Ronaldinho

GOAT

31 minutes ago, sassaaaa said:

Romario was better than a couple of them.......

It's weird how underrated Romario seems to have become. I get that he messed about at lesser clubs for too much of his career but he was as skillful as any Brazilian, scored a preposterous amount and won world player of the year and a World Cup in the same year. It was brilliant to see him and Edmundo humiliating Man Utd for Vasco Da Gama when everyone thought he was over the hill. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, JamieD said:

It's weird how underrated Romario seems to have become. I get that he messed about at lesser clubs for too much of his career but he was as skillful as any Brazilian, scored a preposterous amount and won world player of the year and a World Cup in the same year. It was brilliant to see him and Edmundo humiliating Man Utd for Vasco Da Gama when everyone thought he was over the hill. 

First 4-5 yards were blistering and left most folk behind. Terrific goal scorer and the player that got me watching Barcelona .

I don't think they are underrated at all tbh. Romario is regarded as one of the best Brazilian strikers of all time.

When you talk about the best footballers you tend to do it looking at their whole careers and not just the purple patches. There have been plenty of ridiculously talented players who just haven't had it in them to do it kver the course for various reasons. Ronaldinho chucked it at 27/28 basically when that should have been his absokute peak as a footballer. Romario had unreal ability too and could score any goal you could think of but he arsed about too much and only turned it on when he could be bothered. On his day he was unplayable but just didn't do it as long as others have.

Another guy who had it all was Adriano who looked to be the heir to the real Ronaldo but in his early to mid 20's he went off the rails with personal problems and dissapearded into the abyss. 

Guys like Messi and Ronaldo are rare because they have kept an unbelievable high standard over their entire careers breaking every record and winning every trophy on the way. Especially in an era where young players earn millions from their teens, be unlikely to see that kind of consistency in players like they have.

45 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Loved watching the likes of Totti, Ronaldinho and the real Ronaldo in their prime. Although a completely different type of player and not skillful or a dribbler, I found Xavi fascinating to watch and extremely entertaining. 

Real Ronaldo is my favourite ever  has there ever been a player as powerful as him?

He was a machine 

24 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I don't think they are underrated at all tbh. Romario is regarded as one of the best Brazilian strikers of all time.

When you talk about the best footballers you tend to do it looking at their whole careers and not just the purple patches. There have been plenty of ridiculously talented players who just haven't had it in them to do it kver the course for various reasons. Ronaldinho chucked it at 27/28 basically when that should have been his absokute peak as a footballer. Romario had unreal ability too and could score any goal you could think of but he arsed about too much and only turned it on when he could be bothered. On his day he was unplayable but just didn't do it as long as others have.

Another guy who had it all was Adriano who looked to be the heir to the real Ronaldo but in his early to mid 20's he went off the rails with personal problems and dissapearded into the abyss. 

Guys like Messi and Ronaldo are rare because they have kept an unbelievable high standard over their entire careers breaking every record and winning every trophy on the way. Especially in an era where young players earn millions from their teens, be unlikely to see that kind of consistency in players like they have.

That's the thing though. The further we get from his playing days he seems to be mentioned as just a goalscorer, like some kind of luxury class poacher. He's partly responsible for that, of course, bragging about his ridiculous goal tally like Pele, including friendlies and all that, but he was a magnificently skillful player who could have been a world class playmaker.

5 minutes ago, JamieD said:

That's the thing though. The further we get from his playing days he seems to be mentioned as just a goalscorer, like some kind of luxury class poacher. He's partly responsible for that, of course, bragging about his ridiculous goal tally like Pele, including friendlies and all that, but he was a magnificently skillful player who could have been a world class playmaker.

Like all strikers it's the goals you remember, not the 4 stepovers or mesmerising run through a packed defence. I think that generally happens after a long period of time with players. Its even worse when its guys who never seen them play but base it on clips n archive foktage online so they get a impression of a player differntly to that when we watched them for 90 minutes in games. He was an incredibly skilful player who had everything but never seemed to go on a 3/4 season run of consistency at the top.  

24 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Real Ronaldo is my favourite ever  has there ever been a player as powerful as him?

He was a machine 

Every time I see this goal I can't think of any way it would be possible to stop him. Starts running from the centre circle, the ball is in the back of the net in 6 seconds.

On 02/12/2017 at 20:19, GOAT said:

Has there ever been a more entertaining footballer in your lifetime?  The guy was just amazing, always played with a smile on his face aswell, would just leave players for dead in the blink of an eye.

Messi and Ronaldo, are unbelievable but they were nowhere near as entertaining on a football pitch as Ronaldinho for me. 

Lobbed Seaman from 40 yards.

9 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

My memories of Ronaldo are Sunday mornings in my cousins living room watching this 

I used to stay at my grandas on a friday. We would watch trans world sport, the morning line (horse racing show) then gazetta football Italia and then grandstand on the Saturday morning 

Great memories there and you only posted the introduction to it :lol:

1 hour ago, The Godfather said:

He was a good player but he's was never in the top 5 players during his playing career never mind all time 

My top 5 players. 

On pure ability he was incredible. But yeah, he's obviously not had the career that others have had.

2 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

I used to stay at my grandas on a friday. We would watch trans world sport, the morning line (horse racing show) then gazetta football Italia and then grandstand on the Saturday morning 

I loved/hated that trans world sport. You would see they were having a bit in it about the fitba you were choking to see but would have to watch some shite ski things and a cricket highlight before it got to it.

1 hour ago, JamieD said:

I agree. 

An unbelievable finisher and incredible first touch, so quick accross 5 yards. 

Just now, The Godfather said:

I loved/hated that trans world sport. You would see they were having a bit in it about the fitba you were choking to see but would have to watch some shite ski things and a cricket highlight before it got to it.

Aye it would show some right weird shit. Showed the sauna championships once from.finland :lol:

I'd give my left ball to have one Saturday like that again in my grans

5 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

We got trans world sport in South Africa. You'd have to sit through power boat racing or some other nonsense but they often featured South American football which gave me a hard on as I never got to see it! 

Just now, Rfc52 said:

Aye it would show some right weird shit. Showed the sauna championships once from.finland :lol:

I'd give my left ball to have one Saturday like that again in my grans

Same mate. Those days were incredible. Whole weekend at the cousins playing football out his back, watching these things and playing FIFA 97 on the PlayStation to daft o'lock. No worries or hassles just loving life....oh and Rangers were cracking back then too lol 

2 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Riquelme is nowhere near Zidanes level ffs 

I disagree. But it's all about opinions isn't it. Personally I looked forward to watching riquelme more than zidane but I think I was just biased towards South America. Anyone Argentinian or Brazilian and I thought they were automatically brilliant!

Back then you had to sit through shit to see what you wanted when now ays you'd just set it to series link, download or stream it.

Remember trying to chug to Eurotrash but it was always a dangerous game because one minute 5 beauies would be topless splashing each other in a sauna then it would just cut to the presenter in assess chaps showing a clip on a guy lifting a brick with his nipple 

5 minutes ago, gsa said:

We got trans world sport in South Africa. You'd have to sit through power boat racing or some other nonsense but they often featured South American football which gave me a hard on as I never got to see it! 

Power boat racing was always on it :lol:

I might watch one on YouTube 

4 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

:lol: Those were the days. Watching a 14 minute segment about the next big hope for the Slovenian Biathlon team or, god forbid, kabbaddi, just so you can see a twenty second clip of Maradona with a beer belly and a skunk stripe in his hair playing for Boca.