Arthur Numan

RangersMedia

What an absolute class act. Just met him and stood fanboying over him for about 20 mins as he took time to talk to me and my old man about football - and how much he hates the filth. 

Interesting part I wanted to post about though, was that he said when Caixinha was appointed he gave a list of players to the club (for free) which were completely ignored (he’s an on-off scout at AZ Alkmaar and involved in the Dutch national team) - cheap, young and talented from various countries including Scandinavia and Eastern Europe (the markets loads of us have posted about saying we should be shopping in). 

He also said if he, and some of his ex teammates were ever approached by the club for scouting, coaching or any general motivational stuff they’d be more than happy to help out. Can’t understand why we don’t take advantage of things like this - guys like Numan have a pedigree in playing and now coaching/scouting. 5 of the youth players at AZ have stepped up into the first team squad this year as they sit 3rd in the Eredivisie - guy must know how to spot a player. 

Tl;dr ex Gers are happy to help the club, we don’t take advantage of them enough. And Arthur Numan fucking hates the filth. 

3 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

What an absolute class act. Just met him and stood fanboying over him for about 20 mins as he took time to talk to me and my old man about football - and how much he hates the filth. 

Interesting part I wanted to post about though, was that he said when Caixinha was appointed he gave a list of players to the club (for free) which were completely ignored (he’s an on-off scout at AZ Alkmaar and involved in the Dutch national team) - cheap, young and talented from various countries including Scandinavia and Eastern Europe (the markets loads of us have posted about saying we should be shopping in). 

He also said if he, and some of his ex teammates were ever approached by the club for scouting, coaching or any general motivational stuff they’d be more than happy to help out. Can’t understand why we don’t take advantage of things like this - guys like Numan have a pedigree in playing and now coaching/scouting. 5 of the youth players at AZ have stepped up into the first team squad this year as they sit 3rd in the Eredivisie - guy must know how to spot a player. 

Tl;dr ex Gers are happy to help the club, we don’t take advantage of them enough. And Arthur Numan fucking hates the filth. 

Exactly we have talent out there we are just ignoring.

2 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

JJ scouting Morelos is perfect example of how using ex players can work in this scenario. Hope we use them more in the future.

One of my greatest memories is bumping into Arthur Numan in a strip club and saying "hello" to him, he had a bit of a drink in him and he started pointing to his nose asking " are you a bluenose?". Within minutes he had his arm round me and we were bouncing up and down singing Follow Follow. What a buzz. 

5 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Exactly the people we should be asking, I’ve got a feeling though that they don’t brown nose our current owners so they get ignored. 

And I agree OP, meet Arthur a couple of times and you couldn’t meet a nicer gentleman. 

He did mention a few unsavoury things about the current setup, that I don’t really want to post - but it’s safe to say your assumption is fairly accurate. The fact that he is still willing to help is testament to his character and love for our club. 

Mate im actually a bit taken aback by how nice he was :lol:. Like, I know he was just standing about waiting for his family but he didn’t have to take time to talk to us and he actually started asking us about what we’re doing here (it’s my sisters engagement party) and wished us well etc. Amazing :lol: 

1 minute ago, psb07158 said:

He did mention a few unsavoury things about the current setup, that I don’t really want to post - but it’s safe to say your assumption is fairly accurate. The fact that he is still willing to help is testament to his character and love for our club. 

Mate im actually a bit taken aback by how nice he was :lol:. Like, I know he was just standing about waiting for his family but he didn’t have to take time to talk to us and he actually started asking us about what we’re doing here (it’s my sisters engagement party) and wished us well etc. Amazing :lol: 

Interrupted him doing an interview in Hospitality one day when I jumped up from my seat because I had a big coupon up. Apologised and sat back down but he kept glancing over and I thought fuck he’s pretty angry at me. Anyway interview over he makes a bee line for my table and thought fuck here we go he’s going to get tore in ?? couldn’t be more wrong he was only interested in my coupon how much and what teams I had then sat talking about football and the days game for a few minutes. 

Top top block and so are all the Dutch Ex Players I’ve meet. 

