to take to him. He liked Liverpool more than he Liked Rangers in simplistic terms.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

Biggest surprise Stuart Munro was superb among the million pound players.

biggest disappointment, far to many to mention but the biggest disappointment and it greives me to this day and probably will  till I die was Ian Durrant's injury 

Durrants injury is a good call for biggest disappointment - 30,000 for a reserve game when he made his comeback! 

1 minute ago, Smile said:

After he did the forced interview with David Murray where he squirmed throughout like some scolded schoolboy I found it hard to take to him. He liked Liverpool more than he Liked Rangers in simplistic terms.

Yep, hence the disappointment. 

9 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

It’s a bit of a myth we played him at right back I think. I thought he played as a right centre back in a back 3 and he just preferred to play in the centre?

I pretty young so I could be remembering it wrong.

I think you're correct and it was the same night we played Hateley at left wing to accommodate big Duncan through the middle against AEK Athens .

Surprises to me:  Andrews, Kyrgiakos, Waterreus, Huistra, Rideout, Lovenkrands, Bougherra, Weiss, Aluko. Novo

Disappointments: Kuznetsov, Dunc Ferguson, Boli (I still think we meant to sign Desailly instead), Rozental, Konterman, Capucho, Sebo.

I haven't gone back over the 30 year mark or thereabouts.   There are a lot of other players who flopped but I expected that from many of them so they weren't disappointments.

13 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Out of interest , what standard should we have been looking at when we signed Munro ?  

I'm struggling to take you seriously regarding players since you don't consider Charlie Miller to be a successful product from our Youth team !  Admittedly he never made as much of his career as he should have but FFS he was playing in a team of big buys and superstars from the age of 17 and never looked out of place . 

Souness tried to replace Munro from the off.   He signed Bartram, Vinnicombe, Cowan, Phillips, and even played John Brown at left back.  Souness never really rated Munro and neither did I.   Then he signed Davie Robertson who was outstanding in my opinion.

Charlie Miller was hardly a success was he?   He certainly didn't hit the heights he probably should have given his ability as a youth.  

48 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

I think you're correct and it was the same night we played Hateley at left wing to accommodate big Duncan through the middle against AEK Athens .

I actually think Walter played a back three with wing backs to accommodate Boli because that’s what he was used to Marseille. Although there was no way he would have shunted Gough out of the prime central position. 

We continued playing like that even after Boli left with McLaren, Gough, Bjorklund, Brown, Moore all playing.

Neil McCann was a massive surprise for me. I thought he was a great player for us.

Biggest disappointment was the same era. Tore Andre Flo. Purely for the fee we paid, and the hype surrounding the transfer.

Other notable mentions: Novo, Darceville, Prso, Rod Wallace, Tugay, and Boumsong.

Can an older bear tell me this...when I first started going to games Dave McPherson was a bit of a regular. I would have only been 5 or 6 so my football knowledge wasn’t great but I always remember him being an absolute donkey and way below the quality level of player we had at that time. This was beginning of 9 in a row era. Was that the case? Or am I being harsh on him? 

10 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Can an older bear tell me this...when I first started going to games Dave McPherson was a bit of a regular. I would have only been 5 or 6 so my football knowledge wasn’t great but I always remember him being an absolute donkey and way below the quality level of player we had at that time. This was beginning of 9 in a row era. Was that the case? Or am I being harsh on him? 

I thought he was a donkey but a couple of others a few days ago when this was talked about defended him so the camp probably split 

6 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

No you're right, he was a donkey. Sure we got rid of him to Hertz allegedly because he got caught dipping his teammtes pockepockets in the dressing room. He played at right back most games because of the Brown/Gough partnership which didn't heĺp him. Always came across as a decent big guy when interviewed. 

10 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

He was a bit of a gangly fucker legs all over the place like a horse on an ice rink but was a solid enough defender. Think his hair made him look taller but he could clear his lines.

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I thought he was a donkey but a couple of others a few days ago when this was talked about defended him so the camp probably split 

I must’ve have missed that thread, I’m with you - I just remember a cumbersome big Barnett clogging round the pitch. 

1 hour ago, JCDBigBear said:

Souness tried to replace Munro from the off.   He signed Bartram, Vinnicombe, Cowan, Phillips, and even played John Brown at left back.  Souness never really rated Munro and neither did I.   Then he signed Davie Robertson who was outstanding in my opinion.

Charlie Miller was hardly a success was he?   He certainly didn't hit the heights he probably should have given his ability as a youth.  

Stuart Munro saw off the challenge from all Souness's  alternatives , Souness never rated McCoist either so was definitely not infallible .

Walter signed Davie Robertson 

Miller played a part in several title winning sides , League Cup winner , and held his own among some of the finest to wear our shirt but you think that's hardly a success for a product from our youth team . what would you class as a success then ? 

I agree he never hit the heights his ability warranted , but give me a Rangers youth graduate winning league titles & cups for our first team over a transfer fee and medals elsewhere anytime .

13 minutes ago, My Fathers Scarf said:

No you're right, he was a donkey. Sure we got rid of him to Hertz allegedly because he got caught dipping his teammtes pockepockets in the dressing room. He played at right back most games because of the Brown/Gough partnership which didn't heĺp him. Always came across as a decent big guy when interviewed. 

You sure about that ?

First I've heard of that and I'm sure he's still welcome back at Ibrox . Serious allegation to put out IMO.

16 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

KAI  I would take big McPherson in a heartbeat just now, he turned into a good big solid centre half in the end up.

5 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Stuart Munro saw off the challenge from all Souness's  alternatives , Souness never rated McCoist either so was definitely not infallible .

Walter signed Davie Robertson 

Miller played a part in several title winning sides , League Cup winner , and held his own among some of the finest to wear our shirt but you think that's hardly a success for a product from our youth team . what would you class as a success then ? 

I agree he never hit the heights his ability warranted , but give me a Rangers youth graduate winning league titles & cups for our first team over a transfer fee and medals elsewhere anytime .

I can't remember who actually signed Robertson but it matters not as my point was that GS wanted Munro replaced.   Walter must have thought he wasn't good enough as he sold Munro.

Charlie Miller looked full of promise but never fulfilled that potential.    I'd rather we spent more on a better player than save money on a poorer homegrown product.

1 hour ago, JCDBigBear said:

Was it not Smith that signed Robertson?

4 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

You sure about that ?

First I've heard of that and I'm sure he's still welcome back at Ibrox . Serious allegation to put out IMO.

Thats why I said allegedly. Also why I said he came across as a decent big guy. Other older bears might confirm.