Walter behind the scenes?

superallysbears

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was common knowledge he was getting advice from Walter for the 1-1 at Parkhead last season 

someone said to me the other night they seen Murty on the mobile in the dugout and getting notes handed to him but unsure how true that was 

2 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

Anyone think Sir Walter was behind the tactics or involved in someway with how the team played against the junkies the other night? 

No Sir Walter wouldn't have set up with a diamond consisting of two youngsters against a team with good width. 

We’ve got an inexperienced manager at the helm who seems to be doing a good job at man managing. 

Would be stupid for him not to use all the support that Rangers can offer. Not many better to look to than Walter. The fact that he’s taking this help shows a lot about his desire to learn and improve the team. Couldn’t see MW or PC doing that.

7 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

It was common knowledge he was getting advice from Walter for the 1-1 at Parkhead last season 

someone said to me the other night they seen Murty on the mobile in the dugout and getting notes handed to him but unsure how true that was 

He definitely got notes passed to him during the Aberdeen game at Ibrox.

Pedro and MW would not have taken Sir Walter's advice and that showed. GM is obviously listening to Walter and it shows, Murty appears to have good man-management  skills and is smart enough to listen to someone who has been there, won it and knows the particulars of being Rangers manager. This can only improve GM as a coach and manager.

6 minutes ago, ZZed said:

Pedro and MW would not have taken Sir Walter's advice and that showed. GM is obviously listening to Walter and it shows, Murty appears to have good man-management  skills and is smart enough to listen to someone who has been there, won it and knows the particulars of being Rangers manager. This can only improve GM as a coach and manager.

I just watched his press conference link, he minds me a bit of Walter after the Souness era.

I am getting more impressed by GM by the day.

When your direct experience of managing a first team - never mind a first team of a club of the stature of Rangers - is as thin as Murty's its not surprising you take whatever opportunity arises to listen very carefully to vastly more experienced former managers, and then having listened and asked whatever questions come to mind, to heed the advice and decide whether or not to follow it.    Ultimately as interim manager its Murty's call on who to pick for the team and how to set them up and how to motivate them.    Advisers advise.   That's all they do. 

It's great that Walter is able and ready to chat with Murty and I'm sure Murty will have found a great deal of benefit from the chats.    It's good he is prepared to listen and to seek out good advice.

All of that does not necessarily make Murty the best choice for permanent manager.    A novice, learning from books and coaching manuals, sitting at the feet of more experienced football folks, coaching a development team are all well and good and all very useful on the pathway to becoming a first team manager.   But imo a learner manager, even one who can have invaluable chats with people like Walter, is not what Rangers need right now.   If he is the man the board appoint then fair enough.  That's what we'll have to live with for better or for worse........and live with the decision for a long time as I cannot see King and a board wanting to do another re-run of a manager appointment over the next 3 seasons.    I think they will want a whole lot more direct relevant experience and ready-made leadership from a much more seasoned manager.   We'll see in the next few weeks when they unveil who they have picked.........or if they can't land someone who meets all or most of their selection criteria then maybe its Murty extended to the end of the season.

But if they just pick Murty without concluding their recruitment process by bringing it to a timely and orderly end then they have no chance of attracting any sort of meaningful quality of manager if they have to go back to the market in the next few years.   No chance whatsoever.    The market for good managers is limited and governed more and more by affordability.   Wasting peoples time by saying you are inviting applicants, or investing in head hunting simply won't cut any ice with credible candidates as they will have seen us run a stalking horse recruitment only to pick an insider.    IMO the board only picks Murty when they have finished their search and found no-one better.   If that happens it'll tell us a lot about the inability of the board and the name of the Club to attract quality managers.  

6 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

If GM can be a success for Rangers, in Scottish football, it would show how behind Scottish football is.

We need a Mr Wallace at this moment in time.

Or maybe it would show how good a manager Murty is turning into?