Met him outside marks and Spencers in Argyll street circa Sept 98, we compared each others choice in microwave meals. I must say, I was disappointed in his choice of Chicken Pasta Nicoise - having had it a week previous I found it rather heavy on the olives, and quite salty. Needless to say, they pulled it within the year.

I also met Michael Mols in ASDA Govan, and seriously could not believe he was buying farmstores beans and tattie scones!! Oliver Tebilly also enjoyed buying frozen chickens from that store as well.

Met him a few years back and he seemed more buzzing to be talking to me!

An absolute gent. 

Found it interesting Barry Ferguson was asked which former teammate he'd want in an OF game and he said Numan. Said it was like he was Glasgow born and bred and understood the traditions.. :crabflute:

56 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Don’t be coy - spill the beans!

And enjoy the party!

40 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Met him outside marks and Spencers in Argyll street circa Sept 98, we compared each others choice in microwave meals. I must say, I was disappointed in his choice of Chicken Pasta Nicoise - having had it a week previous I found it rather heavy on the olives, and quite salty. Needless to say, they pulled it within the year.

I also met Michael Mols in ASDA Govan, and seriously could not believe he was buying farmstores beans and tattie scones!! Oliver Tebilly also enjoyed buying frozen chickens from that store as well.

Can just see the 4 of you on Come Dine With Me!

1 hour ago, SkylineBlue said:

One of my greatest memories is bumping into Arthur Numan in a strip club and saying "hello" to him, he had a bit of a drink in him and he started pointing to his nose asking " are you a bluenose?". Within minutes he had his arm round me and we were bouncing up and down singing Follow Follow. What a buzz. 

Pics or am calling bullshit :boobs:

1 hour ago, psb07158 said:

As i keep saying, scouting is critical. We have ex players all over the world eg Fergie in Australia, Laudrup denmark, Reyna usa, Papac bosnia thelist goes on and on.

Heres one example right now - JJ Finland. That scouting dept better have its arse in gear 

2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Pics or am calling bullshit :boobs:

:lol:

I did get a picture with him outside the club before he left but it was on my phone that I had about 9 years ago when it happened. My pal, who's a celtic fan, was forced to take it after I had ditched him for about half an hour talking to Numan. It'll last in my memory forever.

Numan was a great player no doubt about it, but saying he or his  ex teammates would be happy to offer motivational stuff etc is just a bit doubtful. Any manager should have confidence in his own staff and skill to not need ex-player involvement and advice. 

And didnt he refuse to sign a new contract because the terms were vastly reduced on his previous requirements i.e. instead of taking lower wages he decided to 'retire'. Well thats what i read 

17 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Numan was a great player no doubt about it, but saying he or his  ex teammates would be happy to offer motivational stuff etc is just a bit doubtful. Any manager should have confidence in his own staff and skill to not need ex-player involvement and advice. 

And didnt he refuse to sign a new contract because the terms were vastly reduced on his previous requirements i.e. instead of taking lower wages he decided to 'retire'. Well thats what i read 

He was on £10,500 a week and they offered him £2,700. Bain at his finest...

1 minute ago, mearns loyal said:

He was on £10,500 a week and they offered him £2,700. Bain at his finest...

Yeah I know poor from the club but for a player to decide to chuck it altogether rather than play for minimum basic wage doesn't go down well in my estimation. Especially now when we are struggling. Was he offering free advice etc when we really needed it 2/3/4 years ago.

Dont want to be Numan bashing but at the same time I'm not enthralled by quotes of he was so willing to help in our time of need.  

9 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Yeah I know poor from the club but for a player to decide to chuck it altogether rather than play for minimum basic wage doesn't go down well in my estimation. Especially now when we are struggling. Was he offering free advice etc when we really needed it 2/3/4 years ago.

Dont want to be Numan bashing but at the same time I'm not enthralled by quotes of he was so willing to help in our time of need.  

Who in the world would take a 75% pay cut in any job if they didn't have to, and who wouldn't be insulted by the mere suggestion they should? 

I'm sure your boss would love to test your convictions on this matter.