RFC55

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

dont think anyone is rewriting history. He has to my knowledge scottish footballs longest ever unbeaten record when including europe?

History shows we were winning leagues at a canter and then regularly getting pumped in the European preliminary rounds. Considering we had money to spend, no real domestic challenge to worry about, etc...we quite simply should've been doing a lot better. 

The year we actually got through we were awful and couldn't compete, albeit Juve and Dortmund were great sides.

And yes 92-93 was great but that aside, first time around, his record in Europe was extremely poor. It was why Advocaat was brought in. 

4 minutes ago, gsa said:

History shows we were winning leagues at a canter and then regularly getting pumped in the European preliminary rounds. Considering we had money to spend, no real domestic challenge to worry about, etc...we quite simply should've been doing a lot better. 

The year we actually got through we were awful and couldn't compete, albeit Juve and Dortmund were great sides.

And yes 92-93 was great but that aside, first time around, his record in Europe was extremely poor. It was why Advocaat was brought in. 

Dont think ive seen anyone say anything else?

On 04/12/2017 at 20:02, sassaaaa said:

Can you imagine any of our last three managers treating the pampered fucks like that.

To be fair I can imagine Pedro giving someone a hard time. I'm just not sure he delivered his message at the right time or to the right people. That and the fact he seemed clueless as fuck in general didn't help.

1 hour ago, gsa said:

1 hour ago, Rfc52 said:

Dont think ive seen anyone say anything else?

Ill say it then, smith had the problem most big fish/small pond  teams had in europe around that time. We won leagues and cups against weaker teams but you have to remember, the champions league in those days was what it the name says, it was the champions of their respective countries. The champions league is such a closed shop now that there are less shock results as the big teams are too powerful.  While smith may not be the best boss ever in terms of the full history of the club he is rightly regarded in my opinion as the best in modern times. Ffs mcleish (and strachan with the tims)  dines out on the fact he got to the last 16 once 

3 hours ago, gsa said:

Yeah even though I love Walter I often wonder if we could have lifted a European Cup back then if we'd went foreign earlier. It's no offence to him but British managers and players just didn't have it back then in terms of style of play and ability with the ball in terms of playing a possession based game. That's why we used to get out played all the time and why we looked so much better when we went Dutch. We spent enough to be real contenders most seasons too. Great times so you can't complain but you can still think what if as it now looks as if those days were our only genuine hope of doing something in Europe.

Any one remember when the three foreigner rule was ended because that would have stopped us bringing in technically more gifted foreign players? Maybe a foreign manager would have done better even with it in force but it would still have been too difficult to do really well with a squad full of Scots given our standards where in decline even then.

Last of a great breed Walter Smith. Along with Alex Ferguson the players knew that going toe-to-toe with him was a fight they were never going to win. Nowadays players can do what the fuck they want because clubs will take their side instead of the managers. 

On 05/12/2017 at 00:06, gsa said:

Strasbourg,  Gothenburg, AEK Athens, Kaunas....

Walter was great domestically but he oversaw some utter shambles in Europe. People act know like he's a God.

Leeds, Marseille, Stuttgart, Lisbon, Fiorentina. The guy had a few shit campaigns but almost got us to 2 European finals.

I dont think we will ever see the likes of Walter again sadly, absolute legend.

Also have to say Lee can hold his head high, that interview confirms how much it meant to him being in the Rangers shirt, no shame in having a wee greet in the toilets about being captain :bow:

He sometimes came up short on the pitch, but his heart was always in it.

Walters love for the Gers for me was epitomised by the way he left the Scotland job without hesitation when the club needed him even though he was doing good. That's what a true bluenose and lover of our clubs heritage does without question. Hence his legacy will remain in tact regardless in my eyes.  Still love the chick young tunnel interview lol ???

On 06/12/2017 at 12:19, hugonot said:

i thought walter always carried himself well in post match interviews even in defeat he never lost the head unlike warburton

That’s because the press knew they couldn’t take the piss/lie to/abuse Walter Smith he just wouldn’t stand for it, he would have torn them a new arsehole in the style of that famous chick young Interview.

The likes of Warburton, Pedro, Murty and probably most managers that come to Rangers don’t have anywhere near the same fearsome reputation that Walter did and as manager of the most hated club in Scotland they are always gonna get shit from the scummy press in Scotland.

7 hours ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

That’s because the press knew they couldn’t take the piss/lie to/abuse Walter Smith he just wouldn’t stand for it, he would have torn them a new arsehole in the style of that famous chick young Interview.

The likes of Warburton, Pedro, Murty and probably most managers that come to Rangers don’t have anywhere near the same fearsome reputation that Walter did and as manager of the most hated club in Scotland they are always gonna get shit from the scummy press in Scotland.

Walter rarely got excited/panicked he knew when to keep it cool; i feel someone of the ilk of De Boer/McLeish would be the same if given the job tomorrow

• 1 month later...
On 05/12/2017 at 00:16, ForeverAndEver said:

Such a god, he took us to arguably our most impressive Euro away win ever, and a European final in the same season.

Got us a 0-0 at old Trafford with Kyle Hutton in the team and no other team left old Trafford that full season without conceding. And cheated out a champions league final.