***Florida Cup Thread***

Captain Hilts

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, bob1873 said:

Will Rangers be invited back for 2019?  If so when would that be announced I’d really like to head back great way to start the year!

We've an invite back but I don't think we've taken it up because we might have a new manager who might have his own plans or the maybe even the SPFL might cancel the winter break or something. Don't think it's wise to accept the invite back at the moment. 

20 hours ago, K.A.I said:

We've an invite back but I don't think we've taken it up because we might have a new manager who might have his own plans or the maybe even the SPFL might cancel the winter break or something. Don't think it's wise to accept the invite back at the moment. 

The winter break has been confirmed.  Be a real shame for the fans not to return it was a brilliant trip. 

4 minutes ago, bob1873 said:

The winter break has been confirmed.  Be a real shame for the fans not to return it was a brilliant trip. 

Aye but there might be a new manager and he would have his own ideas for winter break. I'd rather not go back. It was good but I'd rather do something different.

3 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Aye but there might be a new manager and he would have his own ideas for winter break. I'd rather not go back. It was good but I'd rather do something different.

Needs to be somewhere warm:dance:

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Captain Hilts said:

Probably and hopefully not. 

Sorry do you mean we’ll participate but you’d prefer us not to? A wee January trip to Florida was the business mate. 

23 hours ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Ridiculous tournament, total waste of time sending the squad out to that in a supposed break.

It was more to do with getting the brand back out there imo, and a cracking away trip for the Bears, was defo not a waste of time and I hope we’re back again this year.

4 minutes ago, CoatbridgeBear said:

It was more to do with getting the brand back out there imo, and a cracking away trip for the Bears, was defo not a waste of time and I hope we’re back again this year.

Of course it was, barring a good bunch of bears who had a total ball over there - it was a ridiculous format and to be honest, a midwinter break should be exactly that. A chance to rest the squad, particularly as we are playing games in June/July.

2 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Of course it was, barring a good bunch of bears who had a total ball over there - it was a ridiculous format and to be honest, a midwinter break should be exactly that. A chance to rest.

To be fair mate we utilised the whole squad and used it to see who could do what in different positions etc, we also signed a few new boys before it so it was a perfect way to get the squad gelling. Win win.

Just now, CoatbridgeBear said:

To be fair mate we utilised the whole squad and used it to see who could do what in different positions etc, we also signed a few new boys before it so it was a perfect way to get the squad gelling. Win win.

Travelling half way across the globe, it can have an effect playing in a relatively short break. Particularly as you go back to freezing cold Scotland for a SC game against Arbroath - just don't think it is good preparation, a rest is more important. Sure, send out players on the fringes or coming back from loans, but not the first team.

2 hours ago, bob1873 said:

Sorry do you mean we’ll participate but you’d prefer us not to? A wee January trip to Florida was the business mate. 

We probably won't take part next year and I'd rather we didn't. As pointed out above the winter break should be treated as such, especially as it looks likely we'll be playing competitive football from early July for the foreseeable future. 

12 hours ago, Captain Hilts said:

We probably won't take part next year and I'd rather we didn't. As pointed out above the winter break should be treated as such, especially as it looks likely we'll be playing competitive football from early July for the foreseeable future. 

True but we will go somewhere warm and play a couple of games which is what the Florida Cup does.  So I don’t see the problem really. Time will tell I guess.

On 25/07/2018 at 23:37, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Ridiculous tournament, total waste of time sending the squad out to that in a supposed break.

Made us money, got 'the brand' out there and at the time gave us a platform to build on

Wasn't a waste of time at all

• 2 weeks later...

Archived