Kris Boyd On Summer Signings

Laudrup1984

He certainly doesn't hold any punches. Personally I think he's a little unfair. A number of signings haven't quite worked out but to say they just came for a jolly I don't agree with.

THEY came for a jolly — and that’s exactly what they’ve had.

Carlos Pena, Bruno Alves, Fabio Cardoso, Eduardo Herrera and Dalcio are all poised to leave Ibrox this month.

Goodbye and good riddance to five flops who should never have been anywhere near a Rangers jersey in the first place.

Over £5million has been wasted on this bunch — at a time when Rangers can ill-afford to squander £5.

And if Pedro Caixinha is willing to sign the biggest joker in the pack for the second time in six months I’ll charter a plane and fly Pena back to Mexico myself.

Much like the man who brought him to Ibrox, the midfielder has been an unmitigated disaster.

His heart and soul has never been in it and Rangers should cut their losses just to send him packing.

His fellow Mexican Herrera has made just two starts, the same with the pitiful Portuguese winger Dalcio.

Cardoso has shown in flashes what he can do but he’s never a Rangers centre-half in a million years.

The only time there were marks on his face after a match was when he was smashed by an opponent.

Rangers centre-halves of old would have kicked the head off their granny to keep strikers at bay.

And that leads us to arguably the biggest disappointment of them all, Alves.

He just hasn’t stepped up when his team-mates have needed him most.

It’s remarkable to think there’s every chance he’ll be at the World Cup this summer.

Yet, if that’s to happen, it won’t be through his performances for Rangers.

That’s why I don’t think he will return to Scotland — I think it’s certain he’ll find a new club in his native Portugal.

The whole process has been a shambles.

From the appointment of Caixinha himself to the bankrolling of his so-called Rangers revolution.

Everyone has to share the blame.

History tells us the kind of players brought in by Caixinha were never going to cut it in Scotland.

They can’t adjust to the physical demands of the football and they especially can’t cope with our climate.

It’s no surprise that Alves has picked up so many niggling injuries.

I almost played more games in Turkey than Alves did the last time he was in a climate even colder than ours following an £18.5million move from Porto to Zenit.

I am not being xenophobic.

Nine times out of ten, players coming in from Scandinavia prove a success in Scotland.

The fact Alfredo Morelos has arrived from Finland is probably the reason he’s settled as well as any of Rangers’ summer signings.

Players from South America will always struggle.

Any signing represents a gamble but Rangers’ summer transfer policy was reckless to say the least.

They are now paying the price and Graeme Murty has been left with another rebuilding job — Rangers’ third in as many years.

That is not healthy for any football club — especially not one the size of Rangers.

But there is no option left open to Gers right now — Murty has to go in there and tear the place apart.

And you can see that Murty is going down the British/Scottish route.

For me, it’s about striking a balance. Bringing in homegrown players doesn’t guarantee you success either.

I’ve said it on these very pages — you need to be a special kind of player AND person to play for the Old Firm.

Many have pitched up in the past — their CVs seemingly speaking for themselves — only to disappear a few months later with their tails between their legs.

You can have all the ability and natural talent in the world but you must also have the mentality to cope with life at a club the size of Rangers.

Those who have been a success have lived and breathed it — those who have failed have bailed out, many never to be seen or heard from again.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I didn’t need it to tell you Pena, Alves, Cardoso, Dalcio and Herrera wouldn’t cut it at Rangers.

They were way, way out of their collective depths.

And believe me, it will feel like Rangers have won the lottery if Caixinha takes Pena back in this transfer window.

Herrera, too, looks set for a return to Mexico and for him a more normal, balanced way of life.

Dalcio I doubt you’ll hear of again — is he still even here?

Cardoso may well carve a career for himself back in Portugal but he wasn’t the commanding centre-half that Rangers were crying out for.

As I said earlier, there were never any marks on his face at the end of games. He didn’t want it enough.

I think he was let down at times by Alves — but the lot of them have let down Rangers.

Alves hasn’t shown the heart and leadership Rangers believed they were investing in.

Instead, it’s been left to David Bates and Ross McCrorie to step up.

Alongside Danny Wilson, that’s exactly what the youngsters have done.

It added up to a disastrous transfer window for Rangers.

If Murty is to stand any chance of staying in the hotseat beyond the summer, he has to get this one right.

Meanwhile, I’m ready to drive the dross to the airport.

And it’s probably just as well Morelos and Daniel Candeias have done okay otherwise I’d have needed a Park’s bus to get them there.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite like Boyd’s honestly usually, but this is sensationalised rubbish. 

Mexico is in Central America, not South. The fact he not the journalist who wrote it don’t know that is emabarassing. 

He says Cardoso never left the field with a mark on his face. Ignoring the broken nose he got from Bowman. He’s not been great but you couldn’t fault his effort at all. 

As for claiming we shouldn’t have even considered signing Alves? What planet is he on? Granted he hasn’t quite lived up to the billing, but we absolutely had to sign him once we knew he was available and willing to come 

Very poor show all round from Boyd. 

6 minutes ago, Ryju84 said:

@Laudrup1984

Would you sign Boyd?

Not for me mate. There's an argument to be had that if he played for us all season he'd have potentially scored more goals but if he's not scoring goals he doesn't offer too much. He has a nose for goal and is no doubt a better finisher than our current strikers but he misses a shitload too. He missed so many during his last spell with us. Also, he wouldn't suit our style of play and overall his goals return has been fairly average since he left us for the past 4 years or so. He's not getting any younger either. He's having a little purple patch just now but i'd be surprised if he maintained this IMO. We must be aiming higher, much higher than Kris Boyd if we want to move forward..............

I liked his last column but this is a poor show.

I don't blame any of the players particularly. Some of them should never have been signed eg Dalcio, Hierra and others it just didn't work out for eg Alves, Cardoso.

I still think that there's real talent in Pena. Maybe it's the club and the backward Scottish football culture's fault as much as anything that he hasn't been a success.

And as pointed out previously, Mexico is in fucking North America not South.

I thought he made a few valid points in his last article, and summed the state of the club from a fan's point of view, but it sits a bit uneasy with me when a current player is airing his opinions on fellow professionals. 

To call fellow professionals "flops" and "pitiful" is a bit rich considering how out of shape Boyd himself was in his last spell for us. He should either wait until he finishes playing before he airs his point of view, or at least be a bit more professional about it. 

I assume his editor has had a word about the tone as he has to justify that he isn't xenophobic, which it does border on coming across as. As I say, he got praise from me last week, but that's just a hack job.

The players mentioned haven't been great at all, and we will get rid of them. I think there is a player in Cardoso, and tbh he should have a bit more respect. There are issues at the club, but the last thing we need is someone who is one of our own coming out like this. More constructive next time please.

So he’s saying that Alves should never have been signed?  Didn’t read it all.

If he is then he’s talking absolute bollocks.

I said before he signed we should wait and see how he performs but to say we should never have signed him is miles off.