Big jig talks Walter smith with Simon ferry

RFC55

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you’d go out training, his backroom staff would take the warm-up and everybody would be joking about.

As soon as he came out, everyone was like ‘the manager’s here, we need to get our heads down’.

“That was the presence he had.

“And when he walked into the dressing room, everybody just shut up and looked at him.”

Thats what we need just now. Somebody with stature and presence.

16 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Older generation might not agree but for.me he's Mr Rangers 

Me too (tu)

During the past few years I’ve found myself saying what would Smith do in this situation about so many aspects of the team because he just knew exactly how to manage us and there’s been so many decisions made by various managers that I think would never have happened if Smith was the man in charge.

Some snide cunt will probably come on and moan about the style of football or mention europe but IMO he’s the benchmark that all Rangers managers should strive to emulate.

First time round, he had the cash to do almost anything, and arguably could've won the champions league. 

Second time round, took over the worst "proper" Rangers team - Le Guens mess. Brought in old men like Davie Weir, Christian Daily, a shite Lee McCulloch and the likes of Kirk Broadfoot and turned them into a team that won 3 leagues in a row and took them to a European final. Kept a clean sheet at old Trafford when not a single team except us left that stadium that season with a clean sheet. Helped bring our debt down while he done all that. 

If Walter Smith isn't a legend, then I don't know who is. Best manager of my lifetime, probably only beaten in full Rangers history by Bill Struth. 

People go on about his "aggression". He wasn't an aggressive guy, but he knew when aggression was needed. And used it wisely, not aggressively. The taigs hate him. If that is not enough alone to show some on here that he's a Rangers legend (someone said best living Ranger, hard to think of many, if any better) Walter Smith is a God in Rangers terms. How anyone can say anything to the contrary is beyond me. 

PS, Scotland would've made that world cup if our club didn't need him more and he answered our plea. 

A boy in work saw Walter putting stuff in his boot whilst parked on a double yellow. He walks over and says to him that he cannae park there. Walter looks him up and down and growls at him to fuck off. Boy says “I’m only kidding Walter I’m a bluenose.”  Walter looks at him and says “What the fuck are you wearing a green jumper for then?” Legend for that comment alone...

17 hours ago, gsa said:

Strasbourg,  Gothenburg, AEK Athens, Kaunas....

Walter was great domestically but he oversaw some utter shambles in Europe. People act know like he's a God.

Not a god, just the best manager most of us have saw at Rangers and one that'll take a bit of beating in the future. But you concentrate on the negative side of him if it makes you happy in some weird way.

17 hours ago, gsa said:

Strasbourg,  Gothenburg, AEK Athens, Kaunas....

Walter was great domestically but he oversaw some utter shambles in Europe. People act know like he's a God.

10 league titles

5 Scottish cups

6 league cups

a goal away from the CL final

a UEFA cup final 

Dominated celtic in old firm results 

Now fuck up. 

Europe has already been covered in this thread so really all I’ve got to say is that I regret moaning about how he delivered our trophies. I can mind moaning after we won the league at Tannadice( 2nd spell)as well as being pissed off at going to cup finals and seeing us outplayed by shite teams. We still walked away with the trophies and and much as I put it down to luck at the time it was clearly a trademark of Walter Smith’s Rangers sides. Take a beating almost then land a sucker punch and walk away with the glory.

Fucking miss that.

3 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

Gothenburg and Athens were very good sides 

I’m not excusing poor results in Europe but I’m sure when we got pumped off Juventus they won it .. maybe even Dortmund too when we were in their group ... Strasbourg put out Liverpool after us and went on a decent European run too 

not excusing it as I say but I find a few teams that beat us in Europe tend to do well ... Alkmaar too got to the semis I’m sure when they knocked us out Europa group stage, Valencia finalists in 1999 too?

3 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

Gothenburg and Athens were very good sides 

They were decent but we have more fans and had a substantially more expensively assembled squad. 

I like Walter but Europe was most certainly a failing first time around. People can't re-write history. 

17 minutes ago, gsa said:

They were decent but we have more fans and had a substantially more expensively assembled squad. 

I like Walter but Europe was most certainly a failing first time around. People can't re-write history. 

dont think anyone is rewriting history. He has to my knowledge scottish footballs longest ever unbeaten record when including europe?