backup

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

There was a thread on here slating him when we were linked with him again as he was shite against hibs apparently.

He's 16 he will be good and bad. The players who have been at big clubs and let go for varying different reasons would shock people. 

It happens. Parents sometimes take kids out. I was taken out of Dundee Utd and sent to QP. DU hadn't done anything wrong but my granda thought it be better for my development so I went there. 

It's not always about talent or size. Folk get wound up over things we know nothing about. No surprise bawsburst is agitating though 

I thought he had a good game against Hibs tbf.

Somebody had wrote up a big list of players that we had let go that were playing in Scotland and there was quite a few.

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Somebody had wrote up a big list of players that we had let go that were playing in Scotland and there was quite a few.

See tbh mate we have let guys go who've been shite and those who've been good. It's like Chelsea with KDB. He was woeful for them. Just not at the right level. He goes away and he's now one of Europe's best. It's a tough world at football clubs and players who are let go end up excellent and every one complains. But nobody mentions the correct 300 or 400 that have been let go over the years 

The lack of understanding is breathtaking, levein said we spent the last 3 years teaching him to play the ball forward, but he has always been a stand out since he came here.

Makes me wonder what he was being taught at auchenhowie, if anything.

1 minute ago, backup said:

The lack of understanding is breathtaking, levein said we spent the last 3 years teaching him to play the ball forward, but he has always been a stand out since he came here.

Makes me wonder what he was being taught at auchenhowie, if anything.

Some people definitely don't understand youth football.  You seem to be one. 

Wouldn’t be too critical can go either way at that age. Growth spurt, girls, school, lack of interest can all come into play and change the expected path at that point. Seen plenty of boys that were deemed not good enough at that age go on to make a living from the game and plenty that were supposed to be superstars released by 16. We’ve got plenty right on the academy front of recent years. 

19 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Did I say he was a bad player ?

He's 16 and he's turned in a good performance against that mob, now we've to greet that we let him go at 13? it happens. 

Hahahah i've had one there. 

He’s put in a few good performances since he went into the team apparently

7 minutes ago, OhW said:

Barcelona seem to do this quite a lot too. Difference is they can actually afford to buy their players back.

Yes they do.

Often that appears a strategy with first option to buy back. Perhaps it suits them to release then pay to buy rather than clog up their system and loan players out. And they also seem to get quite a few right that they do develop and keep.

With us I think typically we have let smaller or more technical players leave whilst retaining bigger more athletic sorts. The released ones then physically develop when maturing elsewhere and suddenly become more attractive players than those we kept on. Who incidently still don't make it so we punt them in favour of buying players.

As I say, hopefully changes are happening.

1 minute ago, coopsleftboot said:

Some people definitely don't understand youth football.  You seem to be one. 

Really? I wonder if people may well be on to something when it is suggested, in an underlying way sometimes, that coaches too often put emphasis on strength and build and less on actual talent on the ball. I'd like to know more what criteria we are using to write players off at 13/14 years old, and often. 

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Yes they do.

Often that appears a strategy with first option to buy back. Perhaps it suits them to release then pay to buy rather than clog up their system and loan players out. And they also seem to get quite a few right that they do develop and keep.

With us I think typically we have let technical players leave whilst retaining bigger more athletic sorts. The released ones then physically develop when maturing elsewhere and suddenly become more attractive players than those we kept on. Who incidently still don't make it so we punt them in favour of buying players.

As I say, hopefully changes are happening.

This is the concern.

That we go for strength and physique might not be the case; I don't know, it might be the case or it might not, but we are developing central midfielders and defenders that get into the team, but when is the last time this club developed forward players, and creative types? We have Hardie, although whether he makes it or not is anyone's guess; he certainly shouldn't be written off at his age. It might help that Hardie has height, but there are not enough of those attacking creative players coming through for the time and attention we appear to be giving this. Is that because we place so much emphasis on height and strength? Who knows.

32 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

A lot of young boys bounce about clubs - particularly at that age - until they find one that fits them.

With any list of players who have left us and gone on to do well, you can almost guarantee a large chunk of them will have also played, and moved on, from other clubs too before finding a good match for them.

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

That we go for strength and physique might not be the case; I don't know, it might be the case or it might not, but we are developing central midfielders and defenders that get into the team, but when is the last time this club developed forward players, and creative types? We have Hardie, although whether he makes it or not is anyone's guess; he certainly shouldn't be written off at his age. It might help that Hardie has height, but there are not enough of those attacking creative players coming through for the time and attention we appear to be giving this.

You mean like Lewis Macleod who was about 5 stone wet?

Or Kal naismith who was about as strong as a wet fart? Or wee Murdoch or the young boy we signed from.city (can't mind his name) 

Just now, Rfc52 said:

You mean like Lewis Macleod who was about 5 stone wet?

Or Kal naismith who was about as strong as a wet fart? Or wee Murdoch or the young boy we signed from.city (can't mind his name) 

Can't say I am surprised that you forgot the tanned ones name.