Murty until the end of the season

Bears r us

Friday, 22 December 2017, 12:05

by Rangers Football Club

Rangers announce today that Graeme Murty has been appointed manager until the end of the 2017/18 season.

The Club’s directors believe Graeme has demonstrated he is capable of handling this task successfully and are confident the players will continue to respond to his leadership in a positive manner. With so much still at stake in the current season this decision was not taken lightly but now that Graeme has been given full control he can work towards the obvious targets with greater focus.

It is important to concentrate on the remainder of this campaign – the Scottish Cup and maintaining a challenge at the top of the Scottish Premiership – and with Graeme now in charge until at least the end of the season, he and the players can tackle the challenges ahead with renewed confidence and belief.

Graeme has already secured a number of positive results – notably against Aberdeen home and away and Hibernian, also away – in recent weeks and more results like those are required.

It should be noted that Graeme will have the final say on which additions will be made during the January transfer window, which should be perfectly understandable given that he’ll be working longer term with the first-team squad. This will allow him to make important judgement calls.

Graeme said: “It is a genuine privilege for me to be made manager until the end of the season. It’s a huge honour to be asked to do so and I will continue to give everything I have to ensure we have a positive second half of the campaign. There is still so much to play for and we cannot let our fans down.

“They have been incredible. They have given me so much great support during my two spells in the dugout and I would like to thank everyone for their backing. I would also like to thank the Board for showing faith in me and I will work tirelessly with the players and coaching staff in order to improve our league position and be successful in the Scottish Cup.”

Rangers Managing Director Stewart Robertson added: “Graeme has shown he has the qualities and desire to take charge of the first-team and he will have full control of first-team affairs between now and the end of the season. He has a first-class attitude and has secured favourable results against our nearest rivals in recent weeks. He deserves this chance to make an impact in the second half of 2017/18.”

Director of Football Mark Allen said: “Graeme will have the final say in player recruitment in January and an input into the type of players required next summer.”

Graeme will be bringing in additional support and there will be more on this in the days ahead.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived