midfield

bluenoz

5 minutes ago, gsa said:

I agree with this. They didn't have a nightmare game, their attitude wasn't particularly poor, they weren't too casual or lax. They just played to their ability. They did it last Saturday and on Wednesday night and we got lucky. 

The playing staff have been grossly mismanaged and we're now left with a squad full of players who aren't good enough. 

We don't have a single good ( not great, just good) centre midfielder. That's a shocking position to be in. 

Exactly - made a similar point myself ten minutes ago in another thread. 

These players are playing at their level - they don’t have it in them to go 10-13 game winning streaks to have us winning 

we play 3 defensive midfielders in Holt, Jack and McRorie at Ibrox at home to St Johnstone who parked the bus and we wonder why we couldn’t score and create more? 

Relying on 2 luxury players like Windass and Candaies who are inconsistent to combat that defensive 3 and do all the creative work is too much of an ask 

we need to get used to this fact 

it’s not Murty’s fault either who else could he have realistically played from the start? Once again it’s the negligence and mis management with spending and player recruitment from previous managers that’s fucked us big time 

3 hours ago, bluewhitevanman said:

Why did he bring on Niko after we lost a goal? The guy offers nothing He’s brutal now he was some player years ago but without being over dramatic he rossiter and Alves are stealing a wage from us that could be used to bring in a couple of decent players. I thought I was going to have a heart attack when him and Alves were just making a cunt of everything they tried. I don’t know if anyone else notice that when 3-1 down he tried to do a World Cup chip over to holt who just touched it with the top of his and it went out for a by kick then niko starts clapping as if it was good that holt TRIED to get his head on it. We are a shambles and murty is getting hung out to dry by our board. 

That changed the formation int the diamond tbf, but we had no other choice to play there.

Seen Candeias going off, was happy, seen this cunt come on and was back to being depressed :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I will never understand the recruitment from the summer in 2016; it just lost all sense of proportion. Kranjcar wasn't even good a year and a bit ago, what did Murty expect of him today that we haven't seen already? 

Wouldn’t read too much into that it was just a desperate last throw of the dice tbh when you seen the bench it’s all he could have done 

5 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I will never understand the recruitment from the summer in 2016; it just lost all sense of proportion. Kranjcar wasn't even good a year and a bit ago, what did Murty expect of him today that we haven't seen already? 

I can see why Niko came on, yes we all know he's past it and slow, etc, etc but he's still our best chances of carving out a decent pass of shot from the edge of the box.

3 minutes ago, gsa said:

I can see why Niko came on, yes we all know he's past it and slow, etc, etc but he's still our best chances of carving out a decent pass of shot from the edge of the box.

Little chance of that when he keeps losing the ball or cannot get near it.It was obvious when he joined that he was already finished and no amount of time would sort him out. I am sure most of us thought he had retired, which he mor or less had done before we were stupid enough,as we usually do, to give him a pension.

3 hours ago, the brown brogue said:

I said it myself in the match thread, teams always seem to score 20-odd yard crackers against us. Simple fact is though goals from outside the box are ten a penny for most other teams in world football, it just that because we never see it from  Rangers player it always seems like such a surprise when teams do it to us. Its probably also the reason that Foderingham concedes so many from outside the box, he's clearly not used to dealing with many long range efforts in training.

The likes of Holt can’t kick it far enough, unless it’s going backwards.

16 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Wouldn’t read too much into that it was just a desperate last throw of the dice tbh when you seen the bench it’s all he could have done 

Where was Pena today?

At least he’s got a goal or five this season?

Just now, K.A.I said:

Good question 

no idea 

he plays a game then isn’t seen for 2/3 weeks 

kinda used to it 

I’m not a fan, but even I can see where a few goals this season might have seemed a bit more like ‘form’ than a guy who hasn’t done anything meaningful for a year.

1 hour ago, Turnberry18 said:

I will never understand the recruitment from the summer in 2016; it just lost all sense of proportion. 

Warburton's signings have  completely crippled us.  He brought in an entire squad of dross many of which are on contracts until 2020.  Pedro forced a few out but our next manager will still needs to get rid of MOH, Halliday, Dodoo, Forrester, Rossiter, Kranjcar, Miller, Hodson, on a permanent basis.  

