David Bates

Lloyd

Bates  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Should he be kept at the end of his contract?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, McKissock said:

You could say the same for the Progres away game, though. He had a poor game and that has negatively reflected upon him since. Mostly because he's not played. 

I don't think he's good enough long term, but that's twice away from home against Aberdeen he's shown himself to be capable and he didn't disgrace himself at all towards the end of last season. I'd give him another year and try to get him out on loan for the second half of the season in the top division - if the club can afford to do so.

He’s not shown anywhere near enough end of m8

34 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

I'd keep him, he'll be on very low wages and is a good centre half. He's not great with the ball at his feet, but you don't always need that in the SPFL

You would retain a football player who is not great with the ball at his feet?

Just turned 21, inexperienced fringe player who's been inconsistent in one of the most demanding positions on the pitch?

Not many are great centre-backs when they're so young, but he's shown promise in flashes and has the basic attributes for a centre-half...good coaching on what he needs, i.e.  work on his positioning and decision making and he may be a player, so I'd be inclined to offer him 2 years on similar terms as he's on now with a carrot of "prove yourself".

25 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I said yes purely because he's cheap and on the basis we dont have anyone younger to be his level of backup, if theres a young boy in the u20's looking promising then bin bates as he lost a lot of his development years not playing regularly 

Young Aidan Wilson who played against the sheep last year looked every part the CH. Composed, assured and strong in the tackle.  He's 18, and has represented Scotland at under 16 and 17 level. If we're going with a youth, I'd expect him to be a top prospect, one of the best in the country, and likely recognised with the youth national squad to some extent whilst developing.

Wilson really looks a better prospect all round imo, and that's before considering who else is in the development squad who could be promising.

Bates is never a Rangers class player even as 4th pick.

1 hour ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Is this a serious question?

He's one of the worst centre halves I've ever seen who eventually put in a performance fitting of a Rangers centre half on Sunday.

He's chronic and will spend his career in lower leagues in Scotland.

That's not even close to being true and you know it.

18 minutes ago, Siwel said:

That's not even close to being true and you know it.

It is, the nightmares he gave me at Semi Final at Hampden watching him let punts from the goal keeper bounce before then trying to get back into position. Did he not also play in the 5-1 game at Ibrox? 

Aberdeen at Ibrox when we lost the record, he got the ball from Fod and blootered it straight off their striker. Luckily it ran to safety. All over the shop.

Progress - no need to explain.

Aiden Wilson looked far more capable when he came in than Bates ever has. 

People let one good performance go to their heads and go well overboard. Same could be said about one bad performance to be fair.

Yes for me, decent backup. Still time for him to improve under decent coaching, albeit i'm not sure how much work can be done at his age on being able to actually control a football.

I'd like to see him play under a decent manager, something that couldn't happen with Pedro.

2 hours ago, Creampuff said:

He’s been horrendous in 90% of his appearances for us. 

He played well against Aberdeen, but the guy looks like he’s going to shite himself every time he gets the ball.

As well as everybody in the ground lol

Not sure I get the Aiden Wilson thing either tbh. Was alright but I can't say I saw enough that made me think he was anything special.

That's not to say he won't be, but I thought he was decent, no more.

4 hours ago, Smell the hotdog said:

It is, the nightmares he gave me at Semi Final at Hampden watching him let punts from the goal keeper bounce before then trying to get back into position. Did he not also play in the 5-1 game at Ibrox? 

Aberdeen at Ibrox when we lost the record, he got the ball from Fod and blootered it straight off their striker. Luckily it ran to safety. All over the shop.

Progress - no need to explain.

Aiden Wilson looked far more capable when he came in than Bates ever has. 

People let one good performance go to their heads and go well overboard. Same could be said about one bad performance to be fair.

He did not play in the 5-1 game.