Alves v Hill

bordersbear

5 hours ago, bluenose244 said:

No thanks.

Clint Hill left a cult hero with his cult hero status intact. I'll be forever grateful for that goal at the piggery,

absolute scenes! 

I agree, would of loved Clint to get another years contract but I'm glad he never because he would of been a whipping boy this season and left with most being glad he was away.

He has left with his head held high and a place in our hearts

5 minutes ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

I agree, would of loved Clint to get another years contract but I'm glad he never because he would of been a whipping boy this season and left with most being glad he was away.

He has left with his head held high and a place in our hearts

Correct. 

We seen it happen with Lee McCulloch and it's potentially happening with Kenny Miller now, that season too far can almost undo all the good and have a damaging effect on a players legacy. 

A bit like boxers who go that one fight too far, don't know when to quit and then the sport itself retires them. 

There is a Carlisle fan who delivers to my work on a Friday, I always ask how Clint is getting on and the boy always sings his praises. Maybe found his level. 

I think it's probably a case of Hill over achieving and possibly Alves slightly underachieving. When Hill came, I think it's fair to say not many wanted him here and he didn't get off to a great start. However, given the shambles of a season and the stage of career Hill was at, he will always be remembered fondly for some of the performances he put in and the way he carried himself. He done well in trying circumstances.

Alves is probably penalised for having such an illustrious career and pedigree and maybe some of us were expecting too much to an extent. For me he's been fine. Not amazing but certainly not atrocious. 

Hopefully he's over his injuries, and fully settled, and now we have a set formation, with Wilson, McCrorie, Holt & Jack (when available) providing more protection and more importantly we are winning we can see even more from him over the rest of the season...............

2 completely different careers which have meant different things for each.

Hill got slaughtered for his first 10 games and did on after that. Playing for us was the biggest stage of his career so he enjoyed it more for the end of his career.

Alves has won major honours everywhere and used to playing in front of 50k. He is a more cultured player than people expected.

Both have done well for us and both have had unfair criticism in their early part of their time here.