John, Wilson, Bates, Tav - our best defence?

Unlike many - I am an Alves fan, but the constant passing back to the keeper over the last few weeks is mind numbing to watch. Bates was like a breath of fresh air when he came on. Not faultless - but very good.

So the big question - with Bates in for Alves - is this now our best defence (John, Wilson, Bates, Tav)? Who would displace any of these four from a starting line up in your opinion? Wallace - nah. Hodson - God no! Cardoso - as a reserve along with Alves only for me.

And....anyone else think we are pretty short of defenders in a first team squad that has umpteen midfielders?

I would like to see that young lad Wilson get a run out if possible, the couple of times he played towards the end of last season he looked a prospect, I would be happy to never see Alves in a Rangers shirt again if possible, the man came with a big reputation and has failed completely to live up to the hype, he was the one signing since 2012 that I was genuinely excited about, but now I see 19 year olds showing him what heart means when up against it,  no matter what he done previously I now see him as a fraud and a coward.

Best defensive performance, yes. When we are favourites at home to the rest of the league, I'd like to see how we cope. It's concentration that is the key when we lose the ball at home. We defended like warriors today, but when we tend to switch off in much 'easier' games.

I said to my brother yesterday morning that Bates should start because first and for most he is a good defender. Quite frankly if there is a cross and he clears it, that’s good enough for me. 

As for the rest of the defence more than happy with them today however it’s that level of consistency they need to find, it’s all well and good for Jon and Tav to have there men in back pockets today but it’s all about stopping the cross from Killie and St Johnston. 

But not a day for negatives. WATP

I've always thought that Bates has been unfairly criticised on here, I think he's got the raw materials for a very good centre half, he's a solid unit, strong in the air and his timing of interceptions is decent too. His distribution is awful but as long as he clears his lines and keeps it simple that can be forgiven, especially considering he's only 21 and has a lot to learn. Reminds me in style of Marvin Andrews, he needs a footballing centre half in the mould of Boumsong to play alongside him.

I think they've earned the opportunity to start the next game together - but I don't buy into the Alves hatred, his injury record is frustrating but he's not been poor or a shitebag. Simply expected more from him so far but the four who ended the game today should be in possession of the jerseys in the next game. 

Young Bates was superb for me today and Wilson has been a rock lately.

The Danny Wilson one is strange. I think he has coasted along since his Rangers return from Hearts and not until Cardoso and Alves stopped playing together when he came back in has changed him. Gave him the kick in the arse he needed and he is now possible captain material for me. 

Wilson's physicality for a centre half has always worried me. He rarely wins headers and today Boyata killed him one on one at every set piece.

Short term i'd move McCrorie back there next to Wilson once we have midfielders back.

Bates got MOTM in the sheep game a few weeks ago and another terrific performance today and MOTM. He needs to start with Wilson, Wilson has looked a different player under Murty. then we have McCrorie. I would like to see us like this.

Tav.........Bates............wilson..........john

.....................McCrorie............................

Alves can fuck off in jan or sit on bench. 

We don’t have a “best defence”.

Next game Bates could be the worst CB at the club that wouldn’t hold down a spot at Stranraer.

The RB & LB hold their own. No surprise. CB pairing the fans will have a different opinion on every other week. I’ve already read people say this has to be the back 4 all season which is a stupid position to take.

1 hour ago, Rfc52 said:

No not for me. If all fit. It's tav Wilson one of alves/Bates and Wallace 

Think Wallace is a better defender than John but John is much much more direct going forward 

Wallace was a better defender than John, but his performances had been going downhill for over a season IMO before he got injured.  No guarantee he'll get back to what he was.  He's only 30 so still should have some time left, but isn't likely to improve.  

If we don't sign a left mid in Jan, I'd prefer John to Windass with Wallace at LB.  If we do, then I feel John should be first choice LB

On 31 December 2017 at 00:16, Prso's headband said:

Bates is immense under pressure. When he has time  to think he fucks it. Suits him being no nonsense defender

Needs a footballing CB to play alongside him. A bit like Basil Boli was better with Gough or McClaren beside him..                    

On 30/12/2017 at 20:04, East Enclosure Row N said:

Unlike many - I am an Alves fan, but the constant passing back to the keeper over the last few weeks is mind numbing to watch. Bates was like a breath of fresh air when he came on. Not faultless - but very good.

So the big question - with Bates in for Alves - is this now our best defence (John, Wilson, Bates, Tav)? Who would displace any of these four from a starting line up in your opinion? Wallace - nah. Hodson - God no! Cardoso - as a reserve along with Alves only for me.

And....anyone else think we are pretty short of defenders in a first team squad that has umpteen midfielders?

Every one fit and at peak of game it’s Tav - wilson - alves - Wallace every day of the week - it’s great we have some depth and competition coming from The others and it is that type of competition we need and that depth of squad to deal with injuries and suspensions. 

Alves is a better CH than Bates but I'm far from convinced by his reliability and commitment. Bates was my motm on Saturday and imo should retain the jersey as a result.

Re Bates, I think he's a better player in a backs to the wall type came where its physical and against teams that will attack us. Like the sheep and bheast games. Where we dominate, and he has too much time / possession I think he has looked poor.

I'd also like to see what Wallace at full back brings with John ahead of him.

But for the next game, I wouldn't argue with seeing the 4 listed in the OP.