New Bates Contract

BATES IN 

Rangers defender David Bates set to be offered new contract after celtic performance

The former Raith Rovers stopper's contract runs out in May and his agent has been invited to Ibrox to discuss an extension on his current deal

Rangers will next week kick off talks with Parkhead hero David Bates for an extended contract.

The 21-year-old stopper came on against celtic after less than 20 minutes with veteran Bruno Alves hobbling off — and he played a key role in the 0-0 draw which provided a massive boost for struggling Gers.

Bates was one of Rangers top performers in the 0-0 draw against celtic

Murty had worked with Bates at Under-20 and first team level and is looking to extend the defenders stay

SunSport understands Bates’ agent has been invited to Ibrox to open negotiations over the defender’s present deal which is up at the end of May.

It was only his sixth appearance of the season and 14th game overall since completing a permanent move from Raith Rovers a year ago.

But the manner of his display against first Moussa Dembele and then Leigh Griffiths — forming an impressive partnership with Danny Wilson — has convinced boss Graeme Murty he deserves improved terms.

Bates will join the rest of the squad for Saturday’s flight to Florida for winter break training and two friendlies.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deserves it.

I've watched with interest at his performances this season. He's taken a lot of stick from a lot of people, myself included, but he's starting to show some real promise.

The guy who reviews the Youths (Elfidelo??) didn't think much of him, and his is an opinion I respect greatly given the time he takes to watch the youngsters, but I think even he'll be impressed with how Bates has come along. Solid defender.

7 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

Bates and Wilson should both get new contracts

They are. 

Agree with above though, 1 year extension for Bates. Put in good performances v tarriers & sheep but still don’t rate him that highly. Long way to go.

7 minutes ago, PRW. said:

They are. 

Agree with above though, 1 year extension for Bates. Put in good performances v tarriers & sheep but still don’t rate him that highly. Long way to go.

This.

Too quick to build up people after one decent performance and write people off after one shite one.

I’d wait until end of the season to judge whether offer him a new deal. Got to put in more than two good performances to win a deal for me. 

22 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Shouldn’t be anymore than a year extension and see how he gets on from there.

Need to learn our lesson and not get saddled with people for years because we give them long contracts while their ability is questionable.

It’s a big gamble signing a young player on a years contract as a year doesn’t give any security, two years would be a better option. 

Then you have the problem of the player turning out to be a top player and walking away for basically nothing other than a development fee

Hes clearly improved , and still learning . Last season I didn't think he was very assured , but a year is a long time at his age , and if he can carry on like he did last Saturday , I think it's a good move . 

GM knows him and he clearly feels he has the ability to be an asset . 

22 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

This.

Too quick to build up people after one decent performance and write people off after one shite one.

I’d wait until end of the season to judge whether offer him a new deal. Got to put in more than two good performances to win a deal for me. 

His contract is up at end of season. If we wait that long and he plays out his skin, what's to stop someone down south coming in and taking him for free.