Biggest surprise and the biggest letdown? (Rangers' signings)

Gaz52

The Mo Johnston signing was the biggest surprise EVER. To let the younger fans know, in those days 1989 there was no 24/7 news, no internet, no social media etc etc. Mo had been paraded by celtic days before the Cup Final, but nothing had been signed. We awoke on the morning of 10th July 1989 to Mo in a Rangers shirt on the front page of the Sun newspaper announcing his signing. It was the biggest signing in our history by far, nothing has, nor ever will come close to it in a million years.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

The Mo Johnston signing was the biggest surprise EVER. To let the younger fans know, in those days 1989 there was no 24/7 news, no internet, no social media etc etc. Mo had been paraded by celtic days before the Cup Final, but nothing had been signed. We awoke on the morning of 10th July 1989 to Mo in a Rangers shirt on the front page of the Sun newspaper announcing his signing. It was the biggest signing in our history by far, nothing has, nor ever will come close to it in a million years.

Kenny Miller signing for a 2nd time had 10x the impact/surprise this did.

47 minutes ago, My Fathers Scarf said:

No you're right, he was a donkey. Sure we got rid of him to Hertz allegedly because he got caught dipping his teammtes pockepockets in the dressing room. He played at right back most games because of the Brown/Gough partnership which didn't heĺp him. Always came across as a decent big guy when interviewed. 

Agree with the playing side of your post but I've never heard that highlighted allegation.  I'm sure it is false as we would never have taken him back and as far as I know he is still welcome at Ibrox.

24 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Jon Daly comes close 

2 hours ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Totally agree. Nothing will ever surpass the day we saw Mo in blue!! Didnt believe it myself at the time but for surprise/shock value its really miles ahead of anything else. Next big surprise for me was Butcher and the start of the English revolution as that brought a number of real stars to Glasgow from top teams down south and that would be unimaginable nowadays.

Biggest disappointment was Seb Rozenthal - huge build up and never really lived up to expectations and scottish football was slightly tougher than he expected. Next big disappointment is probably the current squad, no one in particular, just the whole squad!!!

9 hours ago, theclothmonster said:

Pleasantly surprised:

Michael Mols - I genuinely believe Mols would have gone on to the highest level if not for his injury, absolute class player. 

Biggest disappointment:

Oleg Salenko - Remember him scoring the five goals against Cameroon in the World cup and being all hyped when we signed him. 

Basil Boli - Came with a massive reputation and was just such a let down.

Boli - based in the Loch Lomond Cameron House hotel for most of the early part of the season. The story from my pal in the media at the time, was the he was ordering pints and room service Burger and Fish and Chips most nights. Basil certainly took to Scotland very well, came with a massive reputation, left with an equally massive belly soon after.

3 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

I can't remember who actually signed Robertson but it matters not as my point was that GS wanted Munro replaced.   Walter must have thought he wasn't good enough as he sold Munro.

Charlie Miller looked full of promise but never fulfilled that potential.    I'd rather we spent more on a better player than save money on a poorer homegrown product.

Walter sold munro due to the 3 foreigner rule, same as woods

7 hours ago, trains said:

Totally agree. Nothing will ever surpass the day we saw Mo in blue!! Didnt believe it myself at the time but for surprise/shock value its really miles ahead of anything else. Next big surprise for me was Butcher and the start of the English revolution as that brought a number of real stars to Glasgow from top teams down south and that would be unimaginable nowadays.

Biggest disappointment was Seb Rozenthal - huge build up and never really lived up to expectations and scottish football was slightly tougher than he expected. Next big disappointment is probably the current squad, no one in particular, just the whole squad!!!

Yeah anyone who doesn't think that Mo was the biggest sensation clearly wasn't old enough to remember it happening. It was massive, for days and days. It was national and international news. It was huge. It will never be surpassed.

BIggest suprises:

Ricksen turning it round after that first OF when he was subbed after only 20 (ish) minutes.  Went on to be one of our best ever RB

Mols as I knew little about him before he turned up.  Would have been one of the world's best if it wasnt for O. Kahn

Rod Wallace - a nobody and did us great (including breaking Jim Leighton's jaw :) )

Too many flops to mention over the years but Flo and Barton have to be amongst the biggest

1 hour ago, NamibianBear said:

BIggest suprises:

Ricksen turning it round after that first OF when he was subbed after only 20 (ish) minutes.  Went on to be one of our best ever RB

Mols as I knew little about him before he turned up.  Would have been one of the world's best if it wasnt for O. Kahn

Rod Wallace - a nobody and did us great (including breaking Jim Leighton's jaw :) )

Too many flops to mention over the years but Flo and Barton have to be amongst the biggest

I wish Ricksen well with his illness but no way did he go on to become one of our best ever right backs

the season he was superb was the helicopter Sunday one and he was playing in midfield 

There’s a fair few but Bougherra and McCann stand out at players I never thought would amount to much, but really excelled at Rangers.

There have been a fair few disappointments, but Guivarch, Capucho and Rothen were pretty high pedigree and were absolutely woeful. 

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

I wish Ricksen well with his illness but no way did he go on to become one of our best ever right backs

the season he was superb was the helicopter Sunday one and he was playing in midfield 

Suprise - that he actually lasted the 20 mins in that OF game.  Was a great player, maybe not the best (i will conceed that) RB but certainly a very good player for us

19 hours ago, stewaj3 said:

Not sure about cousin, purely for the flaws you've mentioned. Still will forgive him for the way he left us.

Also maniero is a great shout. I thought he'd score goals for fun here. Sadly wasn't to be.

I thought hemdani was different class.. it just shows you how different two people watching the game can have opposing views. I think you look at the top teams now and there is always room for that kind of player.

I always thought Hemdani could have been am absolute great and held in the same regard as some of our legendary players, things just never went his way. 

Joined us and immediately had a serious injury keeping him out the side.

In his 4 years with us there was 3 managers including PLG, never really had the continuity or stability of a strong Rangers side. 

Was with us and a mainstay for the last 16 CL and even more so the final run in the EC, then he was basically exiled and forced out the club. 

We'll never really know what went on behind the scenes but I always thought he was class, I used to be frustrated that he wasn't given a more prominent role in the team.