Sign in to follow this  
MattyBlue

Longest period of time for a managerial search

Somewhat random but still related.

Anybody know what is the longest period of time we as a club have taken from sacking one manager to appointing the next?

and I'm curious to know the longest period of time in world football also if anyone can be arsed to figure that one out..

I was reading old archives from the time John Greig was sacked and there are some parallels to now, although the board back then were intent on getting the best man for the job.

I doubt many clubs the size of ours have taken this long to appoint a new manager at such a crucial stage in the season. The board need to take a long hard look at themselves. 

7 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I was reading old archives from the time John Greig was sacked and there are some parallels to now, although the board back then were intent on getting the best man for the job.

To be fair to them they did try to get Alex Ferguson then Jim McLean before bringing back Jock Wallace.

Something I’ve thought about before is that either Ferguson or McLean would have been successful, so there would have been no need for Souness in 1986, therefore no Murray, and we would be in a far better place today probably.

Just now, harlands plater said:

To be fair to them they did try to get Alex Ferguson then Jim McLean before bringing back Jock Wallace.

Something I’ve thought about before is that either Ferguson or McLean would have been successful, so there would have been no need for Souness in 1986, therefore no Murray, and we would be in a far better place today probably.

Yeah, I was reading that last night. Ferguson would have been great, and it might have been far far better in the long run.

Wouldn't have a problem with the length in taking us to appoint a new manager, if we had some transparency and were told it was going to be a long process!

Fuck King thinks it’s ok to spend 3 months getting the right guy in for a top position, so we have only just got going. 

2 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

John Greig resigned on the 28th October , and after Alex Ferguson then Jim McLean turned down the job we appointed Jock Wallace on November 10th .

Sure we waited a while after McCoist left before we got McCall in because Ashley’s mob wouldn’t appoint a new manager. Seemed like it was a really long time under McDowell anyway...

5 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

Ferguson and McLean knocked us back before we brought big Jock back home, it was just a shame the squad was befret of quality at that time as in truth the big mans 2nd spell was a struggle 

They probably want to go as many weeks as possible without paying a manager. The more it drags on the more they don’t pay

It’s as if they’re scared to make a judgement and farcical doesn’t even cover it.

I’m preparing to be completely underwhelmed as we’ll get a manager we could have  appointed weeks ago. 

10 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Fuck King thinks it’s ok to spend 3 months getting the right guy in for a top position, so we have only just got going. 

Makes it worse that it was at a critical point in the season. Doesn’t matter that we’ve beaten the sheep twice, the board are simply lucky in that respect.

7 hours ago, A.T.G said:

They probably want to go as many weeks as possible without paying a manager. The more it drags on the more they don’t pay

Good point 

39037021-4B88-4A68-AB27-C4E05BF73C82.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

Makes it worse that it was at a critical point in the season. Doesn’t matter that we’ve beaten the sheep twice, the board are simply lucky in that respect.

Wouldn't say the board are lucky, like most fans they would have been aware Murty was up to the job as caretaker manager from his time in charge last season. 

I thought the reason we were taking this long is because we were interviewing candidates and scouring for as many options as possible. Whether we have done that or not and settled for DM I don't know but I don't believe it. 

7 minutes ago, Real Ranger said:

Wouldn't say the board are lucky, like most fans they would have been aware Murty was up to the job as caretaker manager from his time in charge last season. 

It could have easily have gone wrong, Murty’s record isn’t great. I like the guy, but he’s had too many bad results against the pish in the league. A part of Murty’s success was a the destabilisation of Aberdeen due to us going after DM. 

We’ll have to disagree on this one I think.

1 minute ago, FlippinEck said:

I thought the reason we were taking this long is because we were interviewing candidates and scouring for as many options as possible. Whether we have done that or not and settled for DM I don't know but I don't believe it. 

Someone from admin mistakenly printed Derek McInness’s CV out 50 times and handed it to the board.

11 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

It could have easily have gone wrong, Murty’s record isn’t great. I like the guy, but he’s had too many bad results against the pish in the league. A part of Murty’s success was a the destabilisation of Aberdeen due to us going after DM. 

So part of the reason we beat Aberdeen 5-1 over two games is due to the fact we were apparently trying to sign their manager?! 

Talk about looking for reasons not to praise someone!

13 minutes ago, Del said:

So part of the reason we beat Aberdeen 5-1 over two games is due to the fact we were apparently trying to sign their manager?! 

Talk about looking for reasons not to praise someone!

I have already praised Murty, I have no idea why you’re so easily irritated. To deny that us trying to sign McInnes has had a negative effect on the sheep is a bit silly. 

Weird.

5 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

His record isn't too bad when you take into account how awful the teams had been performing when he took over, there was a couple of dissapointing results without doubt, but first time around he took over, the team were playing with no confidence, a few games later he had turned it around and we came away with a well deserved draw against the beggars.

This time around he was faced with a similar situation and though we suffered a couple of terrible results, he has again managed to pick them up,, changed the formation and finished off with a couple of well deserved victories against the sheep.

As you say, we'll have to disagree on this one.

7 minutes ago, Jack The Flipper said:

To deny that us trying to sign McInnes has had a negative effect on the sheep is a bit silly. 

But we never made a move until after the 2 games, not Murtys or Rangers fault Aberdeen can't cope with press speculation.

You could look at it another way, Murty more or less said in an interview he would welcome the job, you could say the uncertainty over his future could have affected his performance in the 2 dissapointing defeats.