Big jig talks Walter smith with Simon ferry

RFC55

LEE McCULLOCH has lifted the lid on the time Walter Smith threw a TEAPOT after screaming at Kevin Thomson.

The former Rangers star admitted he would be scared to be on the receiving end of his old manager’s temper.

But it was after the Ibrox club’s Champions League qualifying defeat to Kaunas back in 2008 that things reached boiling point.

And it was ex-Gers star Kevin Thomson that was in the firing line that time.

Speaking to Si Ferry on Open Goal, McCulloch said: “I was sitting next to Kevin Thomson when we got put out of the Champions League qualifying stages away to Kaunas.

“My head was nearly between my knees in case I got eye contact with (Smith) and he started on me.

He went through Thommo that day, really went through him.

“He picked up a teapot and turned round and threw it off a wall, and it missed Jimmy Bell by an inch!

I was petrified, absolutely petrified.”

McCulloch admitted that even if Smith looked at you a certain way, you knew you were in trouble.

He added: “Even in training, you just knew if you got a stare.

“If you’d go out training, his backroom staff would take the warm-up and everybody would be joking about.

As soon as he came out, everyone was like ‘the manager’s here, we need to get our heads down’.

“That was the presence he had.

“And when he walked into the dressing room, everybody just shut up and looked at him

Here's the video 

Honestly that's what we need at the club. Desire like Walter had. I've read Gascoigne say he was throwing things round the dressing room as we led falkirk 3 or 4 0 at half time. High standards need to be demanded. There can be no shit like Warburton did thinking Ross county away is a point gained, nor Pedro's nonsense after a defeat.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, gsa said:

Such a god he had to be moved on so that we could actually win a game or two in Europe. 

Right now I'll snap your right arm off right for domestic clean sweeps and European failures. Fucking left arm as well in fact. We've got bigger worries than performing in Europe the now. Qualification cash is all I give a fuck for.

10 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

Can you imagine any of our last three managers treating the pampered fucks like that.

The backroom staff joker became one of those managers. They might not have been pampered had he picked a more appropriate assistant . David Murray and Martin Bain should be shot if they were both responsible for the contract given to Walters assistant.

In fact they should be shot regardless, for their incompetence.

3 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Do people still use tea pots?  Maybe Murty could throw an electric kettle instead?  Mind you, someone might stand on the plug and that would be a sore yin.

You've no lived unless you've had a good brew from a tea pot! 

7 hours ago, gsa said:

Such a god he had to be moved on so that we could actually win a game or two in Europe. 

Yes a god who barring a corrupt Marseille would have had us in a European final and with a workman like team got us to an actual European final. Some folk on here !! Ffs 

Barring 2 good seasons (1992/1993 and Manchester) Europe was very much Smith’s Achilles heel overall 

Europe was and always will be a bonus for a Scottish team especially in recent years.

For me Smith properly proved his worth as a Rangers manager second time round as the odds were higher and it was a completely different job to the one he had during the money lavished 9 in a row days when celtic were shite