Biggest surprise and the biggest letdown? (Rangers' signings)

Gaz52

13 hours ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

The Mo Johnston signing was the biggest surprise EVER. To let the younger fans know, in those days 1989 there was no 24/7 news, no internet, no social media etc etc. Mo had been paraded by celtic days before the Cup Final, but nothing had been signed. We awoke on the morning of 10th July 1989 to Mo in a Rangers shirt on the front page of the Sun newspaper announcing his signing. It was the biggest signing in our history by far, nothing has, nor ever will come close to it in a million years.

we got Ally fuck yer mo at the 89 cup final:rangers:

all the time never signed, sealed, delivered, think Ally swore to secrecy at Italia 90 over this, remember that morning and all the papersĀ 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Cuellar - Was only a wee guy and had never heard of him, but he's maybe the best centre back I've seen play for us.

Ā 

Barton - Talked him self up, spoke constant shite on radio and on Twitter, and was awful. If Alves doesn't improve then he'll be a shout.

Absolutely loved Cuellar. Was such a solid and dependable defender right from the off,Ā Ā the perfect foil for Weir. A real Walter Smith signing who brought instant stability and authority to that back four.Ā 

big Marv. Ā We've signed Boumsong on one side and then gave him Marvin fucking Andrews to cover him on the other side. Ā Just an awful signing I thought. Ā By the end of the season Boumsong was gone and Big Marv had us all believing we were going to win that league and he was one of the signings of the season aswell. Ā Loved that big guy.Ā 

Gui'varch. Ā World Cup winner, done absolutely fuck all for us, think he scored a few goals against St Johnstone. That's all I can remember.Ā 

22 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Van Vossen was a goal machine over in Holland and even got call ups for the Dutch national team.Ā  For us he couldn't even score in front of an empty net.Ā  Really strange.

I was at that game and I agree, but go to 8:05 in this YouTube....

Ā 

Very good question and I've been thinking about this one for a while. Ā I thought that the late Davie Cooper was a brilliant signing for us even though my celtic supporting friend always insisted that he was the invisible man in Old Firm games. Ā Ditto for the late Colin McAdam. Ā More recent times, Mark Hateley was a fine signing.Ā Bummer of a signingĀ was Basile Boli and I saw him a few times in 1993.