New Bates Contract

5 minutes ago, Gazzalivesforever said:

His contract is up at end of season. If we wait that long and he plays out his skin, what's to stop someone down south coming in and taking him for free.

Watching his performances last season I very much doubt that would happen. 

The guy is SPFL standard at very best imo.

Needs to do it for substantially longer than 2 good performances before tying him down. Think people forget how bad he was last season.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, piperpete said:

It’s a big gamble signing a young player on a years contract as a year doesn’t give any security, two years would be a better option. 

Then you have the problem of the player turning out to be a top player and walking away for basically nothing other than a development fee

It’s more of a gamble giving a guy that’s had 2 good games a longer contract.

Time and time again we’re stuck with dumplings earning a small fortune for shit all in return.

It’s David Bates we’re talking about here. I’d take the risk of losing him for a development fee or free rather than being stuck with him for years if he’s shit.

47 minutes ago, MasterD said:

It’s more of a gamble giving a guy that’s had 2 good games a longer contract.

Time and time again we’re stuck with dumplings earning a small fortune for shit all in return.

It’s David Bates we’re talking about here. I’d take the risk of losing him for a development fee or free rather than being stuck with him for years if he’s shit.

We would kill our youth system in one go going down that route as no one would come to us knowing that they would get a years contract, two has to be the minimum as players can and have downed tools the last 6 months of a contract.

6 hours ago, MasterD said:

Shouldn’t be anymore than a year extension and see how he gets on from there.

Need to learn our lesson and not get saddled with people for years because we give them long contracts while their ability is questionable.

Not sure this is the best plan.

He is young, and has a lot of growing to do.  Giving him a year extension doesn't serve us at all, if we intend on growing and selling him ( which should be our plan with talented youth)

I'd give him a 3 year deal, so if he continues to improve, we can still demand a healthy fee for him.  If he has  one year extensions, we could always easily lose him for nothing.

He's had umpteen poor performances and his last one was a good one, replacing Alves. How come we have so many players that blow hot & cold. Windass is another one.

It may well be that Bates was driven by the fact that Alves is a premadona - and he's looking at cementing his place, if that's the case then he should be having that mindset every game.

2 year contract at this stage would be the correct length. By this time next year we should have a better idea if he can perform consistently at a high level. If he has shown he can we extend it if not he will have a year to run and might be able to get a fee for him.

6 hours ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Watching his performances last season I very much doubt that would happen. 

The guy is SPFL standard at very best imo.

Needs to do it for substantially longer than 2 good performances before tying him down. Think people forget how bad he was last season.

He never defended badly at any point that I can remember.

35 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

He never defended badly at any point that I can remember.

Last season he was awful, gives me the fear thinking of his performance in the semi final still.

Was honking in luxembourg also, albeit not the only one. Was far from impressed with his Easter Road performance too couple weeks ago.

Bates is a solid SPFL defender but more of a seige defender (knicked that from somewhere, not sure where) rather than a ball playing CH.

He is far more suitable to playing in a game where our box is under attack rather, in say an away game. 

He is what, 21 & recognises that his game isn't complete & as a defender, has a potential 20 more yrs to improve the element that aren't his strong suit.

However, a manager require both types of defenders in his toolbox & I'm more than happy for him to get a new 2 or 3 yr deal. 

31 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Last season he was awful, gives me the fear thinking of his performance in the semi final still.

Was honking in luxembourg also, albeit not the only one. Was far from impressed with his Easter Road performance too couple weeks ago.

I see you are going down the MPH thread road.

He has been reliable when called upon this season and you really need to let go of your argument that he was poor last season. You do realise players, particularly young players, mature and grow as professionals on a yearly basis? 

What games last season did his basic defending let us down? Give me some examples of what you are basing your argument on? His distribution was, and still is, a concern but that can be worked on.

