Alves

jjbscotty12

7 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I take it you mean he was standing off the attacker?  I would agree with you there.  He was right to try and block the shot and unlucky the ball ended up in his own net.

That and he was more interested in appealing for offside when the ball was played down the wing. He had an absolute stinker of a 30 seconds and it cost us a goal. He cost us at the weekend as well. 

Must admit he’s never reached the heights I expected him, 7 trophies in 7 different countries and an experienced international? Looks very poor when you stack up his medals and games. Probably about 5 years too late IMO

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, LochendBilly said:

You know what? I am just happy with the win. Easy to find negatives but it's a team game.

We're all happy with the away win but it's easy to find the negatives because they were so evident throughout the 90 minutes. 

Big improvement needed starting on Saturday. 

Would agree with TBAR, Alves had a really poor first half but wasnt helped by piss poor defending by both of our fullbacks. 

Their goal was partly Alves, partly Tav (where was he)? and partly Barjonas who lost his man.

Much better in the second half and was the organiser once Bates came on.

Wilson was easily our best defender.

Today reminded me of when Kiernan was playing for us, back then as in today's match our defense was under constant unrelenting pressure for one simple reason - our midfield then and today was totally overrun.  A midfield who constantly gives the ball away and is second to every tackle puts pressure on a defense that makes for a hard day at the office.  Did well to only lose one goal, sooner we get Dorrans and Jack back the better.  

I think hes far better than some seem to realise. I guarantee Wilson or any other Cb would pick him to play alongside over any of the others we have, or have had for the last 5 years. 

Hes prone to errors but hes havin to deal with two fullbacks who clearly cannot defend. He wins most in the air. His reading of the game and distribution is usually good. 

1 hour ago, WWTC said:

I think hes far better than some seem to realise. I guarantee Wilson or any other Cb would pick him to play alongside over any of the others we have, or have had for the last 5 years. 

Hes prone to errors but hes havin to deal with two fullbacks who clearly cannot defend. He wins most in the air. His reading of the game and distribution is usually good. 

Where was the midfield for the first goal, ball watching!!!.

2 hours ago, Amac9 said:

Amazed at how many caps he's got for Portugal.

Not impressed with him one bit since he's joined.

Don't worry he will be playing at the world cup against the worlds best, while we struggle against shite SPL sides and clowns come on here and berate him, just about sums up the shite supporters Rangers have these days, too many years in the lower leagues have made them lose their grip on reality.

6 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I take it you mean he was standing off the attacker?  I would agree with you there.  He was right to try and block the shot and unlucky the ball ended up in his own net.

You're correct - there was nothing wrong with Alves trying to block the shot.

His defensive mistake happened before the attempted block, and it's a mistake that is very common with our defenders.

Todays most successful teams have their defenders attack the forward when he's on the ball by moving towards him,

reducing the amount of space and time for him to maneuver or do his tricks. 

By Alves standing off him as you say - he gives too much room, allowing even a mediocre player to get past him.

Not only does he stand off him, he, like many of our defenders, peddles backwards, giving the forward even more time and space.

Defenders today must attack the forward quickly - pressing him aggressively, giving him absolutely no space or time to maneuver.

The only defender who comes close to doing this is young McCrorie.

I'd prefer us to play with a back 3 because our fullbacks are hopeless at defending

If we kept Tav, and John, in the team, they'd be wing backs, and we'd have a tight 3 in the middle, making it harder for teams to play through us. 

Our 2 full backs play as if they're wing backs most of the time, which leaves us short defensively when we lose the ball in midfield. 

McCrorrie, and/or Bates, would fit in easy enough, and we can change formation without changing personal, if it's not working one game. We need to be fluid, so that we can change formations, during a game, using the players on the park.

Dear God. Bruno was fucking fine. If you are looking for players to have a g at , let's start at Holt, Tavernier, Candeias, Morelos, all pure shite. Windass, goal apart, shite. Shiting out of tackles, passing straight to Hibs players. Shite. Not once did i worry when Bruno was on the ball, or near it. 

45 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Dear God. Bruno was fucking fine. If you are looking for players to have a g at , let's start at Holt, Tavernier, Candeias, Morelos, all pure shite. Windass, goal apart, shite. Shiting out of tackles, passing straight to Hibs players. Shite. Not once did i worry when Bruno was on the ball, or near it. 

Jeezo 

3 hours ago, terminator said:

You're correct - there was nothing wrong with Alves trying to block the shot.

His defensive mistake happened before the attempted block, and it's a mistake that is very common with our defenders.

Todays most successful teams have their defenders attack the forward when he's on the ball by moving towards him,

reducing the amount of space and time for him to maneuver or do his tricks. 

By Alves standing off him as you say - he gives too much room, allowing even a mediocre player to get past him.

Not only does he stand off him, he, like many of our defenders, peddles backwards, giving the forward even more time and space.

Defenders today must attack the forward quickly - pressing him aggressively, giving him absolutely no space or time to maneuver.

The only defender who comes close to doing this is young McCrorie.

Imagine trying to lecture Bruno Alves on the theory of defending :lol:.

The lads old fs. Can’t be be running after boys like McCrorie. 

8 minutes ago, cp9 said:

Err - but he's right.  You can't back off like that and let the attacker get into the area.  It's a recipe for losing goals.  You have to make the tackle and if the attacker gets past then you hope you've delayed him enough that a team mate can cover, or you give away a free-kick but not a penalty.

That said, I do think Alves aerial ability is real plus for us.  If the fullbacks could defend, his lack of pace would be less of an issue.

3 minutes ago, OhW said:

That makes no sense, what does it even mean? After watching lower league pish for 4 years, a Euros winner and Portugal international should stand for his quality.

I think there’s an element that have tainted memories of before we went down the league - like before it happened we steamrollered every team and played terrific football with a full team of superstars.

I think people forget the grind, Walter’s style of play, and all the Christian Dailys, Greg Wilde’s and Kirk Broadfoots we had. 

52 minutes ago, cp9 said:

If you understood the tactic, and clearly you don't, you'd realize that it actually takes less running. 

And, fs, you don''t even know that it is Savco fc personnel who run after boys.

1 minute ago, terminator said:

If you understood the tactic, and clearly you don't, you'd realize that it actually takes less running. 

And, fs, you don''t even know that it is Savco fc personnel who run after boys.

Clearly me and Alves both eh. 

11 hours ago, bluenoz said:

To be honest, I expected a lot more from our summer signing. Have yet to see him really crunch anyone.

Never really understood this. People go on about the roughness of the Scottish league, Bruno included, yet he seems to be judged on the fact he hasn't 'crunched' anyone. Thought he was great last night.