Danny wilson

jjbscotty12

There was a phrase used in the Souness / Butcher era (and probably long before that?) of "Fortress Ibrox" - meaning that the defence should be solid, impermeable, unbreakable. My own opinion is that this doesn't happen when Danny Wilson is in the team. I think Bruno Alves is solid - a wall, and we defend much better when he plays. Any coincidence that he was out when Dundee and Hamilton beat us?

Danny Wilson not a first pick for me. As a few have said - we need to lighten the wage bill due to existing contracts of others.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Gustav said:

Definitely.

More than good enough to be a solid 3rd choice and I think he could even be a first team player for us if he had someone decent alongside him.

Is he? I'd be interested to see his win percentage as a Rangers CB in the SPFL. Can't be more than 50%?

Our 3rd choice CB should be as good as our first two - to push them. 

Just now, Leeds_Bear said:

Is he? I'd be interested to see his win percentage as a Rangers CB in the SPFL. Can't be more than 50%?

Our 3rd choice CB should be as good as our first two - to push them. 

No idea what his win record is. Good luck getting a first team quality player in to sit on the bench.

Just now, East Enclosure Row N said:

What chance do youths have of breaking through if we carry third choice players?

So you don't have squad members? Just first team players and youths?

Similar to the Bates thread, he’s played well of late. He isn’t good enough to be first pick to take us to the next level but he is far batter backup than Bates is. We can’t get rid of the entire squad so he is a squad filler that should be retained. If he wants first team football then he should be sold, not released and picked up by a Hearts, Aberdeen, etc for nothing. 

5 minutes ago, Gustav said:

No idea what his win record is. Good luck getting a first team quality player in to sit on the bench

Haha, what?! Seriously? Other teams manage it, why shouldn't we? It's up to the player to make sure they're not sat on the bench. That's my whole point.

Currently we don't have the level of quality to push the starting 11. 

I like him tbf. He’s a good CB and people forget he’s won 3 trophies with us, not many in the squad have won any trophy never mind 3. 

All he literally needs to do is go back to when he played with us the first time and treat every game as seriously as he treats Aberdeen, tarriers etc. When he’s on his game he can be a great CB he just needs consistent concentration 

4 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

He played well in both games against Aberdeen, Hearts and Partick. That's 4 from 6.

Even the other two games I think people over blame him for things, McCrorie solely at fault for the opener against Hamilton. Wilson wasn't at fault for either Dundee goal IMO. It seems we get beat by a combination of bad finishing and other individual mistakes and Wilson takes the blame for it, absolutely mental.

Wilson should get a new deal as 3rd of 4th Choice CB if the wages are not too high.

He didn't play well in the Partick game IMO, every chance for Partick came (bar one from what I can remember) from Wilson stepping up and poor positioning. 

I accept he would be good enough as back up but only if he drops his wages, he's not done anything to earn a new deal. It's players like Wilson which will hold us back from progressing and winning the league. We need to be getting better quality in and out the starting 11. 

I ask myself if I'd be happy with Danny Wilson being first choice centre back for 4 or 5 games in a row while our 'first-choice' was out injured and the answer is I wouldn't.

He's had plenty of opportunities to prove himself at the club and rarely shown the ability required for a title winning team. 

• 3 weeks later...

If there's one player who typifies the physical and mental weakness throughout the club, it's him. Not a coincidence that all of these diddy teams with fat, immobile strikers can beat us up with long balls aimed right at him, knowing he'll shite it.

So no. He's not mediocre, just crap.