Fraser Aird - Video

julescotia

I hope he goes on to make a football career he is pleased with.  He's at Dunfermline now I think.    I'm grateful for his contribution in helping us to move through the lower divisions.  Despite his pace he seemed to me to stubbornly refuse to try to take defenders on on the outside and even with acres of space at Ibrox ahead of him on the right was not able to exploit that.    I remember one game where from near enough the half way line and near enough at the touchline next to the SJ stand he just decided to shoot for goal and missed by a miles.    It wasn't a cross or anything just a hopeful 'maybe get lucky' swipe at the ball towards goal.   McCoist in the technical area directly opposite me just turned around and walked back toward the tunnel.  No other gestures, no words of encouragement or criticism, just turned away.   I suspected then that the player's abilities were such that regular first team football at Ibrox would be hard to achieve.    

I'm not meaning to have a go at him.  He was trying, he did apply lots of energy, and he did get some useful goals.   It's just a pity he did not have that extra set of ingredients that enable young players at Rangers to make the jump into successful first team regulars.