1 minute ago, plumbGER said:

He has been reliable when called upon this season and you really need to let go of your argument that he was poor last season. You do realise players, particularly young players, mature and grow as professionals on a yearly basis? 

What games last season did his basic defending let us down? Give me some examples of what you are basing your argument on? His distribution was, and still is, a concern but that can be worked on.

Dry yer eyes, I don’t think he’s good enough. Not sure why you’ve such an issue with that opinion.

Hope he proves me wrong but he needs to do it on a more consistant basis before winning a new deal for me.

Bates is exactly what you need under pressure, get it tae fuck. When he doesn’t have time to think he’s great and when he’s constantly marking players his concentration levels are brilliant. 

When he has time to think is when he struggles. You could actually say that about our whole team tbh. 

Just now, Smell the hotdog said:

Dry yer eyes, I don’t think he’s good enough. Not sure why you’ve such an issue with that opinion.

Hope he proves me wrong but he needs to do it on a more consistant basis before winning a new deal for me.

:lol:the irony.

You are the one greeting about last season, so you don't have any examples? Thankyou.

Just now, plumbGER said:

This is spot on.

Too many players are being written off too quickly. He was a young kid from Raith fucking Rovers who was brought in initially to play in the U20s. He forced his way into the side and as is invariably the case with young players he made the odd error here and there. Not once do I recall last season thinking he was awful. This season, apart from Kilmarnock away, he has done well. And yet some, despite the lad having barely made double figures in appearances, are writing him off. I do not get it. We aren't the Rangers who can spend millions on players anymore. We have to buy cheaply and develop players. Like we are doing successfully with Bates. It really pisses me off that some posters think no one can have a bad game and that if they do they are a shite bag. We are where we are and need to adapt, supporters as much as club and players.

:lol:the irony.

You are the one greeting about last season, so you don't have any examples? Thankyou.

? I’ve already told you why I don’t think he’s good enough and it’s based on his performances last season. But you call that greeting you’re stranger than I thought. 

None of his performances last season were impressive. Cup semi final, Aberdeen at home when we lost the record. 

No going round in circles with you, not the only one who thinks he needs to do it more consistently. If he continues the performance on Saturday for rest of the season I’ll be first to put my hand up and say I was wrong about him.

13 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

We picked him up from Ross County for about £20k if my memory's correct, so he'll be on buttons in terms of wages. 

I'd give him an extra 2 years, we'll know within 12-18 months if he's worth keeping.

It was raith rovers he came from.

Just now, Smell the hotdog said:

? I’ve already told you why I don’t think he’s good enough and it’s based on his performances last season. But you call that greeting you’re stranger than I thought. 

None of his performances last season were impressive. Cup semi final, Aberdeen at home when we lost the record. 

No going round in circles with you, not the only one who thinks he needs to do it more consistently. If he continues the performance on Saturday for rest of the season I’ll be first to put my hand up and say I was wrong about him.

You are the strange one acting dick hurt over Bates in a greeting fashion similar to your greeting in the MPH thread.

You mention games you thought he was poor, that's not exactly examples though is it? What did he do that was so poor, bearing in mind the whole team let us down in those games.

1 minute ago, Orange Persson said:

What young defenders agent is going to settle for a one year contract?  An agents job is to get a deal and security for the player.

Some agent,if that is all he can get you. 

Exactly. It is bollocks to think you can get away with a one year offer for a kid. 

You are the strange one acting dick hurt over Bates in a greeting fashion similar to your greeting in the MPH thread.

You mention games you thought he was poor, that's not exactly examples though is it? What did he do that was so poor, bearing in mind the whole team let us down in those games.

??? It’s a forum, canny get upset every time someone has a different opinion to you. No sure why you’re so upset about it mate.

You’re the only one who keeps mentioning MPH? 

I’ve got examples but I’m no wasting my time getting into it with you, it’s pointless. Really couldn’t give a fuck whether you agree or not, I’ll judge at the end of the season. Last I’ll say on it.