Pedro was criticised heavily but I do think his player recruitment was better.  Pena and Dorrans have scored ten goals from midfield.  Candeias leads the league in assists.  Morelos is the leagues top goal-scorer.  Alves and Cardoso haven't worked out as well as expected but are still preferable to the likes of Senderos and Kiernan.  Declan John looks like a good prospect too.  The biggest errors seem to be with Herrera and giving Miller a new contract.  

Still a heck of a lot of work to be done getting the shite out the door and getting a better standard of player in.  

1 hour ago, Turnberry18 said:

I could actually see why murty thought of bringing krancjar on when he did . It was quite a flat , going through the motions type game where we needed something to try and break through their defence . It didn't help that just as krancjar was coming on they scored their second . The whole pace of the game changed and krancjar was out of his depth at that point to put it politely . 

5 hours ago, Ivybank said:

Every manager gets their tactics spot on against us,which tells you a lot about our players,their pish  that they can't overcome pub players

Everybody looks organised against us.

Can’t say I ever feel we look organised against anyone.

Lots of schoolboy-like running around, with folk being on one wing here, another wing there, dribbling the ball across to where we want it, rather than passing it (except where there’s a chance to play a 65 yard diagonal, where winger, fullback & ball all appear in the same place at the same time!).

I could go on.....

12 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Everybody looks organised against us.

Can’t say I ever feel we look organised against anyone.

Lots of schoolboy-like running around, with folk being on one wing here, another wing there, dribbling the ball across to where we want it, rather than passing it (except where there’s a chance to play a 65 yard diagonal, where winger, fullback & ball all appear in the same place at the same time!).

I could go on.....

It makes you wonder who is actually running Rangers, all the previous managers talk a good game but then the team plays pish.

Imo the problems go a lot deeper than the managers and maybe the Miller scenario gives a clue to the problems, who knows.

1 minute ago, danger ranger said:

It makes you wonder who is actually running Rangers, all the previous managers talk a good game but then the team plays pish.

Imo the problems go a lot deeper than the managers and maybe the Miller scenario gives a clue to the problems, who knows.

You have to wonder?

5 minutes ago, OneDavidCooper said:

Hang on a minute, only 24 hours previously I was being criticised for questioning whether Jason Holt was as good as people think. The consensus seemed to be that he was top quality.

Just so I know, is he officially not very good again now?

Anyone that thought Jason Holt was top quality at any point in his Rangers career is a full blown handicap 

It's just totally average. 

The worst part it the acceptance of this team to fold and accept defeat.

Every player at this team regardless of ability should be given 100% every game, nothing less.  

The sad fact is the teams that play against us give everything, this always being the case against the Mighty, years gone by we had the class to outplay most, now we have to learn to out battle them first.

Seems all our midfielders are very similar in type and skill level. You look back to previous teams where we had 1or 2 destroyers winning ball and breaking up play like McCall and Ian Ferguson, creative players like Gazza, Souness etc and a midfielder that could take on and beat a man like Laudrup.

We also had wild card type players that could do something different like Albertz, Gio etc. When you go back through Rangers teams since I started going in the early 60's we always had a good mix of players bringing something different to the game not like todays carbon copies in midefield. I know we don't have the cash but at least try to sign different types of players who can be brought on as required.

Everyone talks about getting a creative player in first but I would prefer a ball winner, hard man type of player as he can set the tone for the whole team. Oh what I would give for the two mentioned earlier - Ian Ferguson and McCall. If the one didn't get you the second one would. Fantastic!!:dance:

It was simply a wrong choice to put jack back in the team yesterday, he was pish and we ended up with 3 holding midfielders but we are short of players with any kind of quality. The team actually needed Kenny Miller in there yesterday as we don’t have many other options 

3 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Warburton's recruitment gets far too much scrutiny on here, especially from people who at the time were massively praising the recruitment of many of these signings(yourself included) such as the likes of Barton, Rossiter, Thompson etc and majority were adamant we needed a 'hard man' in midfield and more experience...

Barton was a good signing but sadly he was terribly mismanaged by Warburton who choose to throw the guy under a bus rather than change his philosophy.  Rossiter's been injured and Thomson has never been given an opportunity.  We STILL need a CDM and 'hard man' type in that midfield.