Murty vs Walter

The Dude

This came up in another thread but think it's probably worthy of its own.

One of the big complaints is his lack of experience and dropping unnecessary points. Nobody will argue we shouldn't have done better in some of the games we've lost so far under Murty but as an inexperienced manager, these kind of things happen as you're finding your feet.

So I looked at another manager's record when he took the reins despite having never been a first-team boss in his own right and was really surprised by what I found.

If Murty wins his next two games (Fraserburgh & Aberdeen) he'll have an identical record to Walter Smith after 20 games as Rangers manager.

Walter's First 20 games:                                                   

St. Mirren (a) lost 2-1

Aberdeen (a) drew 1-1

St, Mirren (a) won 1-0

Dundee United (h) won 1-0

Motherwell (a) lost 3-0

Aberdeen (h) won 2-0

St. Johnstone (h) won 6-0

Motherwell (h) won 2-0

Hearts (a) lost 1-0

Queen's Park (h) won 6-0

Dunfermline (h) won 4-0

Partick (a) won 2-0

celtic (a) won 2-0

Hearts (a) won 1-0

Falkirk (a) won 2-0

Dundee Utd (h) drew 1-1

Sparta Prague (a) lost 1-0

St. Mirren (a) won 1-0

Hibs (n) lost 1-0

Aberdeen (h) lost 2-0

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, The Dude said:

True, the team Walter had was MUCH stronger compared in relation to the opposition we faced at the time. He inherited a league winning side full of internationals

So as mentioned why compare the two? Get back to me when Murty achieves what Smith did.

1 minute ago, Real Ranger said:

To be fair, plenty have compared Murty to Smith to illustrate why they don't believe he should be manager.

Just idiots though Smith was an assistant at Dundee Utd under Mclean and won the European championship with a Youth team with Scotland not as inexperienced as the Googlers think i guess.

Just now, Smile said:

Just idiots though Smith was an assistant at Dundee Utd under Mclean and won the European championship with a Youth team with Scotland not as inexperienced as the Googlers think i guess.

So he wasn't a manager? Just an assistant and a youth coach but definitely not an actual manager?

Jimmy Bell hasbeen sat in the dugout for 30 years. Must be dead experienced as a manager

2 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

No Rangers supporter I know would take coin from an organisation that's harmed the club. 

That's a bit unfair on Rangers supporting sports direct employees.

Anyway it was interesting to see that Muty's early managerial record is similar to Walter's.

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So he wasn't a manager? Just an assistant and a youth coach but definitely not an actual manager?

Jimmy Bell hasbeen sat in the dugout for 30 years. Must be dead experienced as a manager

Honestly, theres no hope for you at all, good work trying to belittle Smith no doubt you will be backed by like-minded idiots.